• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Africa in the 21st Century (Part I)

Page last updated at 16:31 GMT, Monday, 29 December 2008
    Ugandan LRA 'in church massacre'

Many LRA fighters are abducted children

Uganda's army has accused the Lord's Resistance Army rebels of hacking to death 45 civilians in a Catholic church in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

Capt Chris Magezi said the scene was "horrendous... dead bodies of mostly women and children cut in pieces". The attack happened on 26 December.

A rebel spokesman has denied responsibility for the killings, which follow a collapse in the peace process. The UN says at least 189 people were killed in several attacks last week. Some reports say more than 100 people were killed in the church alone.

Page last updated at 11:50 GMT, Monday, 29 December 2008
    Cholera deaths soar in Zimbabwe

The UN has warned the total number of cases could reach 60,000

The latest figures from the UN and Zimbabwe's health ministry reveal that two-thirds of the victims of the cholera outbreak have died this month.

The death toll at the end of last week stood at 1,564, with 29,131 suspected cases since August, the UN said.

Figures from the health ministry on 1 December put cholera deaths at 484.
    The UN has warned it could take six months to control the outbreak that has been fuelled by the collapse of the health, sanitation and water services.
    No food According to the World Health Organization, cases have been reported in all 10 of Zimbabwe's provinces.

Page last updated at 01:55 GMT, Saturday, 27 December 2008
    Zimbabwe child malnutrition rises

Some five million Zimbabwean rely on food aid, the aid agency says

Acute child malnutrition in parts of Zimbabwe has increased by almost two-thirds compared with last year, aid agency Save the Children says.

In a report, the UK-based agency concluded that some children were "wasting away from lack of food".
    It said there was a shortage of 18,000 tonnes of food needed for January and urged world donors to increase aid.

The agency said innocent Zimbabweans should not suffer because of a political crisis out of their control.

"There is no excuse for failing to provide this food," said Lynn Walker, programmes director for Save the Children in Zimbabwe.

The agency said some five million people in Zimbabwe - or about 50% of the country's population - were now in need of food aid. Zimbabwe's farming sector collapsed after President Robert Mugabe launched a controversial land reform programme more than five years ago.

Page last updated at 19:05 GMT, Thursday, 23 October 2008 20:05UK
    Congo terror after LRA rebel raids

By Thomas Fessy
    BBC News, Dungu

Pierre Ndifumba, a village chief in north-eastern Democratic Republic of Congo, is slowly recovering after being attacked by rebels from across the border with Uganda.

"They hit me on the neck with a wooden stick several times," he told the BBC.
    "As I fell, blood was coming out of my ears, my nose and my eyes. They kept on beating me until I fainted," he added, while showing scars on his neck and on his back.

Pierre Ndifumba says he was left for dead

"When they thought that I was dead, they pulled me over 35 metres further and buried me in a hole with leaves to cover my body."

Mr Ndifumba was left unconscious but he eventually managed to escape and reached the town of Dungu four days later.

Tens of thousands of people have fled their homes after the Lord's Resistance Army (LRA) fighters raided 16 villages, according to the United Nations peacekeeping mission in DR Congo, known as Monuc.

Some of them walked up to 80km (50 miles) through the bush to reach Dungu, where local people have been sharing their few possessions with them.

'Kidnapped'
    "We came over here because the LRA looted and burnt our houses," says Marie Bimisa, who fled from Kiliwa, a village north of Dungu.

Page last updated at 16:39 GMT, Tuesday, 6 May 2008 17:39 UK
    Homeless Kenyans face grim return

By Josphat Makori
    BBC News, Molo

After spending the past four months in a tent in a camp for the homeless, Mary Wambui, a Kenyan mother five, jumped at the chance to return home.

"Life here is so miserable. We live in the same tent with our children; you literally have to jump over each other, to get in," she told the BBC.

"Look around, there are no toilets, bathrooms or anything else. it's been unbearable."

She and her family were among the first to take advantage of the government's programme to resettle the 140,000 people still displaced by the violence following last December's elections.

