Obama breaks promise on campaign finance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obama breaks promise on campaign finance

CNN) -- You may have heard that Wednesday night Barack Obama will be on five different TV networks speaking directly to the American people.
    He bought 30 minutes of airtime from the different networks, a very expensive purchase. But hey, he can afford it. Barack Obama is loaded, way more loaded than John McCain, way more loaded than any presidential candidate has ever been at this stage of the campaign.
    Just to throw a number out: He has raised well over $600 million since the start of his campaign, close to what George Bush and John Kerry raised combined in 2004.
    Without question, Obama has set the bar at new height with a truly staggering sum of cash. And that is why as we approach this November, it is worth reminding ourselves what Barack Obama said last November. Watch Campbell Brown on Obama's campaign financing »
    One year ago, he made a promise. He pledged to accept public financing and to work with the Republican nominee to ensure that they both operated within those limits.
    Then it became clear to Sen. Obama and his campaign that he was going to be able to raise on his own far more cash than he would get with public financing. So Obama went back on his word.
    He broke his promise and he explained it by arguing that the system is broken and that Republicans know how to work the system to their advantage. He argued he would need all that cash to fight the ruthless attacks of 527s, those independent groups like the Swift Boat Veterans. It's funny though, those attacks never really materialized.iReport.com:

The Washington Post pointed out recently that the bad economy has meant a cash shortage among the 527s and that this election year they have been far less influential.
    The courageous among Obama's own supporters concede this decision was really made for one reason, simply because it was to Obama's financial advantage.
    On this issue today, former Sen. Bob Kerrey of Nebraska, an Obama supporter, writes in The New York Post, "a hypocrite is a person who puts on a false appearance of virtue -- who acts in contradiction to his or her stated beliefs or feelings. And that, it seems to me, is what we are doing now."r this last week, Sen. Obama will be rolling in dough. His commercials, his get-out-the-vote effort will, as the pundits have said, dwarf the McCain campaign's final push. But in fairness, you have to admit, he is getting there in part on a broken promise.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/10/...ama/index.html
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

As biased as he may be .... Keith Olberman keeps it real. Maybe Campbell Brown need fi suspend her show and watch Keith fi a change.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zy5iykNo1eI
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Campbell-Brown last evening...
      She shocked the hell out of me as she has been tearing McCain to bits for months.

...as to Sarah Palin...she has torned her to bits, thrown the bits on the floor and stomped them into a pulp!

Aside: She also announced she was pregnant!
      Last edited by Karl; October 29, 2008, 10:02 AM.
      "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
        As biased as he may be .... Keith Olberman keeps it real. Maybe Campbell Brown need fi suspend her show and watch Keith fi a change.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zy5iykNo1eI
        Keith Oberman?
        You are past joking!
        "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
          Keith Oberman?
          You are past joking!
          Joking? Sorry ... I've never considered myself a comedian. What yuh point.

Comment

Lazie Olberman is not a serious journalist. He is more biased than anybody on Fox except Hannity.

Quote from Obama:

" have been a long-time advocate for public financing of campaigns combined with free television and radio time as a way to reduce the influence of moneyed special interests.... My plan requires both major party candidates to agree on a fundraising truce, return excess money from donors, and stay within the public financing system for the general election....If I am the Democratic nominee, I will aggressively pursue an agreement with the Republican nominee to preserve a publicly financed general election."

Obama clearly did not seriously try to get an agreement with McCain on public financing and in that sense he went back on his word. They never even met face to face to discuss the issue.
            "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Definitely haven't been impressed with Olberman since his attempt to enter serious journalism from his comedy role as a sportscenter anchor.

Comment

i have been in BVI for the past 2 months....just suh unnuh know....

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

if he made the promise then it looks bad ... from a tactical perspective why hamper yourself if you think you could do better?

as we have seen campaign finances have made a difference so was it a bad call?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
                    Lazie Olbernam is not a serious journalist. He is more biased than anybody on Fox except Hannity.

Quote from Obama:

" have been a long-time advocate for public financing of campaigns combined with free television and radio time as a way to reduce the influence of moneyed special interests.... My plan requires both major party candidates to agree on a fundraising truce, return excess money from donors, and stay within the public financing system for the general election....If I am the Democratic nominee, I will aggressively pursue an agreement with the Republican nominee to preserve a publicly financed general election."

Obama clearly did not seriously try to get an agreement with McCain on public financing and in that sense he went back on his word. They never even met face to face to discuss the issue.
                    There is that "b" word again. I laff and refer to him as being biased time and again, but then I have to back track. If it is facts being presented, it cannot be biased ... its the truth.

Oblermann's program is a counter to the Hannitys and the OReillys .. I see nothing wrong with that.

As he pointed out in the piece, isn't it strange that its after Obama said he wasn't going to use "public" financing, McCain decided he wanted to do it?

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
                      i have been in BVI for the past 2 months....just suh unnuh know....
                      OK! Now you have left us wondering...when did you do the fun thing...err damage?

Comment

if he made the promise then it looks bad ... from a tactical perspective why hamper yourself if you think you could do better?

Thats it ... did he make such a promise? His yes answer was conditional. McCain wasn't interested, suh Obama simply move along.

If I see an article or a video where he made such a promise, then I will certainly backtrack ... or is it flip flop?

Comment

gweh...mi have alibi...btw i will be that side this weekend ... for a few days.

Comment

Confused again?

...anyway - If we found ourselves in Obama's shoe...who among us would not (find a way to sensibly...???) go back on such a position?

mmmm???
                            Think I would tell Mc... use all the money you can!

Comment

only about whether he made the promise or not. clearly it was a good move not to go for federal financing....

Comment

Working...
                              X