Public Accountability Inspectorate to Become Operational Apr

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Public Accountability Inspectorate to Become Operational Apr

The proposed Public Accountability Inspectorate (PAI), is expected to become fully operational no later than April 1, Finance and Public Service Minister, Audley Shaw, has announced.
    The Minister, who was speaking at a loan signing between the Government and the World Bank at the Ministry on January 23, said that the "finishing touches" for the functioning of the agency are being applied, and staff recruitment will be undertaken over the next few weeks.
    Staff will comprise personnel from the Ministry, and where there may be need for external recruitments, such openings will be advertised, he informed.
    According to Minister Shaw, the PAI will be charged with the responsibility of reviewing critical reports tabled in Parliament. These, he advised, include the reports of the Auditor General; Public Accounts Committee (PAC); Public Administration and Appropriations Committee; Audit Commission; Internal Audit; and Contractor General.
    "As the Minister that has the constitutional duty to protect the (country's) revenue, in putting in the PAI, it will become my eyes and my ears, to ensure that all of the infractions that are identified by all of these various reports and institutions that we have, that. these recommendations are being followed up. And, beyond that, if there are other issues that arise from time to time, then, from my directive or from the directive of the Financial Secretary, we'll ensure that, that accountability and transparency is there," the Minister asserted.
    He warned that every agency and Ministry of Government will be subject to the PAI's scrutiny, as the Government attempts to weed out corruption.
    "The PAI is on its way to every Ministry and every agency, as the eyes and ears of the Minister of Finance. And I want to send the signal that we are serious, where we find corruption, we are calling the police. Where we find corruption, we are calling the Revenue Protection Division (which) I have re-established. where we find it, we (will) call the Financial Investigations Division (FID)," the Minister warned.

http://www.jis.gov.jm/finance_planni...AL_APRIL_1.asp
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

So wait them can lock up government ministers and Civil servants?

If them nuh have that power then no bother wid it, it is a waste of time.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Working...
    X