Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NY Promoter Sues John Holt

LinkUp Media Cancels John Holt's Visa and Files Lawsuit

On Saturday December 6, 2009 John Holt was scheduled to perform at the 4th Annual Vintage Reggae fest in NYC alongside artists Coco Tea, Sugar Minott, Brigadier Jerry, Leroy Sibbles, Uroy, Nadine Sutherland and Carlton Livingston. John Holt decided not to show up, prompting David "Squeeze" Annakie to compensate by replacing Mr. Holt with Gregory Isaacs, Frankie Paul and Courtney Melody -- leading to additional expenses in excess of $70,000. While the sold out show was very successful, Mr. Annakie has decided to sue Mr. Holt for breach of contract and has canceled his work visa. The Law Offices of Spar and Bernstein have been retained by David "Squeeze" Annakie and LinkUp Media to handle the case.

"It is very unfortunate that I have to do this," explained Annakie. "However, this is the third time that John Holt has done this. As a promoter, I am committed to my patrons to be transparent and deliver as promised. This philosophy extends to all contracted with my organization. I will see Mr. Holt in court."

Mr. Holt was issued a valid O-1 work visa at the US Embassy pursuant to a non-immigrant visa petition filed by petitioner LinkUp Media, to whom Mr. Holt was contractually obligated to perform at the Vintage ReggaeFest on December 6, 2008. At the request of Mr. Holt, Spar and Bernstein confirmed the validity of his work visa with the U.S. Embassy in Jamaica on two separate occasions and also received confirmation from U.S. Immigration and Customs that Mr. Holt would be allowed to enter the United States on his O-1 visa to perform at the scheduled concert. NNMr. Holt had no excuse, as far as immigration is concerned, not to enter the United States based on his contractual obligations.

Both LinkUp Media and Spar and Bernstein put in substantial time and effort confirming Mr. Holt's visa at the US Embassy in Jamaica and at the Immigration and Customs Enforcement in the United States, and are both puzzled and disappointed that he chose to break his contract by failing to perform at the Vintage Reggae Fest.
    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Common thing with the Jamaican artistes. Full time someone take them to court about it. I remember back in the day as a student in DC, I went to see Dennis Brown at the Club Kilimanjaro. The place was full and his opening act Flourgon performed and went off. After a long wait, they brought on Flourgon again. When Flouron went off and after another long wait, people expecting to see Dennis Brown, out come Flourgon again. He was met with a rain of bottles as he beat a hasty retreat from the stage.

The crowd started getting restless as it was known that Dennis Brown was there, but refused to perform until he was paid in full. It so happened that he did not perform that night and patrons had to go back to where they purchased their tickets for a refund.

Too much times things like this happen with jamaican artists. A friend of mine was telling me that he went to a show which was supposed to feature Sanchez and he too was a no show.
    "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Originally posted by Tilla View Post
      Common thing with the Jamaican artistes. Full time someone take them to court about it. I remember back in the day as a student in DC, I went to see Dennis Brown at the Club Kilimanjaro. The place was full and his opening act Flourgon performed and went off. After a long wait, they brought on Flourgon again. When Flouron went off and after another long wait, people expecting to see Dennis Brown, out come Flourgon again. He was met with a rain of bottles as he beat a hasty retreat from the stage.

The crowd started getting restless as it was known that Dennis Brown was there, but refused to perform until he was paid in full. It so happened that he did not perform that night and patrons had to go back to where they purchased their tickets for a refund.

Too much times things like this happen with jamaican artists. A friend of mine was telling me that he went to a show which was supposed to feature Sanchez and he too was a no show.
      Well mi nuh kno... ...but 2009 nuh cum yet
      "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Tilla View Post
        The crowd started getting restless as it was known that Dennis Brown was there, but refused to perform until he was paid in full.
        Get paid first, work later

What a thing, while the poor patrons are paid in arrears (work first, get paid later!
        Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
        - Langston Hughes

Comment

Not all the artist fault. There are some a di promoter them who after the artist perform disappear or will not pay in full.

Most Artist collect half of money in advance and the other 50% right before coming on stage.

Over the years there have been some bad promoters who have no contract or just call a artist name to sell tickets.

Yes you have the artists who don't honor their contract and sqweeze has done his share of very good promotion so I can understand his fustration butsome a these promoters are even worst than the artists.
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Working...
          X