Ninja Man Speaks!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ninja Man Speaks!!

I did not say the following words. Ninja Man, the acclaimed Don Gorgon himself said it. (I simply copied the man's statement from the detailed news story below.)

Dressed in his signature dapper style, the Don Gorgon addressed the audience: "Right now, some a oonu a go disappointed. Right now mi take a very serious aim inna di country, and anything weh too violent, mi kinda refrain mi self from it," Ninja Man said and the Assembly Hall on the UWI, Mona campus erupted in a way it never did for the duration of the conference. Everyone, including Cooper, applauded long and hard.

"When yu use dis term Border Clash most of the time, a man feel like yu a deal wid, like sey fi hold borders and boundaries. Well, right now mi cut off all border line, all boundaries and a one God, one aim, one unity, one umbrella we a say inna Jamaica," he added to perhaps the biggest shouts of approval and applause he ever got in his whole career from what must have been the smallest crowd.

Ninja Man was not finished. "And," he goes on, "we waan bring all the youths dem weh inna di fighting inna Jamaica, weh inna di politics ting, di ghetto confusion, di every day gang rival, we waan cut dem outta di violence and bring dem inna one unity. And di only way fi do dat is use the music, and if the music is a thing weh a tell yu sey kill dem and murda dem, border clash, and di yute dem a listen and a shoot after one another, lets refrain from border clash and dem tune deh and do songs like these."

Ninja Man defies 'Borders'
    Basil Walters, Observer staff reporter waltersb@jamaicaobserver.com
    Monday, February 25, 2008

NINJA MAN... anything weh too violent, mi kinda refrain mi self from it
    In a stunning retreat of his long-standing rude boy image, controversial dancehall artiste, Ninja Man refused Professor Carolyn Cooper's invitation to perform his defining 1990 hit song Border Clash.

The deejay's refusal came during the closing ceremony of the Global Reggae Conference, held at the University of the West Indies Assembly Hall on Friday.

This defiant stand by the self-professed "the-gold-teeth-gun-pon-teeth Don Gorgon," could be interpreted as a vindication of the critiques, particularly leading dancehall critic and columnist Ian Boyne, who often chides the genres violent lyrical content - much to the consternation of Professor Cooper and other leading dancehall apologists.

Boyne who did not attend the function, had in one of his recent controversial pieces entitled, From Bob Marley to Mavado, challenged the conference to examine the negative features of dancehall.

"February has been officially proclaimed Reggae Month; there is much hype over its celebration and a major reggae conference opens. at the University of the West Indies, Mona campus. But will anyone have the courage to speak the truth about the state of the music today?," asks Boyne in the aforementioned column.

Interestingly, little did the 'Don Gorgon' realise that he somewhat, not only spoke according to his conscience, but entered a space where an intellectual "clash" was taking place. A clash with the mores of dancehall culture - in which Ninja Man has played a key role - at its core.

Before Professor Cooper's lengthy introduction of Ninja Man, she ended her closing remarks of the week-long conference with a quotation from Bob Marley.

"What is marginal, what is peripheral?" Dr Cooper asked rhetorically before explaining. "Marginalisation is indeed often a sight of enpowering with resistance to and radical transformation of hegemonic institutions. In the words of Bob Marley - We refused to be what they wanted us to be, we are what we are, that's the way it's going to be/ You can't educate I for no equal opportunity, talking about my freedom, people's freedom and liberty, yeah/ We've been trodding on the winepress for much too long, rebel. As we close this historic conference on Global Reggae, it gives me great pleasure to invite Ninja Man to perform his Border Clash classic."

Added Professor Cooper: "Ninja Man's 1990 composition, Border Clash, is the classic articulation of the recurrent motif in Jamaican dancehall culture that demarcate contestation for power in a wide range of phases of interest. In its narrowest sense the dancehall clash denotes the on stage competition between rival deejays and sound systems contending for mastery before a discriminating audience.

More broadly, the clash is not just a performance event, but becomes a trenchant metaphor for the hostile interfacing for the warring zones in Jamaican society where for example, rival politicians, area dons, community leaders and their followers, contend for the control of territory both literal and symbolic."

Now for the surprise of the day, nay, the entire conference. Ninja Man refused to perform Border Clash.

