Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Commentators weigh in on Cabinet reshuffle rumours

Monday, 05 January 2009

Political commentators have weighed in on the talk of a cabinet reshuffle in the Jamaica Labour Party (JLP) administration.

Rumours surfaced last week that there could be changes in the Cabinet line up for the New Year.

However there have been repeated denials from officials in the administration.

Political Commentator Dr. Paul Ashley called on Prime Minister Bruce Golding to undertake a shake up of his ministers.

According to Dr. Ashley given the economic crisis it is prudent that the government cut back spending by making the Cabinet smaller.

He said the Cabinet should be no larger than 12 persons including the Prime Minister.

Dr. Ashley also believes that given the problems in handling the country's crime problem that Prime Minister Bruce Golding should himself assume that portfolio.

"He's now Minister of Defense he should take over the Ministry of National Security...because if Bruce Golding cannot through whatever combination of means a serious decline in crime then the government has lost it," said Dr. Ashley.

And while agreeing that there is need to make the Cabinet smaller, political commentator Lloyd B. Smith said finding the solution to crime is more an operational problem.

"It would be too much at this time for the Prime Minister to take on the position of Minister of National Security; he is already the Minister of Defense,"

"I think that what needs to be done is for a greater level of focus to be placed on the crime fighting aspect of government which should be in the hands of the police, starting from the Commissioner down," said Mr. Smith.

http://www.radiojamaica.com/content/view/14617/26/
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Am I Missing Something?

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
    Dr. Ashley also believes that given the problems in handling the country's crime problem that Prime Minister Bruce Golding should himself assume that portfolio. "He's now Minister of Defense he should take over the Ministry of National Security...because if Bruce Golding cannot through whatever combination of means a serious decline in crime then the government has lost it," said Dr. Ashley.

And while agreeing that there is need to make the Cabinet smaller, political commentator Lloyd B. Smith said finding the solution to crime is more an operational problem. "It would be too much at this time for the Prime Minister to take on the position of Minister of National Security; he is already the Minister of Defense,"
    Looking at Lloyd Smith's quote, I had to ask myself the question, "What am I missing here?" Of course the Prime Minister is already Minister of Defense, and we all know that! However, and this is the central question, what immediate threats in the past almost fifty years (in other words, half a century since our independence) have there been against Jamaica that should so completely occupy any Jamaican Prime Minister in his or her role as Minister of Defense?

Comment

Working...
    X