A Young Woman to be Respected!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Young Woman to be Respected!

Like fellow Jamaican recording artist Etana, young Cherine Anderson has class, intelligence, humility, and is a worthy role model for other young women.

Cherine represents for JABY Kiwayne Jacobs Observer TEENage writer UWI
    Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Fresh from performing at three inaugural balls last Tuesday night, TEENage gives you Cherine Anderson.

And as she posted on her Myspace page: "We just completed the Inaugural Green Ball (one of the biggest balls in town tonight) in celebration of the new leader of the free world, President Barack Obama. It was fun meeting and talking to some of the stars I've grown up watching on TV: politicans, scholars and activists from all walks of the American society. I got to walk the 'Green' carpet and to share the stage with Maroon 5, Michael Franti & Spearhead, John Legend, Melissa Etheridge and Will.I.Am to name a few. Its interesting how many nations were represented in that one room, but no one took out their flag, well no one, but CHERINE. Jamaica to the world!!!"
    Cherine and John Legend
    Talk if you talking, she has spoken and the world is listening. The sultry, petite songbird Cherine Anderson has, after a decade in the music business, worked harder than ever.

Soaring to higher heights of success, the East Kingston beauty concedes that the work is only beginning.

"My career has been a work in progress, 10 years and the work is still continuing. Touring doesn't look like it is gonna stop anytime soon. I'm seeing dates as far as October and November of 2009."
    Cherine represents with flag in hand. Jamaica to the world!
    Guidance, humility and an astounding team of mentors around her, Cherine continues to shine on her way to ultimate superstardom.

"Sly Dunbar is a musician that has taught me so much. I'm really blessed to have the kinda team that I have around me.

Always looking to better her crafts, Cherine discloses that support continues to motivate her to reach for excellence at all times.
    Cherine and the It's A New Day man, Will.I.Am from the group Black Eye Peas.
    "ZLink Entertainment, spearheaded by Patrick Lindsay, challenges me and pushes me as a songwriter, artiste and person and the support of my sister Natoya has also been a strong source of motivation for me."

Busier than ever, Cherine has been on a world wind tour in Europe and Australia. She is still learning just how much of a source of inspiration music can be.

"The tour response has been overwhelming especially in Australia. Walking into a venue with 10,000 people per night and hearing the response shows me that there is power within the music.

Cherine has not forgot her local fans and relates that:

"Talk If You Talking and Shine are the two singles being heavily promoted in Jamaica right now."

When quizzed about the reviews of these songs, Cherine says: "There are a lot of mixed reviews especially for Talk If You Talking, however, people relate to songs with strong positive messages."

Life on the road is not all it's cracked up to be and Cherine explains that it's work, work and more work all the time.

"No luxuries of five-star hotels, just from the bus to the stage and then it's on to the next city. The day starts at 10:00 am all the way to 2:00 am the next morning."

The lone woman on the tour, Cherine understands her colleagues and enjoys the relationship that they have.

"Michael Franty and his band are just great (smile). They are like older brothers to me.

Even tours have their ups and downs and this was no different. Like the dedicated person she is, Cherine remains true to her fans.

"I got really sick in Europe, but I had to do the show cause I was billed for it."

Many people know her as an actress and artiste, but who is Cherine onstage?

"I can be me. Totally Jamaican, sexy, sultry and people love it. I am able to understand my audience abroad and change my set at times."

There is a different flavour and feel of Cherine abroad. Nonetheless, she is on fire and the world is her stage to blaze.

"The songs that are big in Jamaica are not the songs that are big abroad. You wouldn't think people would know it but they do. 'You come off the set and you didn't do my song', a fan would say."

In an industry plagued with negativity, the songbird is hard at work trying to shed some positive light on the darkness.

"I'm trying to paint a more positive picture, cause everything bad that comes out is multiplied ten times over. It's not about the money you make, but it's about the legacy you have."

2008 was a great year for Cherine and she minces no words when she says:

"It is more fun this year, always though I've been a crooner, but 'yes I can' and so I'm going into dancehall to show a different side of Cherine. Don't want nuh 'preachy, preachy' album."

Cherine's Kingston State Of Mind album is due for early 2009 and as you can see this lovely lady is on the go.

And to think is Rockfort she come fram! Do yuh ting, Cherine!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
    X