• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leon - In Love With Jamaica

Leon's J'can love affair

By Richard Johnson
    Sunday, February 01, 2009

There is a technical hiccup and so we are running late for our interview with actor and singer Leon.

Leon is currently developing a film with Jamaican actor Paul Campbell. (Photo: Jermaine Barnaby)
    We call ahead and there is a 'no-problem' response. We arrive at the hotel and the tall, lanky figure arrives in the lobby. We greet and again apologise for the lateness and he calmly responds, "nuh worry, we cool," in a thick almost authentic Jamaican tongue that shows he is either a good actor or he simply loves feeling Jamaican.

Leon is instantly recognised on local streets for his role in the blockbuster, Cool Runnings, a take on the story of the Jamaican bobsled team, however, his love affair with Jamaica started years before. But where did this all start for a man born and raised in New York with no Jamaican family connection?

He credits Reggae icon Bob Marley for his first introduction to both the island and the music. It is said a special cord was struck when her first heard the tracks from Marley's Natty Dread album streaming through a neighbour's window. The beat and rhythm called out to the young Leon making him want more of this music, leading him to discover some of the greats of the music including Desmond Dekker, Jimmy Cliff and, of course, more Marley.

First time in Jamaica
    The pull was so strong that in 1985, fresh out of college and with the first money he made from acting, Leon, whose full name is Leon Preston Robinson, bought a ticket and headed to Jamaica.

"It was the most wonderful experience - paradise," he explains looking towards the heavens with eyes searching for that adjective. "I stayed just outside Ochie (Ocho Rios) and met some great people, (one of those friends, Rudolph Adams aka Maugy, is with him at the interview) all the fresh food I ever wanted was right there. Maugy, who is my chef whenever I am in Jamaica, would catch fresh fish everyday and then there is the ackee and saltfish." Leon discloses, with a huge burst of laughter, that he loves the national dish so much that one of his local nicknames is ackee and saltfish.

Leon chills with his Jamaican friend of 24 years Rudolph 'Maugy' Adams. (Photo: Jermaine Barnaby)
    However, like the initial drawing card, the music - Jamaican music was to prove all that Leon had imagined, musically. "There was music everywhere and the people had a rhythm that I was even more drawn to. Have you ever watched the youths on the streets, the way they talk, argue, their gestures, everything is musical. The passion which Jamaicans discuss their music, who is the baddest deejay.it's like none other and I just enjoy being part of that vibe."

This close association with the music set off another need in Leon to sing his own brand of music.

"I was being offered record deals, but really wanted to do music I was comfortable with. When I am acting on stage of screen I am playing a character, with the music I have to be authentic and true to me," he states emphatically.

This determination to do his own thing led to his association with a band, Young Lions, back in 2000. We were primarily doing cover versions in reggae, but wanted to write and perform our own stuff. Never one to be content doing something in which he has no interest, Leon then formed his own band Leon and the Peoples in 2002.

Touring with Beres
    He was at a Beres Hammond show and while backstage Leon took the opportunity to sing one of the band's original tracks for the legendary Hammond who instantly loved the track. This impromptu performance led to an opening gig on Hammond's 36-city For the Love of It Tour in 2007 which also featured Marcia Griffiths.

"This was great for me and the band. When you get a stamp of approval from a man like Mr Hammond, it is an overwhelming feeling. In preparing we really rehearsed and for the first show Beres came out to watch and by the second show, he told us how proud he was.that was really something."

Leon and the peoples has released their debut album, The Road Less Travelled, which he describes as reggae soul, complete with tracks which he says speaks to the positive elements in our society.

However, the actor in Leon is still alive and well, despite his obvious love for the music. Of local interest, there is a film currently in development with local actor, Paul Campbell. He is not at liberty to speak on this project, but hints that it is based on a script written by Campbell.

The Sunday Observer ends the interview by asking Leon who is he currently listening to. He lists Tarrus Riley and Etana, both of whom he credits for their positive vibrations, but admits to being a lover of reggae bands and so he gives the nod to Morgan Heritage. A few days after this interview, we received an email from Leon stating that he had forgotten Tanya Stephens from his favourites list, stating that she is a truly outstanding song writer and performer.
Working...
X