Single by Bob Marley & the Wailers
    from the album Natty Dread
    Released 1974
    Genre Reggae, R&B
    Writer(s) Credited to Vincent Ford
    Bob Marley & the Wailers singles chronology
    "No Woman, No Cry"
    (1974) ...

"No Woman, No Cry" is a reggae song made famous by Bob Marley & The Wailers. The song first became world-famous in 1974 through the studio album Natty Dread. The live version from the 1975 album Live! is perhaps best known — it was this version which was released on the greatest hits compilation Legend. Though Bob Marley likely wrote the song, songwriter credits were given to "V. Ford". Vincent Ford was a friend of Marley's who ran a soup kitchen in Trenchtown, the ghetto of Kingston, Jamaica where Marley grew up. The royalty cheques received by Ford ensured the survival and continual running of his soup kitchen.
    A more accurate rendering of the title in Jamaican patois would be "No, woman, nuh cry". Nuh, which makes a shorter vowel sound for no, is the equivalent of the contraction don't.

The song has since been covered by such artists as Wyclef Jean, Londonbeat, Murder One, Blues Traveler, O.A.R., Devon Allmans Honeytribe, Joan Baez, Xavier Rudd, Jimmy Buffett, Jonathan Butler, Gilberto Gil (Daniela Mercury recorded this version at Balé Mulato - Ao Vivo), The Fugees, No Use for a Name, Utada Hikaru, String Cheese Incident, NOFX (live, with El Hefe playing and singing alone), Tila Tequila, Boney M, Rancid, Pearl Jam, Andrés Calamaro, Hugh Masekela, Hedley, Jimmy Cliff, Pauline Black, Peter Rowan, Bill Bourne, Graham Parker, Keller Williams, Eterna Inocencia, as a duet by Faith Hill with Tim McGraw , Sean Kingston[3] (see video here), and the Arabic singer Ali Bahar. The "G-punk" band Hed PE as of the year 2002, began covering the song at many of their live shows. The ska punk band [spunge] is the only band to ever have officially been given permission by the Marley family to change the lyrics, for their cover on the album Room For Abuse. The pop rap band Sweetbox used a part of the song for the chorus of their song "Everything's Gonna Be Alright". Naughty by Nature sampled Boney M's version of the song for their hit single "Everything's Gonna Be Alright."

"No Woman, No Cry" (as recorded by Marley & the Wailers) was No. 37 on Rolling Stone's 500 Greatest Songs of All Time.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Nex GREAT CHUNE! - Talkin Blues by Bob

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=a8DsuvLyvqE
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

What initially attracted me to the live in London version was the really beautiful guitar solo by that American lead guitarist who was a member of the Wailers, Al Anderson. That guy is a really good rock-blues guitarist, and so it is no surprise that Bob Marley, Peter Tosh and later Ziggy Marley used his services in the studio and on stage so much.

Al Anderson (Bob Marley and the wailers) and Donald Kinsey (Peter Tosh) were two North American lead guitarists who fitted in perfectly in the Jamaican reggae landscape!

I recall when Don Topping won that Caribbean radio deejay contest back in the late 1970s (or was it early 1980s?). The song that he used to crown that event was that London-recorded live version of "No Woman No Cry." Really a great work from our legendary composer.

By the way, do you realize that Bob Marley is probably the Third World's only superstar? (That Nigerian composer/musician Fela does not even come close!)

Comment

He was certainly the first Third World musical superstar. For a long time Bob and Pele were easily the 2 most recognizable figures from the Third World.

These days with the internet, music videos, opening up of China, etc and a new generation of music and sports fans that has probably changed.
        "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Karl when was the last time yuh buy a new CD, 1990?
          Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
            He was certainly the first Third World musical superstar. For a long time Bob and Pele were easily the 2 most recognizable figures from the Third World.

These days with the internet, music videos, opening up of China, etc and a new generation of music and sports fans that has probably changed.
            Thing is...the internet has made Marley even more known! Yup! Bob is still up there as one of the most recognizable figures (not just from the Third World)...but, world-wide!

Comment

Originally posted by Hortical View Post
              Karl when was the last time yuh buy a new CD, 1990?
              Not too long. Remember I have said here a love the 'sugary sweet' music. Some gems are around.

...well I also love the Jamaica produced music that 'takes me back in time'...not necessarily only before and during slavery days, yet certainly those times...but also to earlier times of my life...and also to what I call the 'real' Jamaica.

The paradox is much of the dance hall music I dismiss. Yet...isn't that also a part of 'the real Jamaica'? ..but we are all complex persons. Hey...cut me, I bleed!

Comment

Tons of quality reggae on the street if you are not a fan of dancehall.
                Morgan Heritage, Duane Stephenson, Gyptian, Mikey Spice, Taurus Riley, and the new Beres Hammond album which is Ok.
                Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Yep, I'm pretty sure he still ranks high. In fact up until recently he was a regular on the annual list of the highest earning dead celebrities in the world.
                  "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by Hortical View Post
                    Tons of quality reggae on the street if you are not a fan of dancehall.
                    Morgan Heritage, Duane Stephenson, Gyptian, Mikey Spice, Taurus Riley, and the new Beres Hammond album which is Ok.
                    Thanks!
                    ...as if I am not listening to some of them!

Comment

Working...
                    X