But others in the camp in Molo are not convinced that the inauguration of a power-sharing government last month really means the violence is over. "We are not livestock to be taken back to the slaughter," one old man said. "Yes we want to go back home but we want to go and stay. So let the government first facilitate meaningful peace talks and then we can be comfortable to return."

Page last updated at 15:35 GMT, Monday, 29 December 2008
    Somalia facing further power struggles

Al-Shabab rebels control large parts of Somalia

By Peter Greste
    BBC News, Nairobi

With few friends at home and abroad, Abdullahi Yusuf had little choice but to quit as Somalia's president.

His decision to go could not have come at a more critical point for Somalia.
    In his nationally broadcast resignation speech, Mr Yusuf reminded Somalis of the promise he had made when he was elected more than four years ago. "When I took power, I pledged three things," he said. "If I was unable to fulfil my duty, I will resign.

Page last updated at 14:13 GMT, Friday, 26 December 2008
    Somalis held in Ethiopia capital

By Elizabeth Blunt
    BBC News, Addis Ababa

Hundreds of young Somalis have been arrested in the past few days in the Ethiopian capital Addis Ababa.

A number were questioned and then released but it is thought at least 200 are still being held.

Most of the arrests took place on Tuesday night and Wednesday in the Bole area, the part of the town where most of the Somali community live.

A Somali embassy spokesman said he understood that security was being
    tightened before a regional summit. In some cases young men were taken from their homes while others were arrested in the streets. A spokesman for the Somali embassy in Addis Ababa said he and his colleagues were going around the police stations to find out what was going on.

Page last updated at 12:46 GMT, Tuesday, 2 December 2008
    Ethiopia's Somalia dilemma

By Roger Middleton
    Chatham House

Ethiopia entered Somalia two years ago to remove the Union of Islamic Courts , elements of whose leadership had been making provocative and aggressive statements about Ethiopia.

But the reality is that Ethiopian intervention, backed by the US and others, seems to have bolstered precisely the elements of the UIC, al-Shabab, that are most at odds with Ethiopia's interests and may very well have fatally undermined any chance Somalia's Transitional Federal Government (TFG) had of gaining legitimacy. Ethiopia has announced that they will leave Somalia, come what may, by the end of the year.

Prophecy, it has to get worse before it gets better and most importantly Europe has to fall in order for Africa to rise.

That way outside influence and guns will be reduced. Once the market for diamonds and other metals fall along with the spiritual beatdown of the wicked. Africa will rise again

so the thing set, sometimes you have to hit rock bottom before you can get back up.

Comment

Do you know there are many countries that are quite peaceful and I see you have a western view of Africa. I am NOT discounting the problems on the continent but if you visit Namibia, Zambia, Ghana & Tanzania etc, those are countries that have been traditionally peaceful and they are never in the news. Lets us not forget that the many problems WERE created by Europeans and their slaving/colonizing efforts, and their continued present day efforts to undermine those countries.

BTW, I am working on my next extended foreign trip and Africa awaits. Happy new year when it comes brethren!
      Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

While there are peaceful countries in Africa, as a whole the continent has far too many conflicts to be seen in any other way than war-torn. We have to face up to that. To argue otherwise is like arguing that there are many peaceful communities in Jamaica. Well, sure there are, but as a whole the country has a horrific crime problem!

We cannot avoid the reality that there has really been only ONE consistent success story in post-colonial sub-Saharan Africa and that is Botswana. One can only hope that South Africa will be able to join them but its stil early days for them.

The good governance that is a necessary condition for sustained economic success, is almost non-existent in Africa. The result has been a few years of growth when commodity prices are high (e.g. 1970s and the last few years) followed by chaos, military coups and humanitarian disasters when commodity prices fall.
        "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
          While there are peaceful countries in Africa, as a whole the continent has far too many conflicts to be seen in any other way than war-torn. We have to face up to that. To argue otherwise is like arguing that there are many peaceful communities in Jamaica. Well, sure there are, but as a whole the country has a horrific crime problem!

