X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A prosperous New Year!

A prosperous New Year!

Wednesday, January 07, 2009

During my high school days, there was this teacher who had a well-earned reputation for driving fear into students. One day, the teacher collared a boy who had an equally well-earned reputation for being a troublemaker. Incensed at some infraction of school rules the boy had committed, the teacher railed on him. "The devil has got hold of you. Admit it, boy." The terrified boy with eyes gaping and looking the teacher squarely in the eyes responded. "Yes Miss, it is true, and I am looking at the devil".

Complete Story ...
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Originally posted by Karl View Post
    A prosperous New Year!

Wednesday, January 07, 2009

The following four ethical maxims, if adhered to, can help us govern our actions as we work towards a more virtuous life and society in 2008.

. The Utilitarian Principle: Act in ways that result in the greatest good for the greatest number.

. Kantz Categorical Imperative: Act in such a way that the action taken under the circumstances could be a universal law or rule of behaviour.

. The Professional Ethic: Take only actions that would be viewed as proper by a disinterested panel of professional colleagues.

. The Golden Rule: Act in the way you would want others to act towards you.

Now, there are those who will want to stop reading at this point because they think they have the whole answer. Like the foolish man who built his house on a foundation of sand, they believe morality can exist outside of Christianity. The Christ-controlled Spirit is the key to a healthy mind and soul (Philippians 2: 5).

With that said and (I hope) agreed, it's only left for me to wish readers of this column a prosperous New Year. In the context of the present discourse, the words of John the Apostle from the scriptures (3 John: 2) are most appropriate. "Beloved, I wish above all things that thou may prosper and be in health, even as thy soul (mind) prospers."
    Of interest from time immemorial...and still interesting...but, in some form or the other isn't this what all the major religions teach? ...and the Marxists?
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Working...
    X