X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TAD on corruption

Posted: 2008-12-03 08:49:35
    Live Regular updates on Power 106

The Tax Administration Department has disclosed that 11 of its employees have been charged for corruption since the start of the year.

The employees are from the Inland Revenue Department (IRD), Customs and Stamp Duty and the Transfer Tax division of the Taxpayer Audit and Assessment Department.

The tax administration says it has taken strong action against internal breaches as it moves to rid its system of corrupted employees.

It says it is taking a zero-tolerance approach against to corruption and will continue to bring any charges for any breaches by it employees before the courts.

The employees are facing charges ranging from falsification of accounts, conspiracy to deceive, breach of the Corruption Prevention Act, and cheating the public revenue.

The most recent cases involved five employees of the IRD who have been charged for conspiracy to defraud.

They are Andrew Davis, Latoya Scarlett Samuels, Janice Henry, Marie Yond and Tamara Walsh who were all cashiers at the IRD.

They were arrested and charged following investigations into irregularities regarding motor vehicle licensing fees.

The department says between January 2006 and December 2007, in separate instances, the cashiers used their position to manipulate motor vehicle licence fees transactions.

The cases are set for mention in the Half-Way Tree Criminal Court on January 16, next year.

http://go-jamaica.com/news/read_article.php?id=5018
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Lazie: I'll shout it again - CORRUPTION ABOUNDS...AND KNOWS NEITHER PNP, JLP or 'NO P'!
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Is there a country that is more corrupt than Jamaica? Kenya is giving us a good run for our money.

Corruption charges for Kenya MPs

President Kibaki's government has done little to curb graft, critics say

Kenya's anti-corruption watchdog is suing seven current and former members of parliament for taking illegal allowances worth $250,000 (£166,000).
      Information Minister Samuel Poghisio has denied taking 2.8m shillings ($35,000, £23,000) in 2006 and 2007.
      Similar allegations have been filed against the assistant defence minister and five former members of parliament.
      Critics say President Mwai Kibaki's government has done little to stamp out graft in east Africa's largest economy.
      "[Mr Poghisio] made improper use of his duties, status and power for personal gain or benefit," says the suit filed by the Kenya Anti Corruption Commission.
      The benefit was "purportedly as an allowance for 'parliamentary service office holders', an allowance unknown to the law," it adds.
      Mr Poghisio became a minister earlier this year, when Kenya's coalition government was formed amid post-election violence.
      But he said he had not claimed the money, and had not committed any crime.
      "I am not in any way associated with fraud or corruption, my record on public life is very clear," he told the BBC's Focus on Africa programme.
      "I know that all the newspapers today have said that we're charged with false mileage claims, a totally different kind of offence than the one that is being claimed to me in court.
      "So I believe there is a sinister motive in all this publicity and I just need to assure friends and allies that I am above all that... I'm not committing any crime."
      Abuse of office
      Papers lodged at Nairobi's Chief Magistrate's Court also said assistant defence minister David Musila took 5.6 million shillings in the same way, the highest of all the payments.
      Another five former MPs - Peter Oloo Aringo, Joseph Kamotho, Daniel Khamasi, Justin Muturi and David Ethuro - took a total of 11.9 million shillings from public coffers.
      The KACC says the men received the allowances with the full knowledge that they were illegal. It claims they improperly used their offices and wrongfully acquired public property.
      None of the defendants were available to respond to the charges.
      Opinion polls show that Kenyans view most of their politicians as unscrupulous.
      But MPs often argue that they are under enormous pressure to help constituents with payments ranging from school fees to medicines.
      A week ago, Kenyan MPs infuriated the public by blocking a move to make them pay taxes on their salaries, which are already among the highest for parliamentarians anywhere in the world.
      Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

yes but under the PNP you were asking for PROOOOFFFFF.

There is corruption under the PNP but you fail to see it.

Yes there is corruption but we must not be quick to defend the corrupted officals.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Partisan Karl, the PNP did little to reign in corruption during their tenure. What a gwaan now is just the tip of the iceberg. Karl should be a TEAM player and cheer when corruption is exposed.
          Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
            yes but under the PNP you were asking for PROOOOFFFFF.

There is corruption under the PNP but you fail to see it.

Yes there is corruption but we must not be quick to defend the corrupted officals.
            Bwoy? Why is it your memory is so selectively wrong when it comes to things PNP?

Wasn't it during a time of PNP rule that ths site was created? Wasn't it yeeeears ago I started to speak of CORRUPTION ABOUNDS?!

..and I do not have to ask about corruption being wide-spread - I worked as a teacher and saw it in maintenance of schools and construction of schools. I was a printer and saw it at the Government printing office?
            I had friends in the automotive trade...worked at a credit union...had many a session at the "elbow raising places" and listened in on deals being cut...

Was football fanatic and was privy to 'owners of clubs' running their operations without one little tweeny effort of record keeping such that was sums of money disappeared into their pockets...

...even had acquaintance killed and friend shot three times in his back for unfortunately 'stopping to have a chat'...becasue the acquaintance was thought to have not 'let off' enough from a supposedly political derived contract. Killed...shot up at the site along Washington Boulevard...

...and I worked for a large comglomorate that was able to slip by the 'taxman' as it used the informal commercial importers who used their 'contacts' under invoice and under pay import and other duties and fees.

Was stopped by cops who demanded a 'let off'...to prevent the inconvenience of a court appearance or a fine.

Got my General PPV via my contacts!

I know what I am talking about...corruption abounds!
            "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Hortical View Post
              Partisan Karl, the PNP did little to reign in corruption during their tenure. What a gwaan now is just the tip of the iceberg. Karl should be a TEAM player and cheer when corruption is exposed.
              ...and the current JLP? ...and JLP regimes before that?
              You have forgotton the greatest corruption of all...the introduction of the very first "garrison"? Tivoli?

Comment

well if you know that why are you so defensive when PNP corruption is found???

You know it abound yet you alway find a way fi defend the PNP in their corrupted act.
                • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Is that the biggest corruption of all?

A man create 1 and the people who should know better went and create 9 and you only see the first one as the greatest evil of all?

Comment

"The Politics of Crime".

Just read Smith's piece below. Extremely poignant!!!

I think they should just leave those employees alone....

The Jamaican Tax Administration Department should go after the real crooks of the system. They are the folks who set the corrupt standards for those bottom-feeders listed in the article above. A %age of the stolen money collected by the cashiers trickle down to the real crooks.

I am going to list ALL the corrupt politicians SHORTLY!!!
                    The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Working...
                    X