Obama camp plays the Palin card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obama camp plays the Palin card

McCain, though, isn’t the only one up with a new TV ad. The Obama camp has unveiled a new one that uses McCain’s past quotes about his lack of understanding on economic issues. And it also appears to be the first Obama ad that brings up McCain’s choice of Palin as his running mate. The script: “John McCain in his own words ‘I’m going to be honest: I know a lot less about economics than I do about military and foreign policy issues. I still need to be educated.’ Wall Street Journal, 11/26/05. ‘The issue of economics is not something I’ve understood as well as I should.’ Boston Globe Political Intelligence, 12/18/07. ‘I might have to rely on a vice president that I select” for expertise on economic issues.’ GOP Debate, 11/28/07.His choice? (Shows a clip of Palin winking.) On November 4th, You Get to Make Yours.” Now if history is any guide, attack ads on running mates usually don't work. But then again, Palin's no ordinary running mate.

Check it:

http://my.barackobama.com/page/content/his-choice_ad/

ummm .... wouldn't it have been more effective if the sound bites were used?
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Obama has been criticized for lagging in the sound-bite battle, but that may be a matter of choice. He seems more intent on creating a framework for his candidacy than scoring points and is sometimes telling voters what they may not be eager to hear.

Thursday night he noted that “it is absolutely critical for us to recognize that there are going to be responsibilities on the part of African-Americans and other groups to take personal responsibility to rise up out of the problems that we face.”

On AIDS, he said “one of the things we’ve got to overcome is a stigma that still exists in our communities. We don’t talk about this. We don’t talk about it in the schools. Sometimes we don’t talk about it in the churches. It has been an aspect of sometimes homophobia that we don’t address this issue as clearly as it needs to be.

“(A)ll the issues we talk about--the problems of poverty, lack of health care, lack of educational opportunity--are all interconnected. And to some degree, the African-American community is weakened. It has a disease to its immune system. When we are impoverished, when people don’t have jobs, they are more likely to be afflicted not just with AIDS but with substance abuse problems, with guns in the streets. And so it is important for us to look at the whole body here...”

That kind of talk will not draw applause from African-American audiences any more than some of Obama’s analyses of problems like health care are getting from others.

But for the longer haul, cheers may be beside the point. At the moment, supporters are voting with their money--258,000 of them in the past quarter giving $32.5 million. Unlike Clinton, Obama has a long way to go in getting Americans to know him. So far, many of them like what they see and hear.

Comment

dat was a WICKED last lick!!!!

obama has run a well thought out and masterful campaign ..... and i think that is a good indication of how he would handle the presidency....time to insert some intelligence into that job...

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

"The era of sound bites and fat cats may be coming to a close."

...It's what many of us have been talking about--that the media (especially tv and the limiting use of soundbites) may actually evolve (eventually) as a result of this election cycle. In particular, I think if Obama wins the presidency, the media will have to adapt: his presence and style will necessitate it and his press corps will facilitate it. ...I'm hopeful this (soundbites dominating the tv stories and also tv-as-we-know-it dominating viewers' political knowledge) will change to some extent.

source:http://digg.com/2008_us_elections/Ad...nging_Politics

Comment

It will not make a difference for partisans. Undecideds decisions will be based on the person at the top of the ticket.
            Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

this IS about the person on the top of the ticket....he knows nothing on economics and will rely on his VP....

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Working...
              X