• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bush did some good

Bush did some good

Published: Thursday | January 22, 2009

Bush

THE EDITOR, Sir:
    I was disappointed by the failure of those commenting in The Gleaner's 'Best and worst Bush memories' published on January 19 to acknowledge the significant and unprecedented role George W. Bush has played in elevating the political profile of blacks in United States political leadership and the significant role he has played in aiding the election of a minority to the highest office of the US.

George Bush's verbal howlers and his unpopular war in Iraq will probably always represent the principal memories of his presidency. However, throughout the history of the United States of America, it was only this 'incompetent' president who saw it fit to appoint, not once, but twice, African-Americans to the position of Secretary of State. The competence demonstrated by Colin Powell and Condoleezza Rice in the execution of their roles no doubt aided in the acceptance by the majority of Americans that blacks and other minorities such as Barack Obama might after all be capable of being effective chiefs of staff.

Strength of character
    George W. Bush showed foresight and strength of character in single-handedly increasing the profile of the Black woman in particular and Blacks in general during his two terms as president. My gut feeling is that without the successes of two exceptionally capable African-American secretaries of state it might just not have been the black Barack Obama's time to be elected president of the US.

George W. Bush is probably the only US president to have done so much to fight AIDS and poverty in Africa. As a result the rest of the world may despise him but Africa is one place in the world where he can always expect a warm welcome.

I am no fan of Bush and find it incredulous that I am writing in his defence. But his role in elevating the profile of Black Americans and conversely Blacks internationally is unquestionable.

"One of the things important about history is to remember the true history." - George W. Bush, Washington, DC, June 6, 2008. No one else could have said it better.

I am, etc.,
    OLIVER CAMPBELL
    olcam@msn.com
    London, England
    Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
    - Langston Hughes

.. yes, and those stimulus checks did some good as well. His comical dances did provide some good laughter.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

As I like to say, even Hitler did some good!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
        As I like to say, even Hitler did some good!
        Kinda extreme don't it?
        "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

true...i perhaps othrwise would not have know the great disrespect that throwing a shoe at someone is meant to convey.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Well if we didn't have 2 wars and two reccession there would be no need for stimilus checks.

Bush is a bafoon and one of the worst presidents ever. It is a good thing the congress never make him do some more good with our social security a few years ago.

His policies and lack of control are directly responsible for where we are now. Lowering tax and running up the deficits when we didn't need it and how many billions in Iraq? Remember if we did have that money we coulda do more for AIDS.
            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

you got the point though, right?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Well George is in a good place now, him nuh haffi worry bout people like Mo; likewise Mo can stop cuss him now.

Long live George W
                - Langston Hughes

Comment

I heard some Caribbean politician the other day saying that since the end of the Cold War and the lessening of importance of the region to them, none of the American administrations did much for the region.

I also read some where not so long ago that George W Bush did more in terms of direct aid to the Caribbean than Clinton did in two terms and the article went on to detail the benefits.

It just goes to show how personal perspectives and dislikes can shape opinions.
                  Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
                  Che Guevara.

Comment

Originally posted by Sickko View Post
                    I heard some Caribbean politician the other day saying that since the end of the Cold War and the lessening of importance of the region to them, none of the American administrations did much for the region.

I also read some where not so long ago that George W Bush did more in terms of direct aid to the Caribbean than Clinton did in two terms and the article went on to detail the benefits.

It just goes to show how personal perspectives and dislikes can shape opinions.
                    If you ever find the article, please post it, so Mo can read it.
                    - Langston Hughes

Comment

George can go to hell!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                        George can go to hell!
                        Actually, he went to Texas! Must be hotter than it is here in the North East.

Mi curious, were you blocked by George as you attempted to court one of his daughters?

Comment

Originally posted by MdmeX View Post
                          Bush did some good

Published: Thursday | January 22, 2009

Bush

THE EDITOR, Sir:
                          I was disappointed by the failure of those commenting in The Gleaner's 'Best and worst Bush memories' published on January 19 to acknowledge the significant and unprecedented role George W. Bush has played in elevating the political profile of blacks in United States political leadership and the significant role he has played in aiding the election of a minority to the highest office of the US.

George Bush's verbal howlers and his unpopular war in Iraq will probably always represent the principal memories of his presidency. However, throughout the history of the United States of America, it was only this 'incompetent' president who saw it fit to appoint, not once, but twice, African-Americans to the position of Secretary of State. The competence demonstrated by Colin Powell and Condoleezza Rice in the execution of their roles no doubt aided in the acceptance by the majority of Americans that blacks and other minorities such as Barack Obama might after all be capable of being effective chiefs of staff.

Strength of character
                          George W. Bush showed foresight and strength of character in single-handedly increasing the profile of the Black woman in particular and Blacks in general during his two terms as president. My gut feeling is that without the successes of two exceptionally capable African-American secretaries of state it might just not have been the black Barack Obama's time to be elected president of the US.

George W. Bush is probably the only US president to have done so much to fight AIDS and poverty in Africa. As a result the rest of the world may despise him but Africa is one place in the world where he can always expect a warm welcome.

I am no fan of Bush and find it incredulous that I am writing in his defence. But his role in elevating the profile of Black Americans and conversely Blacks internationally is unquestionable.

"One of the things important about history is to remember the true history." - George W. Bush, Washington, DC, June 6, 2008. No one else could have said it better.

I am, etc.,
                          OLIVER CAMPBELL
                          olcam@msn.com
                          London, England

What good are competent officials (even black skinned ones) when they execute corrupt and rotten policies?

Because of the glaring policy failures, Powell and Rice ended their tenures much diminished in standing, despite their skills.
                          TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Truth be told Clinton did nothing but smile.

I think he is right as during Clinton years the Chiquita with the backing of the US killed our banana.

I read where Warmington said in parliament this week that the US had no strategic interest in the caribbean so we can fool ourselves.

He is right if you ask me.
                            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Not sure I am ready to start quoting Warmington just yet but I am sure Clinton was acting in the best interest of those who voted for him and who probably funded his campaign as well as both Dole and Chiquita are US companies and Eastern Bananas never once cast a vote for him or even employed US workers.

I feel the same way about Obama as his priority the next four years must be the United States of America not the Caribbean and we can hope for some of the trickle down effect...but wait, this sounds like Reagonomics, dont it?
                              Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
                              Che Guevara.

Comment

Working...
                              X