X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Editorials: The JUTC needs revamping

Editorials: The JUTC needs revamping

Wednesday, December 03, 2008
    The latest revelations of conflict of interest regarding contracts awarded by the Jamaica Urban Transit Company (JUTC) during the tenure of the late chairman, Mr Douglas Chambers, have driven another nail in the coffin of the state-run bus company.

Complete Story ...
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Like Air Jamaica this is another quasi-government entity. I wonder if Lazie and Assasin will continue along a consistent path and demand its closing?
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
      Like Air Jamaica this is another quasi-government entity. I wonder if Lazie and Assasin will continue along a consistent path and demand its closing?
      I did say to close the JUTC, but I think it was Mosiah that indicated that a bus service was needed, and thinking about it, it made sense. So, I've backed away from that. However, I do think it needs to be operated more efficiently(unlike you). The routes they've given out to other entities need to be taken back. If the service can become reliable, then more people could be "forced" to take mass transit.
      "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

I shall repeat it - we must have a state-run bus service and be prepared to subsidise it, not at all costs, but it's going to be very difficult to make it turn a profit. In the meantime, the govt. must get serious about the illegal taxis and buses that rum amok thru Kingston and Jamaica. I couldn't care less if they too need to eat a food.

The JUTC can be more efficient and attractive as an alternative but wi not getting it right.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
          I shall repeat it - we must have a state-run bus service and be prepared to subsidise it, not at all costs, but it's going to be very difficult to make it turn a profit. In the meantime, the govt. must get serious about the illegal taxis and buses that rum amok thru Kingston and Jamaica. I couldn't care less if they too need to eat a food.

The JUTC can be more efficient and attractive as an alternative but wi not getting it right.
          Damn! Because yuh right pon dis one yuh haffi echo it? hehehe .... fully agree wid this boss.
          "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Did I say "rum amok"? heh heh! Freudian slip! Dem drive like dem drunk fi true!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

I have said this before and will say it again. Kingston don't deserver more than Mini buses and taxis.

They are running these buses at the expense at the rest of the country. If it was paid for by KSAC then it would be ok.

We are only going in circle, but these nice buses, it is not effeciently run and pile up losses, ductors them tief the money, bad man nuh pay and the workers take all kind of leave and parts at the expense of the tax payers.

The passengers refuse to take the buses and take illegal taxi then complain that bout the buses and the illegal taxis. You can't create order when the people don't want it.

Sad to be speaking the truth but it is the truth, I would rather pay for a school bus service for the kids and than the JUTC.

What are you saying? It is the government duty to dump money into these entity?

If t hey can't at leastrun within a 30% margin of loss then they need to sell, close or cut.
              • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                I have said this before and will say it again. Kingston don't deserver more than Mini buses and taxis.

They are running these buses at the expense at the rest of the country. If it was paid for by KSAC then it would be ok.

We are only going in circle, but these nice buses, it is not effeciently run and pile up losses, ductors them tief the money, bad man nuh pay and the workers take all kind of leave and parts at the expense of the tax payers.

The passengers refuse to take the buses and take illegal taxi then complain that bout the buses and the illegal taxis. You can't create order when the people don't want it.

Sad to be speaking the truth but it is the truth, I would rather pay for a school bus service for the kids and than the JUTC.

If t hey can't at leastrun within a 30% margin of loss then they need to sell, close or cut.
                Well, there are plans to revive the one in Mobay (That is really needed) and other major towns. Tek a step back Sass. If these can operate in an efficient manner, then the country could reduce their oil imports by having people parking their cars at certain spots instead of having traffic congestion in major towns.

Comment

"efficient manner"

That is key word. How long has they been talking? Phillips, Pickersgill and now Henry.

How can you be efficient when the route full up with illegal taxis not paying any revenues? Some of these illegal taxis owned by dons and police. Have they stop the conductors from stealing? the gas and parts racket? etc.

A plan is just that Lazy a plan. We need to see some results. What service someone in Portland who never go to Kingston and never use those buses get? What the sense using tax payers money to run the buses when tax payers paying for the buses?

We have to be realistic and Jamaicans have to be more responsible.
                  • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

"efficient manner"

That is key word. How long has they been talking? Phillips, Pickersgill and now Henry.

