• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 79% of J'can men not screened for prostate cancer

79% of J'can men not screened for prostate cancer
    Taneisha Lewis
    Thursday, November 27, 2008

THE majority of Jamaican men are not doing the necessary screening to safeguard against prostate cancer even though the country has the highest rate of that disease in the Caribbean, according to the 2007/8 Jamaica Health and Lifestyle Survey II released Tuesday.

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/...ATE_CANCER.asp
    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

The obsession with certain behaviors might be contributing to this lack of screening.
    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

is this a bad thing.

How many people prostate Cancer ever kill?

It is more likely to die of other causes more than that cancer. The treatment is often worse than thge disease.

Comment

I know of two middle-aged Ja men who died of prostate cancer in the last few years. If we are not getting our prostates checked, then we are neglecting our health.

Comment

I guess it's always better to have your prostate removed and suffer from ED for the rest of your life than bending over for a couple seconds.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

There is also another test which does not require the bending over. It is done via the blood with a test known as the PSA test. I think that stands for prostate specific anogens. They monitor the levels in the blood similar to how they can do for sugar or cholesterol and give you feedback.

Willi said how many people die from the disease. I remember Michael Manley was one who suffered from it. I also have a couple uncles who died as a result of the darn thing.
            "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

True, but many people don't know about that. The other thing I understand is the two methods need to be done for a more accurate diagnosis.

PSA levels alone do not give doctors enough information to distinguish between benign prostate conditions and cancer. However, the doctor will take the result of the PSA test into account when deciding whether to check further for signs of prostate cancer.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Know of a few friends who are no longer here...and two Miconians friends who are still here (Caught it early. treated and they say doing well - both early 60s! ..both very young men! Incidentally both live in Canada).
                "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Mi wuk inna dis, so unno can gwaan talk.

A word from the wise is sufficient!

Mi dun talk.

Comment

What did they ACTUALLY die of?

Typically, prostate cancer would take more than 20 years to kill.

In any case, diet is the better route to go.

Comment

I strongly disagree. I know of folks who died much much faster than the 20 years you mention. Coworkers of mine, several, have died of this illness. In each case they were much younger than the age that Karl mentioned in his post.

The PSA test by itself is not good enough. Also, even if you do not have cancer, there are other prostate issues such as benign enlargement which cause serious problems. As much as I dislike the other test that most men are afraid of, my female doctor is more than happy to oblige me so that my male urologist doesnt have to argue with me about it. According to her, most black males do not like the digital assessment and so, many of them pay the consequences.
                      "Jah Jah see dem a come, but I & I a Conqueror!"

Comment

I work in Urology now....

Comment

My female doc puts me thru that annual torture session every year, and she insists that the exam is necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by Willi View Post
                            I work in Urology now....
                            I cannot believe you Willi. Most doctors and health professionals here are encouraging people to get tested as early detection is key to controling it before it gets out of hand.

I do both of the tests each year. I do not like them either, but I would rather be safe than sorry.
                            "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

I do not know what Willie is smoking tonight, but him wrong!

Comment

Working...
                              X