RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gangster turns student - Former bad boy tells IMF boss ....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gangster turns student - Former bad boy tells IMF boss ....

Gangster turns student - Former bad boy tells IMF boss how far he has come

Kerreth Atkins, a reformed gang member, wants criminals to not be fearful of being stereotyped and turn their lives around.

Atkins' success story was told during a visit from Dominique Strauss-Kahn, managing director at the International Monetary Fund (IMF), to RISE Life Management Services, on East Street, Kingston, yesterday.

As recent as seven years ago, Atkins was involved in a number of gang-related activities, including extortion, sale and abuse of illegal drugs and other activities in the United States of America.

Yesterday, Atkins showed Strauss-Kahn a little of what he had learnt about computers since being a participant in the RISE skills-training programme.

Do not fear

"Don't be afraid to do the right thing. The big factor for many of these men (who are involved in illegal activities) is fear. Fear of what people will say, fear to change their lives, or fear to learn to read," said 35-year-old Atkins, who grew up in Tel Aviv.

At age 17, after dropping out of high school, Atkins was taken to the United States by his father, who abandoned him shortly after.

The abandonment drove young Atkins to a life of crime.

After nine years of being a gang member, Atkins returned to Jamaica in 2001. Unemployed and unemployable, Atkins decided to get computer and other skills training at RISE.

"My children are definitely part of the reason I decided to change my life. I wouldn't want my sins to fall on them and I want to be there for them," said the father of two girls, ages 10 and five.

RISE Life Management Services, formerly the Addiction Alert Organisation, was established by the Private Sector Organisation of Jamaica in 1989.

Health-related programmes

The non-profit organisation provides educational and health-related programmes for at-risk youth.

Strauss-Kahn made a donation to the organisation's programmes.

Strauss-Kahn's tour was part of his 24-hour visit to the island, which was at the invitation of the Government.

While at the organisation's facility, the IMF managing director also officially launched RISE's Kidz Club and Parent-Child Open Day, an adult and children academic and social participatory event, to be staged today in six Corporate Area inner-city communities.

http://www.jamaica-gleaner.com/glean...ead/lead3.html
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)
Working...
X