No announcement yet.

Discussion - Great Black Singers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Randy Crawford had a serious edge to her voice; a quality I liked...
    Shaka Kahn get a mention
    Tina Turner definitely
    Peter R

Comment

Is a forner instructor of mine was a member of that band. I saw him recently. Errol lingo. i remember them days and the buzz around one Diana King.

Howevr JC lodge is my favorite. She did 80% of the back up for Joe Gibbs back in the day. Can't take anything away from Marcia though she is the queen.
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Tami Chin is now signed with hip hop artist Akon. She is performing a lot with him all over the place and have done some video with him. Her album soon drop. She was on a pepsi or coke commercial recently. Tess is a classica singer and me and Balla was talking about her a while back. The first time i saw a video i was impress.

Currently you have Sherene Anderson who is recording with Sly and Robbie, Maddona, Britney Spears and others, doing very well. Then you have Etana and other ladies out there representing well, more than any other time in our music history. not to mention a host of woman singjays and djs.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Right beside you on that one, Lazie. Some of us are not able to attach greatness to current or recent singers. Or to a certain genre. Pop music, for some, can't produce anything great.

History will put Luther in him place, which is right at the top!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Mosiah: i was not expecting you to be part of this kind of discussion.

Please stick to daaance 'all discussions.

Thanks in advance!
            The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
              jerry butler
              donnie hathaway
              david ruffin
              billy eckstine
              nat cole
              PAUL ROBESON
              Gamma you gon't play, I am with you except for #2, I am trying to recall who I would replace him with.

Comment

I will pigy back with Sarah Vaughn and Patti

Comment

Ronnie Dyson out of Brooklyn, very interesting, he also sounded Jamaican to me, but can you hip me to why he makes your list?

Comment

How about the late Archie Lewis and Totlyn Jackson?

Comment

"Your article is worth submitting to the Gleaner....." Historian, you have always been adamant about the cause for Jamaican music to change it/s course, why not go mainstream?
                      Why is it that only foreigners are the authority on Reggae music?

Comment

Originally posted by TDowl View Post
                        Ronnie Dyson out of Brooklyn, very interesting, he also sounded Jamaican to me, but can you hip me to why he makes your list?
                        TDowl, Ronnie Dyson has to rank up there among the greats of African-American music!! Have you ever really listened to "If You Let Me Make Love To You (Then Why Can't I Touch You)" or "When You Get Right Down To It"? If that isn't beautiful male singing, then I honestly don't know what is!!

This guy is no lightweight! For example, do you realize that he played the lead role in the Broadway musical of the late 1960s, "Hair." In my view, Dyson is certainly a more outstanding singer than three-quarters of the men listed in this thread, and his death was certainly a great loss to American popular music!

Comment

Originally posted by Historian View Post
                          I hope the moderators won’t mind me starting a new thread on this topic of great black singers.

Personally, I use adjectives like “greatest” very carefully, as it’s extremely difficult to adequately assess all the outstanding singers in order to reach this conclusion. To provide one example, I always refer to the unbelievably technically outstanding late Canadian jazz pianist Oscar Peterson as being “one of the greatest” pianists, rather than “the greatest.”

Like many listeners, I have always loved the silky smooth vocals of Luther Vandross, but there is no way under the sun I’m going to even think of applying the term “greatest” to him! Same with Marvin Gaye! They are outstanding black vocalists, but greatest?

Below are seven black singers that I regard as being truly outstanding in every sense of the word (impressive range, beautiful tone, style, etc.). Now, Reggae Massive, who are your outstanding black singers?

Larnelle Harris
                          Ronnie Dyson
                          Alvin Slaughter
                          Jackie Wilson
                          Garnet Mimms
                          Solomon Burke
                          Donnie McClurkin
                          http://video.aol.com/video-detail/le...id=VIDURVMUS01

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9OFI...eature=related

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leontyne_Price
                          "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Franky Paul has a great range.

What about Ken Boothe?

mikey Spice wasn't very bad.

Richie Stephens is very good.

Comment

yuh hear cherine anderson in "put it on me"....WOW!!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

no I haven't but she is making a lot of waves. Recording with Maddonna, Britney Spears and a big rock punk band in one year.

Sly and Robbie new prodigy. I have to find that tune.

We figet bout Junior Tucker.
                                Remember "I think I found the love of a lifetime"

You know a kid I think maybe had some depth but never took it serious until lately is Thriller U.

Comment

Working...
                                X