No announcement yet.

Teacher Beaten For Waking Student

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kingston College (I think), but student/teacher altercation is happening so frequently and in so many schools, you just don't read/hear about it.
    Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
    - Langston Hughes

Comment

even sadder....any kind of altercation of that nature was UNHEARD of in my day...which was not so long ago i might add....

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
        even sadder....any kind of altercation of that nature was UNHEARD of in my day...which was not so long ago i might add....

Ah gamma - is a different society mi dear. I have so many relatives/friends who are in the teaching society, and the tales I hear.
        - Langston Hughes

Comment

In my days a French teacher slammed a kid hand in the door and he had to run to staff room and was held up for most of the evening.

We also had a big demonstration against the Port Antonio police as they were harrassing all the public transportation and most of us had no other way to go to school and one particular police had to run to the station go lock up himself. It wasn't so unheard of but atleast we were defending just cause and we had no ministry of education to go to, all we had was a good prinicpal who would act in good faith.
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

gamma - here's the article; don't know why the Star was so

evasive in releasing the school's name)

Chaos at KC- Students attack teacher - Police, education ministry called in

Published: Friday | January 23, 2009

Tyrone Reid, Staff Reporter

Kingston College students make their way home after school yesterday. - Norman Grindley/Acting Photography editor
            Two students of Kingston College (KC) were yesterday taken into police custody for their involvement in a violent incident that left one of their peers injured.

The latest incident followed another on Tuesday when classes at the school's North Street campus ended abruptly after several ninth-grade students attacked and beat a teacher.

After the fracas on Tuesday, sixth formers were assigned to man the classes while the teachers staged a meeting to strategise the way forward.

The teacher who was attacked did not report for duty on Wednesday.

Eye injury
            He told The Gleaner that he sustained an injury to his eye. He said the scuffle was between him and a student but then other students from the class joined in and started to attack him.

A sixth-former said that the mêlée was broken up by fifth-form students who stormed into the classroom and rescued the teacher.

The teacher was reluctant to provide more details as he said it was now a court matter.

Everton Burrell, KC's principal, was out of office during our visit yesterday and Juliet Wilson, a vice-principal at the institution, refused to comment.
            When The Gleaner visited the school's North Street campus, there was a loud roar as students rushed to a section of the schoolyard.

After the shouting and confusion subsided, our news team was told that at least two students had attacked another boy with knives. The boy, in defending himself reportedly struck one of his schoolmates in the head with his T-square. He had to receive medical attention.

On Wednesday, teachers, with the help of officials from the education ministry, school resource officers and guidance counsellors, conducted training and guidance sessions for the entire school day.

Margaret Muschette-Phillips, Jamaica Teachers' Association contact teacher at KC, said the boys were taught about ethics, how to deal with conflicts and the need to show respect to persons in authority.

Muschette-Phillips said the police warned the boys about the consequences of their actions and also briefed them about life behind bars.

She said teachers were not pleased with the student's misconduct.
            Former president of the Kingston College Old Boys' Association, Dr Winston Davidson, said such aggressive behaviour displayed by the students should not be tolerated.

"With behaviour like that, those boys can't continue in the school. They should be expelled forthwith," he said.
            Miranda Sutherland, president of the National Parent-Teachers Association of Jamaica, condemned fighting in school. Sutherland also said she believes that the violence in schools can be corrected, but not overnight. "It is not a situation that cannot be returned to normal but it will take time."
            - Langston Hughes

Comment

Originally posted by Lionpaw View Post
              mi nuh like when people wake me up neither.
              What yuh duh when dem wake you, roar or nyam them alive
              - Langston Hughes

Comment

Nope, this lion ya nuh nyam people. bun out!!

Comment

Originally posted by Lionpaw View Post
                  Nope, this lion ya nuh nyam people. bun out!!
                  ummm how yuh sound suh defensive?
                  "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
                    ummm how yuh sound suh defensive?
                    Sound like yuh taste sumpten, Lazie. Is what yuh eating?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                      Sound like yuh taste sumpten, Lazie. Is what yuh eating?
                      Lunch .... Wendy's Chili ...better yet ... Chili from Wendy's.
                      "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

snicker! in fact, guffaw!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

This is pathetic and that student should not only be expelled, but face criminal charges as well.
                          Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Corporal Punishment should still be in force in school. unfortunately, when they removed it, the discipline went down. Now it's too late to re-introduce it. The world has become too liberal with how to raise children. Science has proven that in order to modify human behaviour, some amount of pain (whether physical or emotional) is necessary. Children need some form of pain to modify their behaviour. Unfortunately, you have the physco adults who take administering pain to the extremes, and they are the ones who created these liberal views.

I remember lining up in primary school to get some caning from the principal, Mrs. Fraser, at Dunrobin Primary. Even though i was never caned at Calabar, the then principal, Roy Atkinson, used to walk/patrol around the school with the security guards and their big german shepard dogs. He kept his cane in his office. The fear of these principals kept us students in check. I remember my days at Calabar, if you wanted to clear out a room quick, all you had to do was shout out, "Ackee (short for Atkinson) a come!!!!"
                            Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

lazie a nyam wendy

Comment

Ras! Yuh went to the great Dunrobin Primary? Yuh all know Mrs. Fraser?!? But...den...how yuh gwaan like yuh nuh have nuh sense sometime?

Heh heh! Likkle joke!

"... walk/patrol around the school with the security guards and their big german shepard dogs." - are you for real? What kinda school was/is that?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                                X