X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gwaan Rev. AL

Al Miller not romping with Spice, Kartel
    Mel Cooke, Star Writer
    [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]Pastor[/COLOR][/COLOR] Merrick 'Al' Miller. - File photos
    At Sunday morning's Reggae Month thanksgiving service, held at the Fellowship Tabernacle, Rev Al Miller complimented and criticised Vybz Kartel and Spice.
    The comments to a [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]full [COLOR=blue ! important]house[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] at the St Andrew church were about the pair's extremely popular Rampin' Shop.
    "You take a brilliant lyrical mind like Kartel. He must fully use that mind to improve the reggae product to the world. Spice, a woman beautiful like a Spice, should be presenting the royal aspect of her womanhood to the world," he said.
    In an extensive sermon where he addressed reggae "to the world", Miller said: "we must ask what it is we want to take to the world", and asked if we wanted to give the world trash and poison.
    "That kin' a reggae dead. We want to give to the world that which adds value to the world," Miller said, going on to question whether we wanted to give the world 'daggering', 'back it up' and 'rampin' shop'.
    Music of hope
    He said reggae must provide the world with hope, unity and love, among other things. "What are the unmet needs of a 21st Century world? Reggae must provide it," Miller said.
    He said the island must sing a [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]new [COLOR=blue ! important]song[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR], pointing out that Jamaican music is still spiritual, as "at the heart they still hail him, appeal to him and call the name of Jah! That is the name of Jah. Christians, if that is shocking - Jah!"
    Miller pointed out the power of music, telling those responsible for making and spreading it "you have a [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]powerful [COLOR=blue ! important]tool[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] in your hands and you don't give children razor blade to play with."
    "So I ask, have you been responsible with your music?" Miller asked, advising that "music in your hands must become a sacred trust."
    He pointed to the influence of nighttime sessions in some communities, asking what kind of music the children were being given to think about as they went to [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]bed[/COLOR][/COLOR]. "They don't go to shop any more on the plaza, they go to 'rampin' shop'," Miller said.
    Miller said "singers have more influence than me. That's why me do Culture Clash, although the church vex." And if he has his way, he will be doing many more events. Miller told Supreme Promotions' Isaiah Laing "every session whe bus, me want a five minute in it," to cheers from the congregation.

Deejay Spice straddles Vybz Kartel in this promotional picture for 'Rampin' Shop'.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

and to think that Rompin' Shop is hardly the slackest chune out dere!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
    X