No announcement yet.

Dermott Hussey (anybody remember him?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dermott Hussey (anybody remember him?)

I take it he is no longer in Jamaica? I have been listening to Dermott hosting a section called "The joint" on Sirrus XM satellite radio. He is still his own cool self and knowledgeable about the music. It takes be back to the late 80s listening to him on a program he hosted called The Rhythm Section on one of the radio stations in Jamaica (cannot remember which of the two). Shows how long I have been away as since I left there are a slew of radio stations there.

Today it snowed in Kansas City, so it affected traffic on my way home. What would normally be a 30 to 40 minute drive home in traffic took me two hours and fifteen minutes. I certainly did not mind it however as Dermott kept me occupied with music by Deltoy Wilson, Toots and the Maytals, Bob Marley, Gyptian, John Holt, Burning Spear, Ky-Mani Marley, Julian Marley, Shabba Ranks, The Mighty Diamonds, Errol Dunkley, Little John, Peter Tosh, Freddie McGregor, Gregory Isaacs, Junior Reid, Super Cat, Culture among others I cannot recall right now. It was truly entertaining as only Dermott Hussey can do it.

Anybody remember him?
    "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Dermot is a broadcasting stalwart/musicologist from back in the day who is still going strong on XM. He is, I believe, currently the program director for XM's reggae channel the Joint. Knows the music like the back of his hand.

Comment

Originally posted by Runawaybay View Post
      Dermot is a broadcasting stalwart/musicologist from back in the day who is still going strong on XM. He is, I believe, currently the program director for XM's reggae channel the Joint. Knows the music like the back of his hand.
      I too have been away from Jamaica for much too long! Imagine, I had forgotten all about the existence of a giant of musical history like Dermott Hussey! Back in the day, Dermott was definitely a role model for me with his immense knowledge of jazz, reggae, rocksteady, ska, salsa, and various types of African music.

If I'm not mistaken, he was employed by the JBC. I used to listen to The Rhythm Section without fail every week!

Comment

yeah he was at JBC. RJR wasn't that deep when it came to music back in the days. They were more commercial.

Dermot Hussey is deep. As Runaway Bwoy say, him know it like the back of his hand.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

I heard him the other day too....I guess he was on the XM all this time.

Comment

Yes, it seems as if the merger or acquisition of XM by Sirius has given us the luxury of Dermott Hussey on Sirius programing. It is really refreshing to be able to listen to him again.

Just to point out that Dermott not only know Jamaican music, but a wide genre of popular music. One of my favorite artiste is Michael Franks and I give credit to Hussy who featured Michael Franks on his program one night back in the mid 80s. The very next day I was in the record stores trying to find Michael Franks' music. Unfortunately, it was not until I made it to the States that I was able to add Franks to my music collection.
            "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Dermott still has a programme on radio here on Sunday afternoons, given the technology these days I can't say if he is in studios in Kingston or some where else
              Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
              Che Guevara.

Comment

Just last night i was flicking through channels on the Sirrus satelite network.

While on the reggae channel, the announcer introduced himself as Dermott Hussey.

The name sound familiar!
                The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

If you ever listened to the Bob Marley Album "Talkin Blues" , Dermott is the one who is interviewing Bob between the tracks. He knew Bob very well and interviewed him a few times.

If there is such a thing as a musicologist, Dermott Hussey is it.
                  "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

is it dermot or neville willoughby? i seem to think it was neville...will check my album when i get home.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Nevillle's interviews was on an earlier and more well-known album.

The Neville album was more an album of interviews. The Talkin Blues album was live studio performances with short interview questions in-between where he spoke about the original Wailers and the differences he had with Bunny and Peter.
                      Last edited by Islandman; December 11, 2008, 04:48 PM.
                      "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

as mi likkle son once said..."i stand connected"

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Working...
                        X