Mosiah I know you will enjoy this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mosiah I know you will enjoy this

Heated arguments in the Senate over Judiciary reform Friday, 23 January 2009 Friday's sitting of the Senate was by no means quiet as heated banter accompanied efforts to pass a bill amending the Jurors Act.

A war of words swiftly sprang up between Senators Dorothy Lightbourne and A.J. Nicholsonwhen he asked about the Justice Reform Process and the completion of the Port Antonio Court House.

As Senator Lightbourne sought to give answers on the setting up of a committee to deal with Justice Reform Senator Nicholson made it clear he felt that his fellow senator was delving too much into the past rather than answering the questions.

"When you were on this side and you make a big presentationas to the setting up of this Justice Reform Task Force for the Justice System, I asked you one question, is there funding for this system?" said Senator Lightbourne.

"But all I am asking, not about funding, I am asking if when the committee will be established, that's all. If it's not ready yet, it's not ready yet," said Senator Nicholson.

"The committee will be established shortly but I do not wish to act in vain. When I set up that committee it will have work to do and there will be funding for it," said Senator Lightbourne.

But even with that response senator Nicholson pressed for more answers and insisted on hearing what has become of the plan to improve the Port Antonio court house.

This prompted another heated exchange.

"When the courthouse was finished there was to be a circuit court, a jail for prisoners to be kept. When we visited it we found that there were many defects. Senator Nicholson, if you wish, I can come back at a later date and give a full explanation and some of the costs that it is going to take to remedy to make that courthouse ready for the public...I was trying to save you the embarrassment ‘of bringing all that up'," said Senator Lightbourne.

"You cannot come here everyday like Lot's wife looking back on the 18 years...you are the government, deal with it," said Senator Nicholson.

Eventually tempers cooled and the senate was able to pass the bill which amends the age limit of a person serving as a juror from 65 to 70.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

I have no time for this cass cass in the people's parliament. They are both fools!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

talk 'bout bare faced!!! him can talk like that becuse there was no accountability.

"You cannot come here everyday like Lot's wife looking back on the 18 years...you are the government, deal with it," said Senator Nicholson.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

one is a HUMUNGOUS (sp) fool though

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

true!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
            "The committee will be established shortly....
            I wonder if HL is an advisor to the Senator?
            "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Working...
            X