Billion dollar development at Caymanas unveiled

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Billion dollar development at Caymanas unveiled

The government has unveiled a 200 billion dollar development project which is to span the entire Caymanas Estate in St. Catherine.

This development could lead to ten thousand jobs over the next two years.

The announcement was made at Wednesday's Post Cabinet press briefing following controversy over the purchase of land at Ferry by the Urban Development Corporation (UDC).

Days after fending off a firestorm over the acquisition of the land at Ferry, the government has provided extensive details about plans to create the Caymanas Economic Zone which it says is tailor-made for long term mega development.

Investment and Commerce Minister Karl Samuda, says a consortium of Chinese investors as well as local private sector power brokers will be joining forces to develop the area.

"The project is to build units that will serve the ICT industry, warehousing, light manufacturing including agro-processing, it is intended that eventually the Tinson Pen will be relocated to a site adjacent to the economic complex," he said.

The Urban Development Corporation (UDC) has drafted the terms of reference and scopes of work for technical studies to be carried out on the project to cover traffic management, drainage, environmental impact, sewage, water distribution.

Mr. Samuda says the government hopes to stick with deadlines to roll out several phases of the project over the next two years.

He said he's optimistic about the financial viability of the project despite uncertainty and gloom in the global economy.

http://www.radiojamaica.com/content/view/13204/26/
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Caymanas development plans spark environmental concerns

Posted: 2008-11-13 08:41:47

Urban planners and environmentalists say Government's planned development for the Caymanas Economic Zone might not be such a good idea.

Government yesterday outlined a near $200 billion development plan for the area that could use up to 2,000 acres of mostly sugar cane lands for commercial, residential and recreational development.

But urban planner, Earl Bailey believes the plans will impact on the drainage patterns of Kingston and Spanish Town.

He says most of Duhaney River depends on the mangrove area to drain water from Kingston and St Andrew.

He says without a proper drainage mechanism wetlands that form a part of the corridor could be severely affected and flooding in the area could also worsen.

The Urban Development Corporation has already made plans for a traffic impact study, environmental impact assessment, sewerage and potable water studies and a drainage assessment to be done.

The government says requests for quotations have been sent out and consultants are to be contracted by November.

But environmentalist, Peter Espeut, says in addition to the environmental concerns, he believes the development will encourage a continuous sprawl from Kingston that could stretch all the way to Mandeville in Manchester.

According to him some buffer zones need to remain to separate the city from these rural towns.

He is even more concerned that the development will be using up land that has been zoned for agriculture.

http://go-jamaica.com/news/read_article.php?id=4704
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

everybody want to live a town
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
        But urban planner, Earl Bailey believes the plans will impact on the drainage patterns of Kingston and Spanish Town.

He says most of Duhaney River depends on the mangrove area to drain water from Kingston and St Andrew.

He says without a proper drainage mechanism wetlands that form a part of the corridor could be severely affected and flooding in the area could also worsen.
        Any fool knows that. Catastrophe awaits. Mi nah warn dem again.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
          Any fool knows that. Catastrophe awaits. Mi nah warn dem again.
          Suh there is no way of dealing with that problem Mosiah?

Comment

It nuh matter how much you warn it a go happen. Them have been doing it for years and you think any warning a go stop them?

Only thing them a do a build Kingston(that include Portmore) a little bigger.

It a go end up 2 million people a go live from Spanish Town to Stony and Bull Bay.
            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

If there is, that has to be dealt with first, and I haven't heard of any such plan. Of course, it could be a part of the big plans, but I have lived here long enough to doubt that very much.

Of course, I stand to eat a food offa dis, so I am not hoping that it can't work, but I would not want to be a part of something that is ill-conceived and potentially hazardous to the Jamaican people.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

"Of course, I stand to eat a food offa dis, so I am not hoping that it can't work, but I would not want to be a part of something that is ill-conceived and potentially hazardous to the Jamaican people."

Where were you for the last donkey years?

Driving by Annotto Bay recently and I was wondering how they have not been really affected by a hurricane as more than 40% of the houses are built on beach.

As you say I hope it is planned properly but knowing how we sellout all the time, saying it and doing it is another thing.

Comment

st jago de la vega and kingston is gonna meet......

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

are!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Great plan (or outline of a plan)...

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
                      The government has unveiled a 200 billion dollar development project which is to span the entire Caymanas Estate in St. Catherine.

This development could lead to ten thousand jobs over the next two years.

The announcement was made at Wednesday's Post Cabinet press briefing following controversy over the purchase of land at Ferry by the Urban Development Corporation (UDC).

Days after fending off a firestorm over the acquisition of the land at Ferry, the government has provided extensive details about plans to create the Caymanas Economic Zone which it says is tailor-made for long term mega development.

Investment and Commerce Minister Karl Samuda, says a consortium of Chinese investors as well as local private sector power brokers will be joining forces to develop the area.

"The project is to build units that will serve the ICT industry, warehousing, light manufacturing including agro-processing, it is intended that eventually the Tinson Pen will be relocated to a site adjacent to the economic complex," he said.

The Urban Development Corporation (UDC) has drafted the terms of reference and scopes of work for technical studies to be carried out on the project to cover traffic management, drainage, environmental impact, sewage, water distribution.

Mr. Samuda says the government hopes to stick with deadlines to roll out several phases of the project over the next two years.

He said he's optimistic about the financial viability of the project despite uncertainty and gloom in the global economy.

http://www.radiojamaica.com/content/view/13204/26/
                      ..... bad location.

This should be sited in the Highway 2000 corridor between Spain Town and
                      Old Harbour... maybe in the Bushy Park area:

1. Less pressure on overburdened Kingston Metro region
                      2. More available and undeveloped land
                      3. Room to use this proposed development as an anchor for a properly planned residential/commercial/light industrial integrated township.

Time for Jamaica's leadership to think outside the box.
                      TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

not according to joseph hill in 2 Sevens Clash....

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

true dat!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

dass rite bass...very poor subject/verb agreement...

kar-rekk him yes...
                            The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

yuh just cyaan get good job appicants dese days!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                              X