• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freddie McGregor - Hypocrite?

Freddie McGregor finds UWI lecturer off-key on crime
    published: Sunday | November 9, 2008

Denise Reid, Gleaner Writer

Gayle andMcGregor

Forty-year reggae veteran Freddie McGregor has taken issue with anthropologist and lecturer at the University of the West Indies, Dr Herbert Gayle, who has said that dancehall does not cause crime in Jamaica

"(Dancehall) is damaging our society and certainly has damaged the music industry," said McGregor. "When we glorify the things that present-day dancehall glorifies it cannot in any way be a good thing for our society, and that is the staunch reality that is facing us."

In a Gleaner article published on November 5, Gayle stated that while dancehall is a good trigger for violence it is not a root cause of crime. Gayle said that dancehall is simply social commentary and an indicator of what takes place in society.

not the root cause

"(Dancehall) is not a root cause (of violence). If you never had all of these problems before you couldn't have a situation where anything as simple as a song causes people to harm each other," Gayle said. He added that having had the impetus to harm others, people will use dancehall - like any other form of music - to trigger violence.

McGregor, though, is countering this argument, saying dancehall is not just damaging the society but the legacy that he and older artistes worked so hard to create.

McGregor argued that the music, industry has dwindled to nothing and pointed out that most of the popular artistes are even unable to tour.

derogatory comments

As an example, McGregor made mention of a distasteful article printed in a Bahamian newspaper, which made derogatory comments about past and present artistes.

Dancehall deejay Mavado was recently prevented from entering The Bahamas and The Nassau Guardian reported that in calling for dancehall artistes to be banned from the island, president of The Bahamas Christian Council, Reverend Patrick Paul, said "We do not need anything that remotely threatens to detract from the respect and honour we show to our Bahamian women."

Paul was also quoted as saying "In the late 1970s Bob Marley visited our country and The Bahamas has not been the same since."

lack of intellect

McGregor said that all the issues facing dancehall have been caused by a lack of intellect. Using the gay issue as an example, he explained that even though he does not support gays, he would never sing songs demanding that gays be killed and butchered.

McGregor said that older artistes left a vibrant dancehall culture for this generation, but lamented "What we are experiencing now that we call dancehall is a joke; it's violence, lewdness, all the things that we do not uphold.
    This coming from a man whose son has produced some of the most violent Dancehall songs in the past 3 years. Can you say hypocrite?

How is that hypocritical? Did he say he supported what his son was doing?

Bricktop, buy a dictionary!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post

Bricktop, buy a dictionary!
      How did I know you would be the simpleton to come with that argument?

'Di Genius' at helm of Big Ship
      published: Sunday | July 20, 2008

Krista Henry, Staff Reporter

The Sunday Gleaner continues with its series looking at influential studios in Jamaica. This week highlights the small, but powerful Big Ship.

Sometimes waking up to the raspy lisp of dancehall artiste and neighbour Elephant Man calling him to start work for the day is but one of many interesting experiences for producer 'Di Genius' at the Big Ship Recording Studio.

The home studio of reggae veteran Freddie McGregor, Big Ship studios in Havendale, St. Andrew, is now the base of his son and one of the most noted producers in reggae and dancehall music today, 18-year-old prodigy Stephen 'Di Genius' McGregor. Built in 1995, Big Ship almost never came into existence. It wouldn't have if it had depended solely on the first architect asked to design the studio in the small space allocated for it in the McGregor home. Yet, despite the temporary problems a small, yet colourful and high-tech studio was finally built when Stephen was but five years old.

It is the building process that Stephen still remembers as the beginning of the Big Ship. In the home studio Stephen strove to imitate songs heard on the radio, acquiring his self-taught knowledge of drums, guitars, keyboards, bass and violin. Since he began producing at age 12, Stephen McGregor has been in charge of his family's studio.

Great production

Some of the awards that work from the studio has won.

Big Ship Studios has put out numerous rhythms over the years. Among them are 'Cartoon', 'Red Bull and Guinness', '12 Gauge', 'Work out', 'Powercut', 'Tremor', 'Stick Up', 'After Dark', 'Dark Again', '2070s', 'Party', 'Darker Shadow', 'Shadow', 'Ghetto Whiskey', 'Chiney K', 'Daybreak' and 'Forever'. Big Ship is also responsible for singles such as Always On My Mind by Da'Ville, Overcome from Mavado, Bounty Killer's War Bridge, I'm Sorry by Laden and numerous others.

The youngest McGregor has worked with 'everybody' in the business, including regulars such as Elephant Man, Vybz Kartel, Aidonia, Sean Paul, Freddie McGregor and Big Ship artistes Laden and Stephen's brother Chino. Working extensively in a small space doesn't seem to bother the producer, who enjoys his home sound. "Every studio has a different sound; most bigger studios don't have the same sound as a small one. When I mix stuff here it sounds different from when I do mixes at other studios. I like how it sounds here," Stephen said.