Dressed in his signature dapper style, the Don Gorgon addressed the audience: "Right now, some a oonu a go disappointed. Right now mi take a very serious aim inna di country, and anything weh too violent, mi kinda refrain mi self from it," Ninja Man said and the Assembly Hall on the UWI, Mona campus erupted in a way it never did for the duration of the conference. Everyone, including Cooper, applauded long and hard.

"When yu use dis term Border Clash most of the time, a man feel like yu a deal wid, like sey fi hold borders and boundaries. Well, right now mi cut off all border line, all boundaries and a one God, one aim, one unity, one umbrella we a say inna Jamaica," he added to perhaps the biggest shouts of approval and applause he ever got in his whole career from what must have been the smallest crowd.

Ninja Man was not finished. "And," he goes on, "we waan bring all the youths dem weh inna di fighting inna Jamaica, weh inna di politics ting, di ghetto confusion, di every day gang rival, we waan cut dem outta di violence and bring dem inna one unity. And di only way fi do dat is use the music, and if the music is a thing weh a tell yu sey kill dem and murda dem, border clash, and di yute dem a listen and a shoot after one another, lets refrain from border clash and dem tune deh and do songs like these."

For third time, from resounding applause, the Assemble Hall was shaking like it was experiencing earth tremors before he performed the tune he suggested.

The song Ninja Man eventually did, goes in part:
    " Yes it hurts me fi hear di gun dem bark and it makes me happy when ghetto youths a talk, and that's a powerful decision that I want you fi know oh oh oh oh oh...
    University oh, mi see some dangerous tools in di hands of the fool
    And mi beg di ghetto youths dem fi cool before yu give book and pencil and send dem to school yu give dem a big forty-five dat dem fi rule....
    Oh mr politician yu come inna di ghetto with yu guns and amunition
    Everyday yu get up yu start issue out weapon people start dead by the minute and second
    Dis why I'm on a mission fi tek di ghetto yute dem from di guns dem and amunition..."

None of the contemporaries can walk in Ninja's shoes.

Ninja Man Performance at Sting 2007
    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by Hortical View Post
      None of the contemporaries can walk in Ninja's shoes.
      I agree with you, Hortical. Ninja Man is indeed head and shoulders above the vast majority of the deejays that I've heard! There's no question that he's a naturally talented poet who chose the best available vehicle for his gifts, the dancehall genre.

I'm waiting, however, for the dancehall-does-not-contribute-to-social-ills posse to make their comment on what Ninja Man said above!

When people like Islandman and I (and others as well, as Assasin has provided logical commentary while walking the thin line between the "For" and "Against" sides of the issue) charge that what takes place in the dancehall today probably does more ill than good in the society, we are lambasted. But when Ninja Man says the same things, there is nothing but a stony silence!

Should I post the lyrics of Movado's "Amazing Grace" (for example) on this forum?

Comment

Ninja is a decent performer and comedian and good for a few quotes, but he is nothing special at making songs.

His performances are only good for a hardcore jamaican audience because he relies on getting a forward from the crowd for his punchlines. He is definitely a notch below Beenie Man in the stage performance, but above folks like Kartel and Movado.

Comment

Amazing Grace? Isn't that a classic Christian song? LOL!

What Ninja did was commendable but he is such a showman you never know where the act ends and the reality begins. Lets see if he maintains his position on this for a while.
          "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
            Amazing Grace? Isn't that a classic Christian song? LOL!

What Ninja did was commendable but he is such a showman you never know where the act ends and the reality begins. Lets see if he maintains his position on this for a while.
            He changed it to Amazing grace, shot fly through face.

Comment

Lyrics - "Amazing Grace" by Movado

Originally posted by Me View Post
              He changed it to Amazing grace, shot fly through face.
              Amazing Grace
              By Movado

Chorus:
              Amazing grace
              Shot fly tru face,
              The bwoy dem a trace
              Shoot up dem base
              Have the K's dem in case,
              Dem try fi escape
              None cyaa escape
              When mi gun blaze

Verse 1:
              My war is like no orda,
              When mi dun dem nave no sista, no broda
              Should a hear the bwoy scream and say oh mama!
              Mi bus the camel back wit no hamma
              Body lef pon tar wid no anna
              Lef headless and speechless, nave no grama

Gaaaangsta fa life me a di war planna
              My AK spit shot like karl Banner
              So dont **************** around unnu wil DEAD
              Mi eva strap wid mi gun wid 1 ina head
              Hear mi seh mek a nex talk 1 inya dead
              Memba fi pick it up ina MADDEN'S bed

