• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gov't reports 14% increase in domestic food production

Gov't reports 14% increase in domestic food production
    Patrick Foster, Observer writer fosterp@jamaicaobserver.com
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Domestic food crop production increased 14.4 per cent for the last quarter of 2008 over the same period in 2007, according to the agriculture ministry which is also anticipating improved food production for the first three months of this year.

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/...PRODUCTION.asp
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Increase in farm produce is always great...it is usually allied with 'eating more of what we grow' - mmmm? Michael Manley??? - a decrease in importation of some farm produce and in some cases increases in exports....along with lowering of unemployment levels as this labour intensive enterprise grows...

...but what would Robert Lightbourne say about cutting out of that
    value-added component that local production of fertilizer has built in?

Could there have been a use of the US Federal Government's actions of telling the local producer to produce at price "X" and we'll buy? ...or was that attempted and the local producer just could not attain the necessary levels of efficiencies to produce the product at a price that would ahve found favour with his government?

Just wondering?
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Karl the local producers were Jacking up the price. More than 100% in one year. The government try to get them to lower the price. They were told that they were the highest in the region and have to do something but them neva listen so Bruce went to Venezula and got prices 50% lower that the local man and now the local man lower his prices as well.

The farmer can't suffer because of the producer.
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Working...
      X