X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why not add Ska festival or have a Ska festival

All systems go for JAMAICA Jazz & Blues Festival

Friday, January 23, 2009

FACILITIES for media and patrons began to take form, the brilliantly blue Caribbean Sea bounding The Aqueduct glistened even more in the afternoon sun. The venue, located along the Elegant Corridor in Rose Hall, was abuzz with activity yesterday, as workmen, sponsors, and festival organisers went into overdrive to ensure that everything is in order for the staging of the Caribbean's premier music festival... the JAMAICA Jazz and Blues Festival.
    LIONEL RICHIE
    Early yesterday, sound checks began to emanate from 30-foot high speaker boxes, a sign that all systems are go, and the 13th jazz festival would, yet again, rock Montego Bay, and Jamaica.
    "We're putting on the finishing touches to ensure that our Jazzmaniacs have the time of their lives," TurnKey boss Walter Elmore said.
    Elmore, executive producer of the festival, said that this year's staging will truly be an "experience".
    The JAMAICA Jazz and Blues Festival, a staple on entertainment calendars around the world, is a first-class event, and embodies the term 'Art of Music', something TurnKey Productions seems to have perfected.
    Some concern was expressed earlier about the state of the venue, having been thoroughly soaked by rains during December. But Elmore is assuring patrons that they have nothing to worry about.
    "We built this venue when we moved from Cinnamon Hill. We know it inside out, and we've put the TurnKey touch on it. It's ready for the festival, and we are going to have a great time."
    TurnKey Productions - who also produces the Cayman Jazz Festival, the Turks and Caicos Jazz Festival, and the St Kitts Jazz Festival, as well as the Reggae Sumfest - says that despite negative reviews about the sponsorship of the renowned event by the Jamaica Tourist Board, the festival remains an important economic and tourism boost.
    "No one can take that away from us. This festival fills hotel rooms, brings in revenue for the country from things like departure tax and general consumption tax, we create employment for communities, we create business for restaurants and taxi cabs. The JAMAICA Jazz and Blues Festival is something that is of value to the country, and no one can deny that," Elmore said.
    With several hotels, especially those located on the Elegant Corridor boasting 90 per cent or more occupancy rates, the access to the JTB's marketing machinery seems to have paid off.
    "We had access to the JTB's marketing arm and contacts, and this worked well for us. We targeted South Florida in January as history has shown us it is a late booking market for Jamaica. We know how easy it is for Floridians to hop on an Air Jamaica flight and be in MoBay in about an hour. So for them to plan a last-minute getaway to Jamaica is easy and is something that the market has been programmed to do."
    That marketing blitz in South Florida included almost 140 TV ads, which ran on CBS affiliates WFOR and WBFS-TV in South Florida, along with an aggressive online promotion to run concurrently on the stations' websites. The ads, which were aired up to yesterday, ran on the Oprah TV show and the Tyra Banks show.
    "With artistes such as Lionel Richie, Robin Thicke, The OJays, and female powerhouses like Estelle, Nikki Yanofsky, and Randy Crawford ready to take the Jazz stage by storm, Jazzmaniacs can expect a great show starting tomorrow (yesterday), and taking them right into Saturday night," Elmore said.
    The JAMAICA Jazz and Blues Festival 2009 has a lot to offer fans and guarantees value for money. Tickets are available at the Acropolis Gaming & Entertainment Centre, Coral Cliff Entertainment Limited, El Paso Records, Fairview Texaco, Fontana Pharmacy, Paymaster Outlets, Rorys Texaco, Villagio Gaming & Entertainment Centre and also online at www.jamaicajazzandblues.com.

Talk Back No comments have been postedPost your comments
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Is it less than Jazz or blues ? to me its the missing link to reggae.How we kill our prophets , such a genre is allowed to die go unnoticed , unsung, not hailed in the land of its birth.

You have Ska festivals all over the world except Jamaica. How it would influence our musicians to produce quality music, I defenitely expect an influence on dancehall and reggae, like a 2nd coming if it ever happened.
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Very good point. Would you believe I am on my back porch listening to the Skatalites right now? This is a genre of Jamaican music that is often overlooked except for the ocasional mention of Millie Small and 'My Boy Lollipop'. There are so many other outlets and others profiting from this music. So many movie soundtracks....I have some Cuban music with serious ska influences...
      OK...here's an opportunity for the buisness savvy folks.

Comment

agree wid yuh...yuh know how many fariners would attend a ska festival in jamaica?!!!

my yute that is a BRILLIANT concept!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

So ova to you gamma - we'll have a Ska Festival in the Virgin Isles - on board a certain yacht - ongle forumites on their best behaviour may attend
          Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
          - Langston Hughes

Comment

heheheheh...jus' mek sure seh ef lion paw drap asleep unnuh wake him..."for when the lion is sleeping, neva you try to wake him"

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Hence the song - Lala kahle [Sleep well]

In the jungle, the mighty jungle
              The lion sleeps tonight
              In the jungle, the mighty jungle
              The lion sleeps tonight

(Chorus)
              Imbube

Ingonyama ifile [The lion's in peace]
              Ingonyama ilele [The lion sleeps]
              Thula [Hush]

Near the village, the peaceful village
              The lion sleeps tonight
              The lion sleeps tonight

(Chorus)

Ingonyama ilele [The lion sleeps]

Hush, my darling, don't fear, my darling
              The lion sleeps tonight
              Hush, my darling, don't fear, my darling
              The lion sleeps tonight

He, ha helelemama
              [He, ha helelemama]
              Ohi'mbube [lion]

(Chorus)

Ixesha lifikile [Time has come]
              Lala [Sleep]
              Lala kahle [Sleep well]

The lion sleeps tonight
              The lion sleeps tonight

(Chorus)

My little darling
              Don't fear, my little darling
              My little darling
              Don't fear, my little darling

Ingonyama ilele

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

my quote is from a ska chune....fi figget di name now

Comment

was wondering, cause I don't know it.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Nuff Skinhead would come too.
                    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

That's the problem. From personal experience the younger generation who follow ska now don't got no $$$$$$$

Comment

i don't agree. you check it out. yuh getting OLD!!!! my first trip to germany in '91 the biggest fans at that time were in the 25-35 age group.

anyway, is jamaica turning away spring breakers?

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
                          i don't agree. you check it out. yuh getting OLD!!!! my first trip to germany in '91 the biggest fans at that time were in the 25-35 age group.

anyway, is jamaica turning away spring breakers?
                          Di one's I meet up wit aren't in college dem pretty much good fi nuttin

Comment

hmmmmmm what is the common factor here? btw ef you meeting up wid dem, i suspect that are good for something...FAMILY FORUM!

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
                              hmmmmmm what is the common factor here? btw ef you meeting up wid dem, i suspect that are good for something...FAMILY FORUM!
                              True story. I was bout 24 or so and me and mi bredrin driving down the road. We see this skinhead yute in black boots, roll up foot jeans suspenders and a black jacket so we pull up to him and ask him what that symbol on him jacket mean. He said it's not what we think that he's not the racist kinda skinhead him is a ska skinhead and don't support the racist ones. Talk bout his lucky day

Comment

Working...
                              X