Di informaz tell di cops seh mi evil
              How me vigle it love murda people
              How mi mek 2 much drive by ina vehicle
              Dem see body drop an run out like a diesel

Verse 2:
              Mi deh ya pon di danger zone
              An annuh me alone strap wid mi crome
              Who fi get sen home affi get sen home
              Dem a fight fi throne
              Coppa to dem dome
              Rise season to bone
              Mi nuh STALONE but mi shoot man fi cheap like Malone
              Am a ****************IN patriot
              Likle feisty rat watch yuh feisty chat
              Coppa to yuh face from mi ace glock
              Him raise fi drop
              Spine out, mi business, all him tongue and all him ears fi drop
              Am a snipa so mi nuh waste mi shot
              Plus the bwoy weh sell mi out nah go live fi collect
              Sen mi son pon di works an di bullet connect
              A di fus dem see a death like dat ina di planet
              Di man weh work a di morgue see it an affi vomit
              Plus di gun weh mi a bus it have the red light pon it
              An di riffle wit the light brite like a head light pon it
              When it buss ina yuh face yuh meet yuh deat light from it
              ********************-ole go violate mek him swalla a clip

Amazing grace,
              Di bwoy dem a trace
              Shoot up dem base

Ha ha ha haa ha ha
              Amazing grace!

Gunz in conference
              Murda dem fi less dan 1 cent
              Mi nuh leave nuh evidence
              Fool, run lef him residence
              Uptown am DI MADAFUKIN President

Comment

And From Dominica....

(http://www.thedominican.net/articlesone/mavado.htm )

Volume No. 2 Issue No. 44
                - Monday June 30, 2008

Movado Raises Concerns in Dominica
                Dominicanewsonline.com

Movado's lyrics have come under close scrutiny.

A prominent radio Disk Jockey turned born again Christian is raising the alarm over the performance of popular reggae artist Movado, scheduled for July.

In an article publication Dj Alfy raises concern about the current social trend of Dominican youth due to various media and other influences.

“This article’s main objective is to seek to explain how our youth are targeted by the violent lyrical contents of the artists they seek to emulate. As a DJ with over 15 years of experience, I can say without fear of contradiction that many youths are attracted to songs based primarily on the rhythmic beat and not on the lyrics.

Artists are aware of this factor, therefore those with a message to “preach” use the beat as the vehicle to capture the audience. One such artist with very catchy beats is the Jamaican artist Movado, who’s real name is David Constantine Brooks. Movado, whose latest album entitled “Gangster for Life” (released in 2007) is scheduled to perform in Dominica in July 2008.”

Alfy states in his article that one of Movado’s trends is his propensity for using popular church songs in order to capture the ears of our youth, but changing around the lyrics in order to preach his own message. A typical example is the popular church song entitled “I am under the Rock.” Movado has changed the word “Under” to “On”, as he chants: “I am on the rock.” The chorus continues: “I am on the rock; go tell my enemy, I am on the rock, Selassi guide me, and a me them cyaaa stop, I will never look back.”

According to Dj Alfy the biblical reference on which the Christian song “I am under the Rock” is based is 1 Corinthians 10:4 which states that the children of Israel “Drank water from the Spiritual Rock that accompanied them, and that Rock was Christ.”

Since many Caribbean contemporary songs tend to convey lyrics of double-meaning, many impressionable minds have interpreted Movado’s inference to “I am on the rock, higher than I and I” as literally meaning “I am high on crack” since “rock” is one of the street names for crack cocaine. Thus, the song is seen by many as a clear glorification of crack cocaine by a musical icon that they seek to emulate.

“In the intro of the song, the fourth line states: “My name is excellent.” This expression is deemed by many pundits as being blasphemous since Almighty God is the only one whose name is excellent. One therefore wonders who’s name is excellent. Is it Movado’s, or is it someone else’s? In Matt.12:32 the bible clearly states that anyone who speaks blasphemously against the Holy Spirit will never be forgiven,” Alfy wrote.

“Another popular church song which Movado has rearranged is the cherished hymn “Amazing Grace.” But in characteristic fashion he has twisted it into a “Gun tune”. The chorus of his rendition states: “Amazing grace, shot fly tru face, the bwoy dem a trace, shoot up dem base, have the K’s (AK47 assault rifle) dem in case, dem try fi escape, none cyaa escape, when me gun blaze.”

