• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sting - An Excellent Letter!!

LETTER OF THE DAY - Mavado-Kartel clash: Filthiness unlimited
    Published: Tuesday | December 30, 2008

The Editor, Sir:
    The Mavado-Kartel clash at Sting's 25th anniversary left me with an even stronger feeling that this country urgently needs a quality shift in its moral and spiritual fibre.

Kartel dressed in military-style attire and Mavado dressed like a policeman fed the crowd a toilet bowl mix of unlimited filth consisting of personal insults, expletives that would empty Ping's fabric store of its inventory, rabid disrespect for mothers and women in general, absolute disregard for the law, and violent language.

Stage presence
    All this in front of a strong police presence on stage, obviously powerless and helpless to effect any semblance of order or decency. Perhaps its time for Colonel Trevor MacMillan to really retreat to the golf course where he can effectively knock some balls about the green.

Symbolically, that Kartel-Mavado dress code and behaviour adequately reflect the state of the nation, its politics, Church, and police force in terms of the profanity, corruption, violence, and abject lawlessness that exist, albeit in different ways. Are these not corrupt and depraved authority figures?

My two colleagues and I walking through the crowd at Sting praying against the strongholds of wickedness in our society, observed the youthfulness of the crowd and the diet of debauchery and debased presentations by some male and female artistes, and wondered about this nation's future.

Is the meteoric falling of the moral and spiritual ethos of this nation not the root problem for Bruce, Portia and the church? Fix them and true change will begin to manifest. How?

Both church (spiritual) and state (physical) governors are the Almighty's representatives and ministers to the nation (Romans 13). It behoves them to repent jointly (reconsider, change course) on behalf of the people acknowledging sin and full responsibility for the mayhem, carnage, and waste of the country's resources that have epitomised our 46 years of independence. Repentance, truth, and reconciliation with God bring life, not icy cold death.

Kartel and Mavado are but small tips of the iceberg. It is time for real de-icing.

I am, etc.,
    DON MCDOWELL
    donmcdgodson@yahoo.com Kingston 19

Originally posted by Historian View Post

My two colleagues and I walking through the crowd at Sting praying against the strongholds of wickedness in our society, observed the youthfulness of the crowd and the diet of debauchery and debased presentations by some male and female artistes, and wondered about this nation's future.
    Is this fool serious? He attended STING to pray against wickedness? Mi have a feeling him was a look a ghetto slam

Comment

Originally posted by Bricktop View Post
      Is this fool serious? He attended STING to pray against wickedness?
      That part of the letter had me wondering as well. It sort of made the writer look really eccentric, or to put it more bluntly, really silly. This is sad as he actually wrote a very relevant letter.

But to attend Sting to pray against wickedness is a bit weird, to put it mildly.

Comment

well him find the wickedness he went there for.....he should now be praying!

on another note, how come no one was arrested for obscene of vulgar language? i'm sure charges have been brought against entetainers before on such charges...

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Sass mentioned this the other day as well. Lazie (sorta) argued that the Sting clash is important enough to be exempt from those irritating laws.
          "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

so it seems.....

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
              Sass mentioned this the other day as well. Lazie (sorta) argued that the Sting clash is important enough to be exempt from those irritating laws.
              Damn ... did Lazie say any such thing?
              "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Not really (you did say they should be fined) but I am being deliberately mischievous.

You did give the impression that if the artistes were willing to pay the fine BEFORE the event, then that should be sufficient though.

I think the badwud law is a bit silly myself, but there does need to be some consistency by the police in enforcing it.
                "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
                  Not really (you did say they should be fined) but I am being deliberately mischievous.

You did give the impression that if the artistes were willing to pay the fine BEFORE the event, then that should be sufficient though.

I think the badwud law is a bit silly myself, but there does need to be some consistency by the police in enforcing it.
                  "You did give the impression that if the artistes were willing to pay the fine BEFORE the event, then that should be sufficient though."

This was said in jest. It was obvious such languages would be used based on the build up to the clash so I was joking they may have paid their fines before taking the stage.

What I opposed Sass on was his claim that artistes were taking off stage and and arrested and I'm only aware of them being arrested after they've finished their set.
                  "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Sting is not all debauchery and gutter. Indeed, there were at least 2 gospel artistes in the line up. So, for me, no problem with this man attending the event and writing this letter.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

they all should be exempt from such silly laws, but still...what does the behaviour, in general, say about us?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

not only exempt, that law should not be on the books... the intent of the law should be for assault or to incite violence... then it could / should be an additional charge... to waste resources to enforce the 'badwud law' is only that, a waste of resources... the fine does not even cover the cost of enforcement...
                        'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

true!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                            they all should be exempt from such silly laws, but still...what does the behaviour, in general, say about us?
                            What behaviour in general? Cussing badword? Last time I checked their were no reports of violence at Sting?

Comment

mi grouse is them lock up a little man fi cuss a one badword. if you a keep a dance and cuss a badword then you gone a jail but kartel and mavado a big man a laing show them get away with it even with police on stage.

This is blatant hypocracy. Is either them scrap the law or charge everybody who do it.
                              • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Working...
                              X