We cannot avoid the reality that there has really been only ONE consistent success story in post-colonial sub-Saharan Africa and that is Botswana. One can only hope that South Africa will be able to join them but its stil early days for them.

The good governance that is a necessary condition for sustained economic success, is almost non-existent in Africa. The result has been a few years of growth when commodity prices are high (e.g. 1970s and the last few years) followed by chaos, military coups and humanitarian disasters when commodity prices fall.
          This post is, in my opinion, one of the most factually accurate political comments for the year 2008! There is no point in me trying to highlight a particular sentence, because every one here is important.

Islandman, I tip my hat off to you for this concise, accurate summation of the situation on the continent of Africa. And your analogy using Jamaica is spot on! Like your excellent comments several months ago on Caribbean integration, this one here stands tall.

Botswana, despite that country's alarming AIDS statistics, is really the only genuine success story coming out of Africa in this era!

You mentioned South Africa, and I'm glad you did, as South Africa is a genuine African power. However, that southern African nation needs to get its act together, including eliminating the facts that (a) it has one of the world's highest homicide rate per capita (probably only one of the two or so peacetime countries that outrank homicide-mad Jamaica; (b) it has one of the world's leading AIDS statistics.

But South Africa, even more than Nigeria (I suspect) has the potential to be the powerhouse of Africa.

End Note: Isn't it interesting the mixed results in the post-Apartheid era?

Comment

Actually there are other successful countries in Africa, but I won't belabor the point. There is no debate about the poorly run ones, but to only see the mess without the entire picture is not the entire story.
            Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Regarding South Africa, yes the post-apartheid results have been mixed but to be honest considering that they were able to have a transformation of power without totally destroying the country and its economy is a great achievement in itself.

What makes Mandela so special is that quite apart from his outstanding freedom fighter credentials, he is one of very few in history who were able to make that transition from freedom fighter to successful head of government, and even more outstanding, from head of government to world-respected elder statesman! I can think of no other 20th century figure who has done this as succesfully as Mandela.

I think Mbeke has been a better leader than he has been given credit. Yes he has had controversial (I'm being politically correct here) views on AIDS/HIV and his reluctance to denounce Mugabe has frustrated many (especially in the West) but to succeed an icon like Mandela is no small feat and his economic policies have helped to created a small but significant black business class. I am somewhat uncomfortable with his successor, but lets hope for the best.

I think a strong and motivated Nigeria AND South Africa are necessary for Africa to have sustained and significant progress. Its just too much to overcome without both.
              "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

A Minor Correction

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
                We cannot avoid the reality that there has really been only ONE consistent success story in post-colonial sub-Saharan Africa and that is Botswana.
                I just had dinner, came back online, and immediately spotted an error I had made in my post above.

In that post, I commented on all of Africa when, as Islandman correctly stated, the brunt of the failure (and also Botswana's success story) reflected the situation in misery-plagued sub-Sahara Africa.

The fact is that the North Africa countries (Egypt, Libya, Tunisia, etc.) tend to display certain clearly differing socio-economic characteristics. And in the same way that their inhabitants generally look different from the majority of other Africans, the North African countries do not necessarily share the same economic and social problems as sub-Saharian (east, west and south) Africa does.

So, please read my comments as being focused on sub-Sahara Africa.

Comment

Hortical I hear you and its a point worth making , but I think most of us here are knowledgeable enough about Africa to take that as a given.

I guess my frustration with Africas leaders is higher than ever these days when I see so much of Asia and South America that were in a mess up to 25 years ago and also suffered under Western European dominance making such good progress while so much of Africa is stagnant.

Comment

I understand both points from Island & Hist, and we are very much in agreement on several points.

Comment

far too many of these countries. people can't find food but a buy guns. It hurt especially the mineral rich countries kill themselves.

I know many didn't like when i say Jamaica is not unique but when i speak to people from some a these countries I get the same shivers that i get when thinking about my beloved Jamaica.

Botwana has been a model. Ghana has just discovered commercial amount of oil and since they are a peaceful democracy one would think that that will only help their GDP.
                      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Working...
                      X