Culture vs Vulture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Culture vs Vulture

Jamaican music is clearly one of the most powerful and influential popular cultural forces on earth.

In terms of pop music, Jamaican music, along with genres indigenous to the USA and Britain are the only forms that have true global appeal. Other forms are limited in appeal to this or that region.

This global cultural resource is truly something to be celebrated, nurtured and protected for the common good of Jamaicans and indeed all mankind.

Like other forms, Jamaican pop music has various subsets which most here are familiar with. Our music, the most authentic of it, springs mainly from one source... the poor and dispossessed among us.

So called "Culture" music (even before the term became popular in the 1980's) has traditionally emphasized themes of love, unity, African liberation and generally strident resistance to oppression at home and abroad (and a likkle weed of course).

These are themes that have resonated globally and are the main reasons for the Jamaican music's global influence... feeding an anti-establishmentarian ideal or counterculture, attractive to people interested in struggling against or seeking escape from real or perceived oppression.
    These are also themes that are useful in addressing and improving Jamaica's social relationships, the repair of which I believe is indispensable in nation building.

Over the past two decades there has emerged a new form of Jamaican pop music which has become dominant.
    Even within this dancehall format of course there are different strands... culture (powererd by Rastafari), a lite, international chart-friendly variety (Shaggy, Sean Paul etc) and a stridently self destructive (but 100% authentic) form typified by artists like Kartel, Mavado etc.
    This may be a somewhat simplistic analysis as there may be other strands and also artists that move easily between the different sub genres.

Unfortunately (to me) the sub genre that has the most influence in Jamaica .. is also the most self destructive. This is music that both reflects and reinforces personal and societal disintegration.
    Music whose main themes include: glorifying the gun culture, infama (and his family!) fi dead, acquisition of money at ANY cost, conspicuous consumption, gratuituous sex, degradation of women and a clownish self aggrandizement.

This Vulture music type has hundreds of thousands of young, impressionable Jamaicans in its thrall and a compliant media in attendance.

The fact that it generates huge amounts of cash may be seen as a positive.... but this is fool's gold.
    Culture can easily multiply whatever is earned by such self destructive garbage.... and promote positive values in the process.

With Jamaica one of the murder and corruption capitals of the world and mired in social friction and economic decay... such music and its associated value system is a huge and unaffordable negative for the country and its prospects.

To the extent that Jamaicans embrace a negative and self destructive value system... to that extent we are taken further away from the possibility of social and economic progress.

Those who claim both to be concerned about Jamaica's sorry condition of violence and poverty and also support such self destructive values are living in a fool's paradise.... and don't even know it.
    TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Nice terminology!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

despite my dislike for some of those tasteless music, we can't put it inna vacum.

What do we expect when dons are the main promoters of shows locally and drug dealers are involved overseas?

What do we expect when from a society that 8 year old kids are cursing big dirty badwords and adults laugh or say nothing?

What do we expect when we have so many fatherless children and others growing with grand mother or aunties?

The music is not the main problem but the microphone as we choose to give it to these loudmouth, filthy and dirty characters.

There are good music still been made but what about the djs who refuse to play them or have to get big payola in order to promote the garbage?

The fact is we are a society in trouble and the music is just a sign.

I remember when the government try banning the music, as a song was banned it was played on every sound system and went number 1.

The least the producers could do is do like it is done in the US. Is to have a clean edited version of the song and give people the choice not listening to the garbage.

Personally I don't believe anything will change until we start to educate and take care of our children and teach young entertainer about the business of music so they don't think the only way to make it is to shout the loudest or bun the most weed.
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
        The least the producers could do is do like it is done in the US. Is to have a clean edited version of the song and give people the choice not listening to the garbage.

They already do that.

Comment

so why all the bleeping on the radio?

You remember little Lenny had two version of his song?

"she has gun inna baggy" and "healthy body"

Sean Paul had song recently that he did about loving the Herb and his label forced him to change it into a "Girl tune" so you had two versions.

Not many of the singers do that.
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

They could do a much better job of editing tunes, and not create a digitally edited version, but have the DJ do a clean version. There is a wicked Bounty tune that I recently edited due to the F word and a completely clean version would have been preferred.
            Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Called violent tunes "vulture" is interesting, whey dat come from?
              Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

despite my dislike for some of those tasteless music, we can't put it inna vacum.

What do we expect when dons are the main promoters of shows locally and drug dealers are involved overseas?

What do we expect when from a society that 8 year old kids are cursing big dirty badwords and adults laugh or say nothing?

What do we expect when we have so many fatherless children and others growing with grand mother or aunties?

The music is not the main problem but the microphone as we choose to give it to these loudmouth, filthy and dirty characters.

There are good music still been made but what about the djs who refuse to play them or have to get big payola in order to promote the garbage?

The fact is we are a society in trouble and the music is just a sign.

I remember when the government try banning the music, as a song was banned it was played on every sound system and went number 1.

Personally I don't believe anything will change until we start to educate and take care of our children and teach young entertainer about the business of music so they don't think the only way to make it is to shout the loudest or bun the most weed.

I don't believe I put the Vulture music in a vacuum.. I put it in context of other music types... and in a wider societal context.

I guess you disagree.

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

Comment

Originally posted by Hortical View Post
                  Called violent tunes "vulture" is interesting, whey dat come from?

It's just a take on culture.

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                    Nice terminology!

respek boss

Comment

No I don't disagree but until we have other changes in our society, it is sad but will only be the same.

As our society decay more the music will only get worst.

Comment

No I don't disagree but until we have other changes in our society, it is sad but will only be the same.

Huh? Yuh sure bout that Sass?
                        "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Agreed. I believe I stated that some of the music reflects the nature of the society as well as affects it negatively.

Comment

If them worship guns, don't you think it will reflect in their music?

If man can go pon stage and talk bout how many people him murder, including police and there is no outrage about it, how is it going to get better?

Comment

Working...
                            X