• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smith arrested..OLINT

Smith arrested
    Olint boss arrested in Turks and Çaicos

Friday, February 06, 2009
    David Smith, the embattled principal of alternative investment club Olint, was yesterday arrested by police in the Turks and Çaicos Islands and charged with fraud, the authorities there have reported.
    The arrest, the authorities said, was made after 2:00 pm and Smith was granted US$1 million bail. However, the Observer was unable to ascertain the details of the charges.
    Yesterday's action comes just over three weeks after the Turks and Çaicos Islands High Court refused to lift a freeze order on Smith's assets. However, the court said that the application could be renewed at any time after March 11. The court also ordered that details of the judgement should not be released to the media.
    SMITH. granted bail
    Smith's assets in the Turks and Çaicos - where Olint is now based after moving from Jamaica in the face of mounting pressure - were frozen in July 2008 by way of a court order as part of an investigation by the police there into allegations of financial crimes.
    At the time, Turks and Caicos Islands Deputy Commissioner of Police Hubert Hughes said officers from the Turks and Caicos' Financial Investigation Unit seized evidence from Smith's house after obtaining court permission in order to probe allegations of financial crimes.
    Asked what had triggered the police action, DCP Hughes said: "That was as a result of information received by my Financial Investigation Unit and as a result a warrant was applied for and executed on his premises."
    DCP Hughes had said that after the evidence was thoroughly and properly reviewed a formal interview would be conducted with Smith.
    He also said that Smith had not been arrested, was free to travel and was under no restriction to operate his companies in the Turks and Caicos Islands.
    Last November, and again last month, arguments were made for the freeing up of the assets.
    In a release following Justice Richard Williams' decision last month, Smith said he would be consulting with his legal team on the matter.
    "I am now consulting with my legal team on all aspects of the case, and will communicate with you again after these consultations have been concluded," he said.
    Smith wanted his assets released to make good on a promise made last July to make payments owed to investors, the majority of whom are among Jamaica's more affluent citizens who were attracted by Olint's 10 per cent per month return on investments.
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Well, I guess thats the final nail in the casket for the Alternative Investment Schemes in JA.

I doubt there will be much money left for any of the investors by the time this is all over.
    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

you think it done?

Just wait a few more months and see if somebody else nuh start a little thing.

There were so many of them it is so surprising.
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Working...
      X