The Sunday Gleaner was blown away by the huge sound emitting from the speakers as Stephen played an Aidonia song on his latest (and as yet unnamed) rhythm, to be released in the coming week. Stephen soon got absorbed in the music as he laughingly says to his friend "a well want that rhythm deh drop. Mi sound like a fan".

The talented youngster is obviously a fan of music seeing it as his future and having never wanted to do anything else for a living. Outside of the controls and the voicing room, Stephen has his own 'magic corner' containing a number of his instruments which he uses a lot, especially on one drop rhythms. Rarely renting the space to outsiders, a work day at the Big Ship runs from 9 a.m to 5 a.m, giving the producer few hours of sleep.

Mixing and recording

The name is announced proudly.

"During the day we do recordings, mixing, which is what I'm doing now. Most artistes just pop in most time. Ele is my neighbour, so him just run in more time," he says. The only person Stephen hopes to get to work with before its too late is Stevie Wonder, who he cites as his musical idol.

Known for unusual and intricate productions Stephen likes his music with variation. He tells The Sunday Gleaner, "I'm always trying to come with something different, to do something different in the music. I try to go in the opposite direction from everyone else."

Currently he is in the process of making the right connections to work with international acts. He plans to continue working on more singles, more rhythms and albums such as the upcoming one he's producing for Vybz Kartel. Tentatively entitled The Teacha Is Back, it will hopefully be released in October and features 18 exclusive tracks plus seven bonus tracks that have already been heard by the public.
      So let me get this straight, he doesn't support what his son is doing but he put's him in charge of his studio? Freddie's studio produces some of the most violent music in Dancehall yet he is not a hypocrite? Does he have no say in the operation of his own studio? Do you enjoy playing Don Curry to my Mike McCallum

Comment

What does that say? His son produces riddims. Are you saying that dancehall riddim now encourage people to kill, aduct and rape? Di riddim?!?!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

What does that say? His son produces riddims. Are you saying that dancehall riddim now encourage people to kill, aduct and rape? Di riddim?!?!
          Oh I see so he just builds the riddim and the DJ's magically appear on the track? Do you know what a producer is? Does he not have a say in who records on his track and the content of that recording? Does it change the fact that the violent music is being produced in Freddie's studio? And anedda body shot to di body while you try to defend the indefencible

Comment

Yuh nuh have no point, bredren.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Yuh nuh have no point, bredren.
              First it was Freddy don't condone what his son does now the argument switch to Freddy son not doing nuttin wrong. Could yuh mek up yuh mind please? HAHAHAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH KNOCKOUT
              Last edited by Bricktop; November 10, 2008, 01:10 PM.

Comment

You definitely correct about Freddie being a hypocrite. He is the one who fully supports what his son does and funds the operation.

The majority of songs talking about Chiney K, stages of evil, murder in broad daylight and all sorts come from that Studio.

Comment

What the hell are you talking about?

His father does not have a problem with his son is doing because his son is a riddim maker. How is that violent and dangerous?!?! Why can't his father speak out against those people who preach violence, even if done on top of his son's riddims?!?!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

His father does not have a problem with his son is doing because his son is a riddim maker. How is that violent and dangerous?!?! Why can't his father speak out against those people who preach violence, even if done on top of his son's riddims?!?!
                    You change yuh argument fast ehh?

Originally posted by Mosiah
                    So it seems you too had a problem with what his son is doing until yuh switched yuh argument. Also his son is not just a "riddim maker" he is a "producer". If you look at anyof the tracks he produced for the likes of Kartel or mavado you will see him credited along with the artists as a writer. Even if he did not write any of the lyrics the songs are being produced at Big Ship studios so for Freddie to be bunning a fire on present day Dancehall artists while he himself is contributing to the problem is extremely hypocritical. Dat's like me licking out against guns while I own a bullet making factory

Comment

I tend to follow conscious artists like Morgan Heritage, Gyptian etc instead of the Movados of the world. So you are saying that the Big Ship studio produces nuff tunes with violent lyrics?
                      Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Him son is the producer and decides what songs get released. You acting like the man make a riddim and just give to people. Is him studio putting out all the material. Him can easily say him nuh want that kind of song on him riddim or him not releasing a particular song.

Freddie is on point about the music, but he needs to stop contributing to the same problem he is talking about. If producers don't voice violent tunes they don't touch the road.

Comment

Originally posted by Hortical View Post
                          I tend to follow conscious artists like Morgan Heritage, Gyptian etc instead of the Movados of the world. So you are saying that the Big Ship studio produces nuff tunes with violent lyrics?
                          I am saying they produce the MAJORITY of the popular gun tunes that play in dancehall today.

Comment

You have to wonder why the reporter wouldn't ask him about that. At least it would give him a chance to explain how he justifies it.
                            "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Working...
                            X