Archive - Dead Jamaican Celebrities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Archive - Dead Jamaican Celebrities

This site contains a list of all the Jamaican singers and musicians who have died over the past several decades.

The dates of birth and death for each, as well as the cause of death is listed beside each name. It is a very useful reference source, and is apparently updated regularly (the most recent update was a month ago - November 2008).

Here's the link for this very useful reference site, Black Echoes:

http://www.blackechoes.net/memoriam.htm

Hope you find it useful.

An interesting link Historian. Yes it is useful. I went looking and was surprised to see a few names of some former entertainers (eg Toyan) whom I had always wondered why they dropped of the entertainment scene.

Sadly, another name will soon be added to that list. That is Vincent Ford is credited as being the writer of Bob Marley's No Woman No Cry, Crazy Baldhead and Positive Vibration. However, it is widely considered that Bob actually wrote those songs but gave credit to Ford so that he could collect a lifetime of royalties. According to news reports, Ford died recently at KPH from complications resulting from diabetes.
    "The contribution of forumites and others who visit shouldn’t be discounted, and offending people shouldn’t be the first thing on our minds. Most of us are educated and can do better." Mi bredrin Sass Jan. 29,2011

Comment

They missed one:

Rodney "Bounty Killer" Price - Born: June 12, 1972 in Kingston, Jamaica Died: December 26, 2008 in St Catherine, Jamaica after running out of material while performing on stage at Sting 2008

Comment

It strikes me that so many died of violent causes...

and they also inlcuded Lord Kitchener...I suppose he had an influence on Jamaican music? comments Historian?
        Peter R

Comment

I have watched his career from "Kill For Fun" days and he was never impressive on stage.
          Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

mi see them have lord kitchner on dat ... guess jaamicans liked him he was on the windrush btw to england in 1948

Comment

I don't know why Kitch is on the list, other than he performed in Jamaica back in the 40s and he also played with Granville Edwards - H:\Lucea\entertainment.htm

Comment

Originally posted by TDowl View Post
                I don't know why Kitch is on the list, other than he performed in Jamaica back in the 40s and he also played with Granville Edwards - H:\Lucea\entertainment.htm

yes he an kitchner settled in manchester england and had a band in moss side ... Jamaicans like kitchner Tdwol mi know you are going to deny it

Comment

Originally posted by Peter R View Post
                  It strikes me that so many died of violent causes... and they also inlcuded Lord Kitchener...I suppose he had an influence on Jamaican music? comments Historian?
                  Originally posted by TDowl
                  I don't know why Kitch is on the list, other than he performed in Jamaica back in the 40s and he also played with Granville Edwards
                  I'm also not sure why Lord Kitchener was included, as I'm not aware that he impacted Jamaican music in any way whatsoever, other than to probably influence Harry Belafonte in the direction of calypso.

The calypsonian who contributed to Jamaican music scene is the other Trinidadian, Lord Creator (for example, his recording "Independent Jamaica," which was the biggest selling record in Jamaica in 1962). It can be argued that the ballad singer Lord Creator played a role in the development of Jamaican music, as he was here in the thick of things for many years, and made a number of records.

Originally posted by Peter R
                  It strikes me that so many died of violent causes...
                  Yep. Do you realize, for instance, that three members of the original Wailers died violently? I'm talking here about Junior Braithwaite, Carlton Barrett and Peter Tosh.

Originally posted by Farmah
                  An interesting link Historian. Yes it is useful. Sadly, another name will soon be added to that list. That is Vincent Ford is credited as being the writer of Bob Marley's No Woman No Cry, Crazy Baldhead and Positive Vibration. However, it is widely considered that Bob actually wrote those songs but gave credit to Ford so that he could collect a lifetime of royalties. According to news reports, Ford died recently at KPH from complications resulting from diabetes.
                  Thanks, Farmah. And yes, I read about Vincent Ford in The Observer a few days ago.
                  Last edited by Historian; January 2, 2009, 09:53 PM.

Comment

Just to show you have no clue about me, the last time I check I was born in Jamaica.

The Grand Master is the best Calypsonian ever, he was on the Windrush with Granville Edwards in 1948, and I have seen Kitch in a clip performing in Jamaica, Kitch was arave in Jamaica with "It was dark dark Dark..."

Comment

The cancer rate is alarming!

Blessed

Comment

Working...
                      X