X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Unsung Women in Reggae

Doreen Shaffer, the queen of ska. Check out "Sugar Sugar"
    Artense Ellis, sister to the great Alton, check out her "I am just a gir"
    Marcia Griffiths well she is not unsung.
    Judy Mowatt kinda unsung
    Joy White check out "first cut is the deepest"
    Mumma Liza "check out "ole in the bucket" with Kojak
    Althea and Donna one hit wonder "upton top ranking"
    Pam Hall, one of the most underated musicans in Jamaica
    Audrey Hall, Pam sister from NY
    JC Lodge many don't know her backing ability on so many songs
    Sheila Hylton the original air hostest turn singer "The bed is too big without you"
    The late Phylis Dillion, check out "if you knew"
    Dawn Penn "No No No"
    Nadine Sutherland check out "Babyface"
    Sista(mumma) Nancy, like her bredda briggy mastered the art of riding music) check out "Bam Bam"
    Sophia George check out "Girlie Girle"
    Our own Shelly Thunder, check out "Kuff"
    Patra, drop offa the face of the earth "Pull up to the bumper"
    Dianna King we waiting on your next project to drop
    Lady G "been around for the longest time"
    Lady Junie also.
    Gem Myers has pretty much settled for the North Coast "one man woman"
    Nana Mcclean
    Lorna Bennett, check out her "breakfast in bed"

Cynthia schloss check out her song with Harold Butler

Big up the ladies cause they don't get the recognition and the push they deserve but continue to do it. Good to see so many a them a bus out now.

Some of the other ones who pass through are Lady Ann, Foxy Brown, Sister Charmaine, Sister Nitsy, Erica Newell, Mary Isaacs, Junie ranks, Rita Marley(everybody know her)and any more we can remember.
    Last edited by Assasin; December 28, 2008, 08:12 PM.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

The late Puma Jones of Black Uhuru. American born but definately one of reggaes leading ladies.
    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Also add Beverly Kelso, one of the founding members of the Wailers. Norma Frazer & Doreen Schaffer, studio one women.
      Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Marcia Griffiths

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPlDFgZvhe8&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9Hdb...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvyJS...eature=related
        THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Judy Mowatt -listen to her version of Concrete Jungle.

Comment

when unnuh seh UNSUNG what unnuh mean? Marcia, Judy and Rita are very much sung!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

If you notice I said Marcia is pretty much sung and Judy partial sung. Many a the youngster them don't even know who Judy is and her accomplishment.

As for Rita she is know for one song really "One draw" and her husband's work but I still didn't put her in the unsung part as like it or not she is the first lady of Reggae.
              • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Maybe dem mean this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFz23...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvCCQ...eature=related

Phyliss dillon.
                THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Rita's acclaim to fame is not based on her individual accomplishments but is based on her group efforts with Judy/Marcia & Bob. I would crown Marcia as the first lady of reggae.
                  Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

the first lady based on the fact that she is a recording artist and mother to so many a the marley recording children and wife of the late great

First lady is Marcia if we base it singing accomplishment.

Comment

Unsung?! That implies they deserve more respect than they received. I doubt it for many of those names. Why should we give Althea & Donna any more dan whey dem get?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Not that they were great but they were the first female duo and they were the first admitted uptowner who made it fashionable in their time.

That was a hit the made many new fans listen to reggae.

In general women deserve much more credit than is given to them in the reggae business.

Comment

didn't they have a minor hit with a song alled "one light four wheel"?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

a don't think that was them.

check this out

Althea & Donna is a Jamaican reggae singing duo.[1]
                            Contents

[hide]//

[edit] Career

The young Jamaican singers Althea Forrest (17), and Donna Reid (18), caused a surprise with their one-off reggae hit single, "Uptown Top Ranking". It was produced by Joe Gibbs[1] using a re-recording of the riddim of the 1967 Alton Ellis' song "I'm Still In Love", which had already been re-popularised in the 1970s by Marcia Aitken's cover "I'm Still In Love With You Boy" and the deejay track "Three Piece Suit" by Trinity. The single's UK release was on the Lightning record label.[1]
                            "Uptown Top Ranking" reached number one in the UK Singles Chart in February 1978,[1] after early championing by BBC Radio 1 DJ John Peel, but had only one week at the chart summit.[2] Oddly the surprise was compounded by the act often being billed as 'Althia & Donna', and the song sometimes entitled slightly differently, as "Up Town Top Ranking". The lyrics were written by the duo and Errol Thompson.[1][3] Althea & Donna thus became the youngest female duo to reach the pinnacle of the UK chart.[3]
                            They released the album of the same name in 1978, but never met with any more tangible success thereafter.

Comment

i'm not convinced it wasn't them 'sass.... yuh memba di chune...maybe historian can help?

Comment

Working...
                              X