• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red rose for Gregory?

Cool Ruler rules with Brand New Me
    Richard Johnson, Observer staff reporter
    Friday, November 07, 2008

The 'Cool Ruler' is at his best on his latest project, Brand New Me, which features 15 tracks of vintage Gregory Isaacs.
    In order to fully appreciate the newest project by the 'Cool Ruler', Gregory Isaacs, you have to set the stage. A excellent sound system is highly recommended - playing good music on a poor system can really do the music an injustice. Company is recommended, but not absolutely necessary. Your preferred drink can only heighten the enjoyment. Finally, there must be that understanding that you are listening to a great Jamaican reggae musician whose artistry and musicianship is first class.
    At a time when some are debating whether or not they should be classified vintage acts or consistent year-to-year hitmakers, Brand New Me, Gregory Isaacs' latest CD is truly vintage stuff. Released on the Tads International Records label for producer Tads Dawkins, the 15-track release is nothing but Gregory at his vintage best. The slurs and vocal styling that this artiste is known for are all here and masterfully delivered. In listening to the album, one can readily imagine Isaacs on stage, hat cocked, skanking and delivering the tracks, while the ladies in the front row enjoy the performance, hugging themselves and rocking to the tune, and the rude boys deliver shots of approval.
    From the opening note it becomes clear this is no ordinary stuff, but rather great easy-listening lover's rock with a heavy drum and bass which gives the music a kick and ultimately that sound that Isaacs is famous for. The first track, Love Turns Catastrophe really sets the tone for the entire CD as of the 15 tracks more than two-thirds deal with love, either being in love, love lost, the need for love and of course, the situations that result when people fall in and out of love. We can't help but wonder which of the above applies to the Cool Ruler.
    Some of the noteworthy tracks include the second cut, a cover version of Fools Fall in Love, which is perfectly adapted to suit Isaacs' voice; and that reggae beat takes the groove to an even higher level. The opening bars of track # 6 - No Trust, sounds a lot like the Isaacs classic, Hard Drugs, however, as the track progresses it mellows out to a smoother sound and the lyrics deal with a very different subject matter. Six Months is another favourite, from the familiar rhythm to the smooth vocals, Isaacs takes it to another level and just sweetens the pot. The tune, Point of View is another one of those tracks that must be mentioned.
    The interesting musical arrangement on this one makes it a tune for those rainy nights. Subtle but effective horns punctuate this rhythm adding that dose of sensuality to the piece; add to that the haunting melodies of the females on backing vocals and the picture is complete.
    Brand New Me is a must-have for any true Isaacs fan. For those willing to venture into lover's rock for the first time this is a great point of departure. For the uninitiated, this is a study in the work, style and essence of the man, Gregory Isaacs.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.
Working...
X