How many of you here have ever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many of you here have ever

heard of DJ Kool Herc? The man said to be the originator of hip hop music?
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

He is pretty well known as the father of hip hop music. Became famous through his parties in the Bronx , using some of the DJ techniques he remembered in the early dancehalls in Jamaica.

I guess he is the reason a lot of people like to say hip-hop music originated from dancehall music, but dancehall music was not fully evolved when he started doing his thing. Its probably more accurate to say they have the same musical origins.
    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Well, met him at a symposium in our student center today. He referred to himself as the "forgotten one".
      "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
        Well, met him at a symposium in our student center today. He referred to himself as the "forgotten one".
        Sound like him jus waan get paid

Comment

Originally posted by Bricktop View Post
          Sound like him jus waan get paid
          Yeah .. got the same impression. Went there expecting to see him spinning, he was there to give a talk ... one other breddah was there at the time ...SHOUTING at his audience.

Comment

I see Rap music and hip-hop as different genres. I see Rap music's origins specifically coming from Jamaican Deejay music.
            Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Hip hop is more the overall culture, including the dress, dance, graffiti, etc of which rap music is a part.

But yes I would agree that aside from thier original ties through hip-hop/sound system beats, a lot of modern rap also has origins in Jamaican DJ music.
              "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

why not?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

yeah heard of him but never heard him.
                  • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

it funny cause a nuff a them nuh make nothing. Sugar Hill gang was one.

I hear that a former NY great just playing in basement in Atlanta area, at one stage he was on the radio all over NY.
                    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Working...
                    X