• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lessons from Ireland

What can we learn from the Irish?
    published: Thursday | November 20, 2008

"Never underestimate the impact of success on a people's psyche."
    It may seem banal, but it was perhaps the single most telling point made by Paul Haran on his visit to the island this week. A former senior civil servant involved in Ireland's successful social partnership, Mr Haran paid a visit to our island to discuss the Irish model. He was invited by the Caribbean Policy Research Institute (CaPRI), which is investigating whether a social partnership could be a feasible approach to lifting [COLOR=orange ! important][COLOR=orange ! important]Jamaica[/COLOR][/COLOR] out of its difficult times.
    I must say, I was always one of the sceptics who wondered what we could learn from the Irish. "Give me all that European money," I used to say, "and I can develop any country."
    But, it's not that simple. Development, we now know, is not a function of the amount of capital which gets ploughed into an economy. Besides, I was always willing to admit there was a curious resonance to the Irish story. Whenever I heard Jamaican defeatists who lamented that ours was a backward country because the people were lazy, indisciplined and culturally resistant to progress, I thought of what was said about the Irish in my childhood. Switch the names, but the narrative was from the same book.
    Paul Haran impressed his audiences this week when he described the turning point. It came not with accession to the [COLOR=orange ! important][COLOR=orange ! important]European [COLOR=orange ! important]Union[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR], but when the Irish - as he put it - finally began to take responsibility for their lot. After generations of blaming the English for colonialism, oppression, exploitation and racism, the Irish came to accept that they were poor because they had resigned themselves to it. Three generations after their independence, they were still mismanaging their economy, then satisfying themselves that it was not their fault.
    Destructive belief
    Implicit in that argument, he says, was a destructive belief: By saying they could do no better, the Irish had swallowed the worst stereotypes of themselves that the English had invented. That remark brought back a [COLOR=orange ! important][COLOR=orange ! important]wave[/COLOR][/COLOR] of childhood memories for me: I recalled all the [COLOR=orange ! important][COLOR=orange ! important]jokes[/COLOR][/COLOR] my family in England used to circulate about Irish people when I was young - jokes I could never quite understand, but which I was sure were unkind.
    Self-confidence
    But, they were distant memories, and it then struck me: I never hear those jokes anymore in the pubs and streets of London, or anywhere else in [COLOR=orange ! important][COLOR=orange ! important]England[/COLOR][/COLOR] for that matter. When the Irish came to respect themselves - more important, when they gave themselves convincing reasons for that self-respect - the dismissal of others disappeared.
    Driving that change, he maintains, was a growing self-confidence that emerged in the 1980s, when cultural exports made the Irish realise they could excel. In a telling remark, Mr Haran pointed out that the effect on the Irish psyche was similar to what Jamaican Olympians must have had on the psyche here.
    What of my dismissal that the Irish had it easy because they got German money? It turns out European aid has added only three per cent to the country's gross domestic product. The real driver of change was not external largesse. What ended poverty and produced the 'Celtic tiger' of today was the internal Irish drive to tackle their problems - the public sector which rewarded inefficiency, the uncompetitive firms sheltered from competition, the tolerance of lawlessness.
    For fatalists, who say Jamaica has been stagnating so long, and we don't know any different, Paul Haran has a simple word: The Irish were messing up for much longer before they got their act right. We're still spring chickens in this game.
    It may not be our model, but the story sounds familiar.
    John Rapley is president of Caribbean Policy Research Institute(CaPRI), an independent think-tank affiliated to the University of the West Indies, Mona. Feedback may be sent to columns@gleanerjm.com.
    TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

"...indisciplined and culturally resistant..."

WOW!!!...that hurts!
    The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Originally posted by HL View Post
      "...indisciplined and culturally resistant..."

WOW!!!...that hurts!
      hush

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

Comment

Very telling article and it is a theme I have hearing more and more from economists who study the emerging economies of the developing world, both its success stories and its failures.

Foriegn aid it seems, is never sufficient to get a country on a sustainable path to economic growth. In fact the aid, though it may seem large, typically is minuscule compared to the real size of the economy even in the poorest of states.

Thanks for that one Don1.
        "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
          Very telling article and it is a theme I have hearing more and more from economists who study the emerging economies of the developing world, both its success stories and its failures.

Foriegn aid it seems, is never sufficient to get a country on a sustainable path to economic growth. In fact the aid, though it may seem large, typically is minuscule compared to the real size of the economy even in the poorest of states.

Thanks for that one Don1.

Yeah.. foreign investment is important... but how the various sectors of a country work together is much more important... that's the key that unlocks the door to development.

Comment

The first thing to examine
            in the Irish model; do they have a three hundred year old slavery policy
            in their country. If no, then they are the wrong model to copy.

Comment

do a little research on the history of the irish...go further back than the great potato famine...

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

In short they had chattel
                slavery in Ireland. yes?

Comment

i see a moving target...ok 2 can play...hmmmm were black people enslaved in ireland

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Jawge View Post
                    In short they had chattel
                    slavery in Ireland. yes?

Who said anything about copying the Irish model?

The point is to develop A social contract.... not Irish... but Jamaican.

I've already posted my own suggested Jamaican model.

Comment

Working...
                    X