2005 – Toots & the Maytals, “True Love”

2004 – Sean Paul, “Dutty Rock”

2003 - Lee Scratch Perry, “Jamaican E.T.”

2002 - Damian Marley, “Halfway Tree”

2001 - Beenie Man, “Art And Life”

2000 - Burning Spear, “Calling Rastafari”

1999 - Sly And Robbie, “Friends”

1998 - Ziggy Marley And The Melody Makers, “Fallen Is Babylon”

1997 - Bunny Wailer, “Hall Of Fame: A Tribute To Bob Marley's 50th Anniversary”

1996 - Shaggy, “Boombastic”

1995 - Bunny Wailer, “Crucial! Roots Classics”

1994 - Inner Circle, “Bad Boys”

1993 - Shabba Ranks, “X-tra Naked”

1992 - Shabba Ranks, “As Raw As Ever”

1991 - Bunny Wailer, “Time Will Tell: A Tribute To Bob Marley”

1990 - Ziggy Marley And The Melody Makers, “One Bright Day”

1989 - Ziggy Marley And The Melody Makers, “Conscious Party”

1988 - Peter Tosh, “No Nuclear War”

1987 - Steel Pulse, “Babylon The Bandit”

1986 - Jimmy Cliff, “Cliff Hanger”

1985 - Black Uhuru, “Anthem”

The Marleys

Between them, the Marley children have won a total of seven of the 25 Reggae Grammy Awards that have been awarded between 1985 and 2009!

Anyway, we have to give thanks yet again to Roger Steffens, the man who, more than any other, was instrumental in getting the reggae genre to be a Grammy Award category. Now, I can only hope that I live to see the day when reggae rises to the level where the award is handed out live onstage, instead of at some pre-event ceremony.

Comment

not only the that another set of grammies invoked the marley name or the wailers!!!

bunny seems to have made up his mind to recoup some of what he may have lost by quitting the wailers.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

and by extension, the marley association has 11 of the 25, if tosh and bunny is added... 12 if yuh include lee scratch perry...
        'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

notice that two of his grammy wins are direct references to bob marley in the forms of tributes...
          'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

Yeah and Uhuru and Stell Pulse use to listen to Bob..add 2.

Comment

And the Women?!

Makes you wonder, though, if women in Jamaica actually make records!! If they make records, do people actually listen to them?!

Oh, sorry about that statement…. I forgot that the late American Puma Jones was a woman and so shared Black Uhuru’s Grammy Award 24 years ago… How could I feel that women recording artists are not recognized at the Grammy Award level…. my bad

Then, there are Cedella and Sharon, generally lost in the mix of the Ziggy and Stephen Marley-dominated Melody Makers.. How could I even believe that male chauvinist Jamaica does not appreciate or recognize its women artists.... my bad

Comment

Uh oh

To the top we go.....

Comment

Ongle Shabba and Knot up hair Beenie (sorry Bricktop)are baldheads.

Comment

Alright sorry,sean Paul Shaggy...but the influence of Rasta on reggae is clear. My thing is we J'cans would have probably selected different..even though the lot is impressive.
                    Last edited by Rockman; June 10, 2011, 12:13 PM.

Comment

They Would Almost Certainly Have!

Originally posted by Rockman View Post
                      Alright sorry,sean Paul Shaggy...but the influence of Rasta on reggae is clear. My thing is we J'cans would have probably selected different..even though the lot is impressive.
                      Certainly there are reggae stalwarts who have worked long, hard and creatively and who deserve to have a Grammy on display in their living rooms! I’m referring here to reggae heroes like Beres Hammond, Third World, Toots Hibbert, and a female like Tanya Stephens.

Also, it’s a pity (no pun intended for Tanya Stephens) that the inclusion of a reggae category came too late for outstanding recording artists like rocksteady giant Delroy Wilson.

Does the Marley clan deserve to win so many Grammys? I sometimes wonder to myself (for example) if Ziggy’s name was Ziggy Smith or Ziggy Harris, would he have won so many awards?

Comment

Tanya Stephens is one of the top female song writers in reggae, and it is a pity she nuh get top ratings like your favorite artist Macka Diamond.

She dedicated her recent album to the fans for free. http://www.bymriddim.com/index-1.html
                        Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

In what category would you place Grace Jones?

Comment

She deserve a grammy fi de bumper alone.

Comment

The Marley clan does not deserve so many grammy awards. I consider a lot of their stuff ordinary compared to works of Toots, Third World etc. Incidentally, I am not sure Beres's work deserve the award either. Groups like Culture, Steel Pulse, UB40 have produced better materials.

Comment

Working...
                              X