Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crime and violence - first, we take back the public spaces

Crime and violence - first, we take back the public spaces from criminals

I believe Minister Charles when, in presenting the bipartisan crime bills he said, "We have tried everything else.". But he does not speak for all of us. We are being butchered and the people we voted to Parliament have run out of ideas. I know there are new ideas outside their circle. The minister rends his garments at the rapes and murders, but matters are not severe enough to heed the Rev Miller's call to obey the law and start hanging - capital punishment by some tidy means - again. They say hanging will dehumanise our people. The evidence says we are there already. The minister continues, "We must take a chance to see whether this is going to work a short 12 months and we will examine whether mistakes have been made." Why not Rev Miller's option and take a chance with hanging, since in 12 months, another 2,000 innocent Jamaicans will be murdered? They prefer the murder of citizens rather than hanging one murderer. Obviously, this matter is bigger than Parliament. We need a referendum!

Complete Story ...
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Excellent letter. What I always wondered though, was, since hanging is considered to be de humanising, why can't the government employ the use of lethal injections? Forget about the electric chair in Jamaica. JPS will lock off the light during an execution.
    Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
      Why not Rev Miller's option and take a chance with hanging, since in 12 months, another 2,000 innocent Jamaicans will be murdered?
      many not innocent still...

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

I am all for capital punishment as a means of administering justice so sure go ahead and hang, inject or whatever.

There is not much evidence that it also results in a reduction of violent crime though, especially in a country like JA where so many of these crimes are unresolved.
        "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

What we need is to stop beating up our gums about hanging and try and apprehend these criminals. There is much more we can do in that regard.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

i take the view that if it as deterrent then that is good but the primary focus of capital punishment should be just that, punishment.

the only deterence i concerned about is THAT guy.....if he is hanged..he will never do it again.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
              What we need is to stop beating up our gums about hanging and try and apprehend these criminals. There is much more we can do in that regard.
              Precisely! Furthermore, how yuh ago hang who yuh cyaan ketch.
              "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

True. I also agree wtih Mosiah and Lazie that solving the crimes is a much more critical issue.

Damn, we are all in agreement! How boring!
                "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
                  Damn, we are all in agreement! How boring!
                  Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
                  - Langston Hughes

Comment

Working...
                  X