• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Businessman Helps Bereaved Family

Errol Brennon to the rescue
    Kingston businessman helps bereaved mom
    BY HORACE HINES Observer West reporter TOWN HEAD, Westmoreland
    Thursday, December 18, 2008

Chairman of Sunshine Auto Parts Limited Errol Brennon has rallied to support Narine Hanson's desperate plea for financial assistance to bury her two children with a $100,000 grant.

Brennon's kindness was inspired by the Observer West's article last week about Hanson's need for help to bury 10-year-old Jevaughn and his 16-year-old sister who died days apart after eating a meal of ackee, canned mackerel and rice.
    Chairman of Sunshine Auto Parts Limited, Errol Brennon (right) hands over a cheque of $100,000 to David (left) and Narine Hanson (2nd left) to assist with funeral arrangements for their children who died of food poisoning two weeks ago. Sister of deceased Taneishsa Hanson looks on. (Photo: Horace Hines)
    "This one (article) was very enlightening and I was touched in more ways than one. And then I had to answer the call because if you are touched you can't just sit there and say be on your way and have a good day, that does not go very far. So I decided to see what I can do," Brennon disclosed during his visit to the home of the bereaved Tuesday.
    The Good Samaritan left Kingston on Monday evening and overnighted in Santa Cruz, St Elizabeth before resuming his journey to the rural Town Head community.

"Rough times for business now, you don't have a lot of it but I felt compelled to assist based on that headline. That is why I took time off my busy schedule. I could be making money today but sometimes money is not all. I want to make my little contribution," he said.

The headline to which Brennon referred - 'Help me bury my children' - was emblazoned on the back page of last week's edition of the Observer West.
    Meanwhile, the grieving family is appreciative.

"Thanks for what the gentleman has done, and all members of the family, community and members of the media," said Hanson, who lives in Dumfries, St James, and works at the Hampden Estate, Trelawny, visiting her family on a fortnightly basis.

Added her husband David Hanson, "I give thanks to know that we are getting a helping hand because it no up deh and me give thanks."
    The siblings died two weeks ago.

Their brothers, Tasman, 13 and David, 6, were admitted to the Savanna-la-Mar Hospital for treatment, but they have now both been released.

In addition to the cheque, Brennon, who visited the funeral home where the corpses are, pledged to ensure that all expenses were covered before he left the parish.

Dr Wykeham McNeil, Western Westmoreland MP, also gave an assurance that he would be rendering his assistance to the family with the burial, scheduled for Monday.
    "The contribution of forumites and others who visit shouldn’t be discounted, and offending people shouldn’t be the first thing on our minds. Most of us are educated and can do better." Mi bredrin Sass Jan. 29,2011
Working...
X