• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Godfather Number 1 'Beenie Man' in town for Soca

'Beenie Man' in town for Soca

...Records with Bunji, Fay-Ann and Trini Jacobs

Nigel Telesford

Sunday, January 18th 2009

Godfather Number 1: Jamaican Dancehall Star, "Beenie Man" puts his hand on Fay- Ann's belly as she announced that he would be the baby's "Godfather Number 1" and they posed with Lyon's husband, reigning Soca Monarch, Bunji Garlin, right, and West Indies allrounder Dwayne Bravo at DV8 Studio, St James.Photos: JERMAINE CRUICKSHANKDavis, who flew to Trinidad to complete several Soca recordings, said: "Trinidad ah me place and Soca time ah come up, so me feel is better we come here and do proper music, than me really just stay ah Jamaica and somebody send up something give we fe do. Better me come here and do it meself."
    Davis recorded four songs in four days: the collaboration with Fay-Ann, which remains untitled and is voiced on the Braxton-produced La Douma Riddum; a remix of Garlin's infectious, "Plenty Gyal", another collaboration with Trini Jacobs and a solo track. The La Douma Riddim is due to be released early next week and also features songs by Jamaican sensation Pamputtae, 3Suns, Benjai featuring Scarface, JW and Blaze and Bunji Garlin.
    The Jamaican entertainer said he is currently working on a new album, a new movie called Kingston and is booked to perform at various shows around the globe over the next few months.
    Asked about the effects of the economic crisis on his country and his career, Davis said:

"Life no good in ah de world right now. Until Obama come in and say well alright, how we gwan fix this thing and make people live good again. Ah recession we ah deal wit right now, but we na go make it reach depression cause if it reach depression, de whole ah de Caribbean ah get f- - - -ed! Cause right now dey have people who ah live without heat eh know... in ah Russia and Poland and dem place dey... whey ah de coldest places in de world. We supposed to feel happy we in ah de Caribbean and we na face de ting so wicked so yet

Mi see the numba 1 female dj pamputte ah do soca macka ah do soca ah wha dis fadda

Comment

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.
      Peter R

Comment

Who is Davis?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

nutten else. still a primitive art form.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
            nutten else. still a primitive art form.
            that why Jamaican in the hundreds of thousands take part in the celebration.... And thats why carnival in 10 year would the the premier festival in yard

Comment

LOL!!!!

when soca get a grammy spot.......we can talk as equals, 'til then the next best thing is for you to run off yuh mout'...

btw beenie do everything else arready...gospel, hip hop...probably reggaeton too...so soca is the last frontier....ef yuh can even call it dat!

btw a constant diet of dirt, will lead to vitamin deficiency and result in a propensity fi chat fart!!!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

we already have a grammy spot

Comment

"world music"?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Dr. Gamma, how are you doin'?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Naminirt View Post
                      that why Jamaican in the hundreds of thousands take part in the celebration.... And thats why carnival in 10 year would the the premier festival in yard
                      Naminirt, this question I’m asking now is one that I’ve been wanting to ask for a while. It is with reference to Tempo music channel.

I know that when it was launched back in the fall of 2005, Tempo was owned by Viacom, and was a subsidiary of MTV (which is why it was originally called “MTV Tempo”). I’m also aware that the founder of Tempo, Frederick Morton, Jr., was a senior legal adviser with MTV in New York. Tempo was apparently sold to a group of private investors in late 2007.

My question is this: Are the new co-owners of Tempo Trinidadians? I know that Frederick Morton is from St Croix in the US Virgin Islands, but are the other investors in Tempo Trini businessmen?

I ask this question simply because Tempo has, in the past two years or so, become highly influenced by Trinidadian soca, whereas the opposite was the case when Tempo was first launched (in the early years, Tempo featured predominantly Jamaican music and American rap and R&B).

Comment

Historian i cannot say .... don't know

Comment

Soca music has finally been given its own category in the Grammy Awards. This was announced on Friday at a gala cocktail reception for the International Soca Awards at the Trinidad and Tobago Consulate in New York. By Wayne Bowman

Sonata Smith, a member of the Grammy Awards Voting Committee, said that beginning with the 2006 Grammy Awards, there will be an award for Best Soca Recording. She said the final arrangements came through too late for this to happen in 2005, but gave the assurance that everything has been put in place for voting to begin next year to select the songs that would be nominated for the first Grammy for soca music.

"Yes everyone, it is true. Soca now has its very own category at the Grammys. I now wish to encourage all who are involved in the recording industry to become voting members of the Grammys. This is it folks. We are on our way, but you all have to get involved by becoming members and voting. The next step is to get soca music playing on every radio station across the United States and the world," Smith said.

Smith is from Aruba and has been a fan of soca and other Caribbean music forms all her life. In 1999 she began an internship at the Grammys and began trying to convince the organisation to establish a category for soca. She travelled to Los Angeles to make a presentation to the executive committee. Smith said they were impressed with the research she had gathered and, after taking a vote, it was decided that the time had come for soca music to be officially recognised by the Grammys.

"I had to do a lot of research, which included going to the various islands collecting data and music. They had to know that the music was creating some sort of impact, at least within the Caribbean community. They did not know about the music and there was really nothing about it out there to make them sit up and take notice on their own. The song that I used as a sample was "Trini To The Bone" by David Rudder and Carl Jacobs, so you can see that Trinidad was given the recognition as the birthplace of the genre. I want everyone to get online and find out how to become a voting member of the Grammys. It is easy. All the information and how to access the forms are right there," Smith said.

The International Soca Awards, meanwhile, will be held today.

Comment

post the link....

Comment

Originally posted by Naminirt View Post
                              Soca music has finally been given its own category in the Grammy Awards.

"Yes everyone, it is true. Soca now has its very own category at the Grammys. I now wish to encourage all who are involved in the recording industry to become voting members of the Grammys. This is it folks. We are on our way, but you all have to get involved by becoming members and voting. The next step is to get soca music playing on every radio station across the United States and the world," Smith said.
                              Soca having its Grammy Award category is certainly news to me!!

In the case of reggae, we almost lost that category a few years ago, and if Roger Steffens hadn’t stepped in with his strong warning, our laid-back producers and other relevant parties might have resulted in us talking today about “the days when we used to have a reggae category”!

However, I won’t be fully satisfied until I see us reach the stage where the Reggae awards are handed out on the stage of the Grammy Awards ceremony, instead of elsewhere before the start of the live ceremony. Until we reach that level of recognition, the world will continue to be unaware that there is actually a Reggae category at the annual Grammys.

Comment

Working...
                              X