X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Politicians split over death penalty issue

Some seeking party's, constituents' help with 'conscience' vote
    Sunday, November 09, 2008

WHEN Jamaican legislators cast conscience votes on the retention of the death penalty later this year, at least 21.25 per cent are expected to vote 'yea' while at least 16.25 per cent are likely to vote 'nay'.
    This is according to an informal Sunday Observer survey which canvassed 55 of the total 80 parliamentarians - 40 members of parliament (MPs) and 15 senators.
    A resolution calling for a conscience vote on the death penalty is soon to be put before the Jamaican Parliament.
    Of the 20 Jamaica Labour Party (JLP) MPs polled, eight said they supported the death penalty, six opposed it, three were undecided and three declined to comment.
    An equal number of People's National Party (PNP) MPs were polled. Five of them said they were in favour of the death penalty, five opposed, six were undecided and four declined to comment.
    Among the senators who participated, 10 represented government and five were from the Opposition. Only one from the government side supported capital punishment, compared with three from the opposition side. One from either side opposed and an equal number was undecided. Another seven from the government side declined comment.
    "I wasn't for the death penalty, but since the Ananda Dean incident, I am for it," said JLP MP for St Andrew North Central, Karl Samuda. He was making reference to the 11-year-old girl who was abducted and killed last month.
    Fellow party member James Robertson, who holds the seat for St Thomas Western, said: "As long as we have the requisite modern scientific tools, then yes. We must bring our labs and our police force up to the 2008 standards first. Until then, no, I don't support it."
    A conscience vote or free vote is a type of vote where legislators are each expected to vote according to their own personal conscience rather than according to official party lines. However, a number of the politicians we polled said they were either awaiting an official party position or consensus from their constituents before they took
    a decision.
    "I am still consulting with my constituents," said Roger Clarke (PNP), MP for Westmoreland Central.
    Colin ************an, who represents the constituency of St Catherine South Eastern, said: "I don't know where conscience comes in when you have a constituency to represent. What I can say is that the vast majority of my constituents are in support of it so as an MP I will have to represent the vast views. I don't know where conscience comes in."
    And party leader Portia Simpson Miller, who holds the St Andrew South Western seat, said: "I'm not indicating until the party takes a core position."
    Chapter 3 section 14 of the Jamaican Constitution addresses the issue of capital punishment and says "No person shall intentionally be deprived of his life save in execution of a sentence of a court in respect of a criminal offence of which he has been convicted". However, human rights activists argue that Jamaica's position is in contravention of International Law, citing for example, the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights, both of which affirm the right to life and to which Jamaica is a signatory.
    While in Opposition, the JLP articulated its intention to resume hanging - which was last performed in this country in 1988 - but since taking office last September, no such sentence has been handed down. Prime Minister Bruce Golding has indicated that a resolution calling for a conscience vote on the death penalty is soon to be put before the Jamaican Parliament. The motion, which was drafted by the Attorney General's Department is now ready for presentation to the House but it is not certain when it will be laid.
    "I don't want to be drawn into any conscience vote. The government should carry out the laws of the land," Opposition senator Mark Golding told the Sunday Observer.
    The debate over the death penalty as punishment for crime has heated up in recent weeks, with at least two ministers of religion deviating from the traditional conservative stance of the church and advocating for the resumption of hanging.

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/...LTY_ISSUE_.asp
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

A waste of the People's time and money. Doesn't Parliament have more urgent important work to do? Not to mention the Senate?

Comment

And party leader Portia Simpson Miller, who holds the St Andrew South Western seat, said: "I'm not indicating until the party takes a core position."

Is this a joke? She have an opinion on everything else
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

not a joke. They must decide if they want to keep the law or not. We excuse these politicians from their responsibility too much.

The current democratic revolution in the US started with Shiva woman in florida vote. The PNP accuse the JLP and the JLP accuse the PNP of not wanting the death penalty and like most Jamaicans they think it is going to curve crime. I don't think it will but get it out of the way as both sides have been talking through the side of their mouth on this issue.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Is the position of any politician on the death penalty going to have ANY impact on crime in Jamaica?? Why they don't get their well-paid heads together and get rid of the Dons. Maybe they should vote on Dons, drugs and illegal activities - what is their position on that?
          We Jamaicans get caught up with petty political positions while the rest of the world move on to development....leaving us seeking our moments of glory every four years on the backs of the next athletes who worked their asses off everday....while we argue about nonsense...the proberbial unending soap opera.
          Last edited by Exile; November 9, 2008, 10:53 AM.

Comment

Perception is everything and the VAST majority of Jamaicans believe it will. Here in America the Republicans have had success in bringing back hanging saying it will solve crime problem but they don't believe in gun laws(go figure).

I personally don't believe it will impact crime but even pastors and wide section of Jamaica believe it will. Hanging is the law of the land so if they don't want it then take it off the books. If they take it off and the people want it, it may reflect in the polls and that is what these politicans are afraid of so they run from the issue and blame each other.

Comment

Hanging is good in The US when it's black people in the jails. It has not solved crime. There are so many good examples of reducing crime (well not white collared ones) in the US - take NY, we could adopt. Zero tolerance at all levels and enforcement, cleaning up the rat's nests.
              The problem with crime is that Jamaicans (political and business) don't want it stopped, too many beneficiaries - but it is a double-edged sword as it will - and has - turned around and bit the very hand that is massaging it for their own benefit.

Comment

i can't debate with you about if hanging is good for solving crime as i don't believe it is very effective. it gets rid of a few creatures who stoof a 5% chance of coming back on the street but it is not nearly as effective as others.

The fact is however both JLP and PNP have been hiding under this for too long. As i sais percetion is everything and majority of Jamaicans believe it will and will not stop until it is dealt with one way or another.

Comment

That noose look like it should be around the necks of some of our parliamentarians.

The death penalty issue is a colossal waste of time. We average around 1500 murders each year in recent times. Of that amount, 30 to 40 are solved. Of that amount, only 3 or 4 of them are capital cases. So, of the 1500 murders, only 3 or 4 persons could be sent to the gallows. But it gets even better. Of the 3 or 4, 1 or 2 could win an appeal. Where does that leave us?

Massive waste of time! Let's figure out how to stop the guns from coming in. Let's improve our investigating abilities. So much more to do than waste time talking about something that could have us punishing 1 person every year, if wi lucky!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

the question to be asked is. Is hanging legal in Jamaica? If it is why is it not been carried out?

We make the politicans get away with things by just ignoring them or blame each other. It is iethier it is legal and carried out or they make it illegal. It make no sense having it legal but not conducting any and that is why it must be discussed especially when the Jamaican people support it.

Comment

Well, I guess that is why they are debating it, because there will be a vote on it later.

I am saying it is a waste of time even discussing it because it not helping anybody if dem enforce it or not.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

maybe true but both parties have it in the middle of their platform to win votes.

Time them stop been hypocrites.

Comment

True, dem fi spend time on more important issues, and the death penalty has shown not be a deterrent when it comes to crimes of murder. Impossible to execute somebody in Ja as well.
                          Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Working...
                          X