How can you be efficient when the route full up with illegal taxis not paying any revenues? Some of these illegal taxis owned by dons and police. Have they stop the conductors from stealing? the gas and parts racket? etc.

A plan is just that Lazy a plan. We need to see some results. What service someone in Portland who never go to Kingston and never use those buses get? What the sense using tax payers money to run the buses when tax payers paying for the buses?

We have to be realistic and Jamaicans have to be more responsible.
                    Suh if yuh don't have a plan how yuh going to proceed? Tink before yuh talk nuh? When the price for a barrel of oil was brushing U$150 a few months ago what did people in first world countries do? Among other things, more people started taking mass transit. That reduced the demand well yuh get the picture.

People must be willing fi tek a step back and change dem position (flip flop as Don1 call it). The fact is the oil bill is being paid by the taxpayers ...even those who nah ride bike much less drive hummah. The same way other countries can use mass transit to move around citizens and at the same time reduce the traffic pile up and the high gas bill, why can't we?

A plan is a plan .... Mobay Metro Bus Service Being Expanded read article at http://www.jis.gov.jm/parliament/htm...G_EXPANDED.asp.

Not certain how much they've been able to do since the economic crisis.

Comment

many of the oil burning countries like the US have done nothing to affect the price of oil execpt the recession. The have not implemented many worthwile polices to help.

Lazie if the government have money fi waste then waste it on education, healthcare, and worthwhile projects. Government can't just provide feeding tree.

The bus system in Mobay will not work either. do you realise there was a reason it failed badly? Mobay culture is to catch the nearest taxi to take you to your gate. The only bus system that was still in place was the bus Halfmoon use to send for their workers and it was free.

Let the hotels subsidies the bus system and I will support it but if it is coming from strickly government coffers then hell no because it is going to end up been a drain and not just regular losses but 100s of million.

How many millions can the government continue to lose if we if we serious about paying back our debts?

Comment

Bwaaaayyyyyyyyyyyy?

...and I will give you the doubt on this little piece - You meant an atmosphere within which the mini-buses and taxis are always safe!

...but the idea that Kingston needs only minibuses and taxis? Bwaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyy

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
                          I did say to close the JUTC, but I think it was Mosiah that indicated that a bus service was needed, and thinking about it, it made sense. So, I've backed away from that. However, I do think it needs to be operated more efficiently(unlike you). The routes they've given out to other entities need to be taken back. If the service can become reliable, then more people could be "forced" to take mass transit.
                          ..and when have I never called for efficiency?
                          Cho man!

Comment

many of the oil burning countries like the US have done nothing to affect the price of oil execpt the recession. The have not implemented many worthwile polices to help.

Lazie if the government have money fi waste then waste it on education, healthcare, and worthwhile projects. Government can't just provide feeding tree.

The bus system in Mobay will not work either. do you realise there was a reason it failed badly? Mobay culture is to catch the nearest taxi to take you to your gate. The only bus system that was still in place was the bus Halfmoon use to send for their workers and it was free.

Let the hotels subsidies the bus system and I will support it but if it is coming from strickly government coffers then hell no because it is going to end up been a drain and not just regular losses but 100s of million.

How many millions can the government continue to lose if we if we serious about paying back our debts?
                            Yuh remind me of a pastor ... anytime his sermon naah work him have a punch line. "You know how I know he lives? Because he woke me up this morning!"

Now anytime you want to mek a righteous statement yuh draw fi the forum punchline bout spending pon healthcare and education etc. It may work with the others on the forum ... I simply laugh at it.

"many of the oil burning countries like the US have done nothing to affect the price of oil execpt the recession."

Really? Maybe you not getting good news down south. I've heard figures quoted on the news as well as on CNBC comparing the gas consumption for a period this year compared to last year and there was a drastic reduction. Suh yuh statement is bull.

Secondly, there is a park and ride spot that I pass in the mornings and lately it full. NJ Transit and the MTA all announced increase passengers. Such positions should be taken by KArl.

Everybody want hotels to do this and that? Unuh want hoteliers fi provide housing now unuh want dem fi provide public transport? At times me affi wonder what unuh drinking tuh rahtid.

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
                              ..and when have I never called for efficiency?
                              Cho man!
                              When the review was done and the JUTC and it was discovered it was overstaffed, which clown on the forum objected when they were being sent home?

Comment

Working...
                              X