Jamaica vs. Trini Cultural Expression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
    yeah I can clearly remember from Annotto Bay to Buff Bay and in Port Antonio you had Jankoonoos walking on the street and music playing everybody would run to the roadside and join in as they heard the Jankoonoo music passing. I personally was "fraid" a them so I would go close but not too close. Those things were sooner forgotten at Christmas time, what a shame. With that went the Quadrile and Maypole dances too.
    Sass - mi was afraid of them too, but mi little sis would follow them to the end of the world.

The quadrille and maypole did not disappear though, and in Portland there are still groups practicising this art form. There are other groups throughout the island also.

In Portland, itself a number of schools participate in the Jamaica Cultural Development Commission (JCDC) cultural competitions & some schools maintain their maypole and quadrille groups.

Buff Bay primary school under the leadership of Edna Barrett (now deceased) had a quadrille and maypole group that was always consistent; I'm sure that rich tradition still continues.

Not to forget Manchioneal - the art form of Bruckins is still alive and doing well. St. Thomas has its Kumina; St. Mary - Dinkie Minie; Hanover - Ghere (sp).

With Emancipation day now being celebrated - all these folklore come to life in August.
    Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
    - Langston Hughes

Comment

Originally posted by Lionpaw View Post
      yes, but no way in hell can a man stand up and do no belly dance or nuh rhatid whine up and dem ********************man dance deh by himself inna di dance. and the bleaching thing is of the past now. unnuh 2 years behind. bleachers done get bun outta the dance floor. catch up mon.
      Catch up? Stop you joking. You mean bleachers have now been accepted on the dance floor because half of the crowd and the entertainers are bleaching.

rumpist them run dancehall now. Even half of them yute deh that a sweep, dem a add rumpist movements to it.

Comment

and your basing your assessments on what? me a yute whey go almost every damn dance. mi can tell u dat the bleaching ting out. mi see man a ghetto affi go back a dem yard when dem come out bleach out inna tight pants. people see dem and bun out dem raas. whamp'n to u don? bout half of entertainer's bleaching. lol riiight. mon, dont comment pon something u faaar away from. bout mon a nuh linga pon mon. *kissteeth* a mussy pon your road whey u use to live a jamaica dem a do dat.

Comment

Rumpist movements - is there a youTube for that?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Basing my assessment on what mi see at passa passa, bembe and weddy weddy. Not to mention mi know numerous people who go dance all bout. Suh you can gwaan make your pride blind you. As for bleaching, elephant do it, your empire artist do it, him subordinate do it and a rhyno claim seh nutten nuh wrong with it.

Tight pants sweepers still all over dancehall.

Comment

Originally posted by Lionpaw View Post
              Lazie, nuh matter what u say, Daggering is the hottes thing in JA right now, whether u like it or not. It might be nothing compared to Soca, IN YOUR OPINION but u cant go round it. JA people nuh want nuttin wid Soca a jus daggerin a dweet. We nuh believe in man a whine by demself like Soca. Daggerin inolves MAN and WOMAN. Nuh man cant go pon no stage a ghetto a whine up whine up by himself like machel. str8 bullet him wi get.
              Mi never see 2 man a dance soca/calypso yet. The latest craze in dancehall a pure men a dance wid dem one another. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVLdR...eature=related

Stop hating on soca/calypso music. If you don't like itm fine but stop give the impression its a gay thing.
              "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Originally posted by Me View Post
                Soca have more man and woman dancing together than dancehall right now.

Right now Dancehall have the most funny man involved in its history. Half of the dancer bleach out face and funny. And half of them always pushing out woman out of the video light to dance with each other. Man a stookie and do funny man version of nuh linga with each other. rumpist them a run dancehall now.
                Thank yuh sah!
                "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Tight pants sweepers - what's dat? A suh mi ole?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                    Poor Lazie.

Lazie, quick question - yuh can tell di difference between dancehall and reggae?
                    How we move from soca/ calypso to dancehall/reggae now Mosiah? Too many round here nuh know and keep quiet. If mi nuh know .. mi ago ask. Is Allison Hinds a soca or a calyso artiste?

Comment

Well I am not sure its the speeding up but really the move away from reggae musical complexity to a more soca like simple up-tempo repetitive garbage.. Not sure its daggering music... The fact is we risk loosing the creativity of rhythm building and melodious sound.

Comment

Oh, so I guess yuh nuh know. No shame in dat, Lazie.

Topics move from one ting to anedda all di time on dis forum. All dat yuh know tuh!?

Come to think of it, when did the topic become a comparison of musical genres?!?

Anyway, Ms. Hinds is a soca artiste FYI.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Yes Ms. Barrett use to have the Buff Bay primary in tune. One of the best Quadrile and maypole dancer use to be Kingsley Chin the footballer. Nuff a the dancer them use to be mi good friend back in the days. I remember them playing in a lot of North Coast hotel and even travelling to Cuba.

It is only practise mainly for festival purpose now, not really for the general public(that is why I talk about the death of it). Manchanioneal was very good at the bruckins fi real. My thing is, it is no longer done in the public square, not in our tourist hotels and only on a small scale.
                          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

It's more than the speed. I'll post on it later.

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                              Oh, so I guess yuh nuh know. No shame in dat, Lazie.

Topics move from one ting to anedda all di time on dis forum. All dat yuh know tuh!?

Come to think of it, when did the topic become a comparison of musical genres?!?

Anyway, Ms. Hinds is a soca artiste FYI.
                              Okay .. I went out and did some digging. I see / hear the difference now!

Comment

Originally posted by Exile View Post
                                It's more than the speed. I'll post on it later.
                                Its all good Exile, I found it.

Comment

Working...
                                X