The violent content of the song is self-evident. Interestingly, our Minister for national security spoke recently of holding consultations to explore the imposition of stiffer penalties on persons having illegal firearms and ammunitions in their possession, yet we are bringing in an artist whose message is a clear undiluted glorification of the very gun culture that we are trying to put a stop to,” he added.

The verses of Movado’s “Amazing Grace” rendition are even more graphical. As a parent, I find the contents very disturbing. Indeed, all parents should, because when shots start flying, it is the safety of our children that we first worry about.

Now some might argue that an artist has the right to freedom of speech. Sure, by all means we have the right to our own opinion, and we also have the right to express our opinion in the form of song. However, we must keep in mind the well known axiom that “Word take on flesh.” Two of hip-hop’s biggest artists: Notorious BIG and Tu-Pac both lived and died victims of the violent songs they sang about. One therefore wonders whether we have learnt anything from their mistakes.

Mel Cooke of the April 27, 2008 edition of the Jamaican Gleaner wrote: “Movado’s often violently graphic lyrics deemed in various quarters as just about the closest thing to Salman Rushdie's Satanic Verses.”

In an effort to protect the young impressionable minds of its citizens, some Caribbean governments have taken proactive action by banning artists with such violent lyrical contents from performing on their shores.

In January 2008, the Trinidad Express blamed the music of Movado for the stabbing of a student. As a result of this, some DJs in Trinidad & Tobago have reportedly refused to play his music.

In an editorial in Barbados’ premiere newspaper The Nation, Mr. Haynes, one of the island’s leading reporters called for all radio stations to ban Movado’s music.

At a press conference held in Georgetown Guyana on 28th April 2008, Home Affairs Minister Clement Rohee told reporters that Movado is seen as a security risk to the country. The decision to blacklist the Jamaican was taken by the Bharrat Jagdeo administration after careful consideration of their track record, reported Radio Jamaica.

As for how such actions will impact on Movado’s career, Jones-Griffiths, Movado’s manager said in the Jamaica Star that “This type of action does not do anything to cease Movado’s momentum and popularity, if anything, it just adds to his legend.”

Artists are clearly using the violent lyrical contents of their songs to lure youths into deviant practices, and are using publicity concerns from media as a step-up tool for gaining popularity. I believe that it is absolutely hypocritical for us to lament the proliferation of crimes, drugs and violence in our country while we open our front doors wide to persons who glamorize these heinous activities.

Food for thought: 1 Corinthians 10:21 clearly says that: “You cannot drink the cup of the Lord and the cup of demons too; you cannot have a part in both the Lord’s table and the table of demons.”

Let me reiterate that this article is not meant to condemn anyone, but to educate and enlighten us. Knowledge is power. As the WCK song says, “Either you In, or either you Out.” The choice is yours. May God grant you wisdom to choose wisely. God’s blessings on all."

Comment

Movado & Kartel's lyrics are too vile for me now, but 15 years ago I might have been a fan of those artists as a yute.
                  Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

As historian say Ninjaman is is one the most talented DJ out there. He has better stage presentation than nearly all a them out there. he is a poet and a comedian in his own rights and could easily have taken any of those courses. He is also a damn good actor. Ninja timing on riddim is great. he has been an has been orginal and has created many styles that other djs have live off including the STAMMA style that he did in Mad Ninja.

He has done some good recordings in his early days but he hasn't put a lot of effort into this as he could. Ninja man is maybe the most versitile DJ out there and for over 30 years now the man has been on top, never out of the top ten throughout all his troubles. Not only hardcore fan love ninja as all he has to do is draw for his early days with tunes like "protection" and songs with Tinga etc.
                    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

"He has better stage presentation than nearly all a them out there" All of them period.

Comment

Originally posted by TDowl View Post
                        "He has better stage presentation than nearly all a them out there" All of them period.
                        Beenie Man is much better than Ninja Man.

Comment

We will differ on that.
                          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Did I say Bounty Killa, LOL, what is stage presentatuion LOL.

Comment

Sorry Sassin. There is no day that Ninja can compare to Beenie Man. The closest Ninja can come is him 88 to early ninties days. Beenie is a man that will mash up hardcore crowd, Yankee crowd, European Crowd and have a stadium full of Japanese going crazy. After 15 minutes a Ninja, it starts to get repititive. Them time deh, Beenie just start to get warm.

Comment

Working...
                              X