islandman, karl, yuttie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• islandman, karl, yuttie

3 different perspectives...your comments please...

http://www.time.com/time/nation/arti...3025-1,00.html

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Interesting read. I agree with most of it, Obama is like the striker or basketball player with ice in his veins when its time to shoot.

I do think he was lucky to have a number of things go his way and that has a lot to do with why he has a better than even chance of winning, but as they say fortune favours the brave.

I heard a Republican on the radio yesteday who was in the process of dealing with the reality that Obama will probably win. His comments were that if Obama runs his administration with the efficiency that he ran his campaign, how bad could it really be?
    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

One major part of his success that was not mentioned in the article (I don't think) has been his community organizer skills, taken and applied to the internet generation.

This is a blog entry from a very popular conservative website, townhall.com )on this. They throw a few ACORN jabs in but their respect for his abilities are clear.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Why 'Community Organizer' Isn't Funny

Posted by: Matt Lewis at 9:45 AM

We've all gotten a good laugh out of the fact that Barack Obama was a "community organizer," but the truth is that his training, as such, has -- in my estimation -- prepared him to run a tremendously effective grassroots campaign.

In 1992, as a community organizer, Barack Obama ran a highly-successful voter registration effort for Project VOTE (an ACORN affiliate). His effort resulted in registering more than 150,000 new voters to oust two-term Senator Alan Dixon in the March Democratic primary. Dixon was replaced by Carol Moseley Braun. Dixon's sin, of course, was in voting to confirm Clarence Thomas. This was a payback for apostacy -- but it also demonstrated Obama's effectiveness as a grassroots organizer. (I don't have to tell you how difficult it is to oust a sitting U.S. Senator in a Democratic Primary)...

So as we watch voter registration numbers -- and turn-out -- change in numerous states (even Georgia), it is clear that Obama's training as a community organizer made him a firm believer in the importance of voter registration and the ground-game.

This, of course, is not to say that voter fraud is not being attempted -- it is. At the very least, ACORN is attempting to create chaos by overwhelming secretaries of state -- as well as the nice 78-year-old lady who volunteers to work the polls every year on Election Day...

But it is clear that Obama's legitimate voter registration efforts are very real and impressive -- and are most likely a result of his firm belief in their efficacy, based on his success as a community organizer who helped oust a sitting U.S. Senator in Illinios.

Some of the votes have already been cast (early voting or same-day registration). But for others, the question will be to see how many of the voters Obama's team registered actually show up at the polls on Election Day. Rest assured, they will have a concerted effort to make sure these folks turn-out...
      "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

this is what a saw in him MANY MANY months ago. besides he exhibits one of my mantras which in a way is linked to something written by that racist sir arthur conan doyle and attributed to sherlock holmes, along the lines of when you have examined all the evidence and discounted all the impossibilities, what remains, no matter how improbable...must be the truth....

my maxim......once you have informed yourself sufficiently....trust your instincts thereafter

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

true true....PLUS obama is a very intelligent and organised person and mccain is not!

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
            3 different perspectives...your comments please...

http://www.time.com/time/nation/arti...3025-1,00.html
            First the article on the athletes "coming home" and now this? What's with you people?

Yup! Another very good post!
            Excellent!

He will have to return, full force, to the inspiration business. The public will have to be mobilized to face the fearsome new economic realities. He will also have to deliver bad news, to transform crises into "teachable moments." He will have to effect a major change in our political life: to get the public and the media to think about long-term solutions rather than short-term balms. Obama has given some strong indications that he will be able to do this, having remained levelheaded through a season of political insanity. His has been a remarkable campaign, as smoothly run as any I've seen in nine presidential cycles. Even more remarkable, Obama has made race — that perennial, gaping American wound — an afterthought. He has done this by introducing a quality to American politics that we haven't seen in quite some time: maturity. He is undoubtedly as ego-driven as everyone else seeking the highest office — perhaps more so, given his race, his name and his lack of experience. But he has not been childishly egomaniacal, in contrast to our recent baby-boomer Presidents — or petulant, in contrast to his opponent. He does not seem needy. He seems a grown-up, in a nation that badly needs some adult supervision.
            As Bill Clinton has said, he leans fast. I interpret Bill Clinton's comment as saying he changes positions, adopts others and does what it takes.

It is an understatement to say he is 'a facinating study'. I am a Hillary Clinton supporter...and Obama may have just confined her to life in the Senate...never to attain the presidency?

I am also a lover of women...and I thought and still do think Obama treated Hillary poorly.

...as far as his positions are concerned?

The last paragraph of the article quoted above finds resonance with my thoughts on the man - It appears to me that on planning for the caucuses, his statements on "a new kind of politics campaign", his claiming of positions last in the day and saying either that he was first on those positions or others were aping his positions, his promise of 95% of Americans getting lower taxes vs his statements that he shall impose new additional taxes on all making over $250,000.00, etc...are at variance with...at odds with his soaring rhethoric.

Something is not right!
            Yet, I have no choice but to vote for him. Not because his 'sweet speeches' far 'outguns' the stumbling delivery of John McCain. Not because he offers any better or even on par policy to John McCain's but because he is one with me on race. I take comfort in thought that Obama will put aside his campaign promises saying "task accomplished...I am now President! Time to execute as I really think I should". In short, time to put the 'untruthful goodies' and or 'silly goodies' to rest...and face the realities of the US and World economy on the one hand and on the other hand the US position in the world. A charlatan or a rascal...but...he shall walk into the confined space (surrounded by powerful persons with personal agendas) ...constrained to action by those interests.

How will an Obama Presidency be remembered? We'll see...
            "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
              his promise of 95% of Americans getting lower taxes vs his statements that he shall impose new additional taxes on all making over $250,000.00, etc...are at variance with...at odds with his soaring rhethoric.

Something is not right!

Actually his tax plan does "sort of" do this. Where it is misleading is that it is impossible to give 95% of Americans a tax cut simply because far less than 95% of income earners pay any income taxes!

Basically what he is doing is sending most of the low income earners (that pay no income taxes) a check that he calls a "tax credit". Its basically a way to "spread the wealth around" but not call it welfare.

Comment

I thought only taxpayers get a check!

Comment

Nope!

He calls them "refundable tax credits", ie if you qualify for the tax credits but it exceeds your taxes, the federal govt cuts you a check for the difference!

Its basically income redistribution with a fancy name.
                  Last edited by Islandman; October 23, 2008, 12:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
                    Actually his tax plan does "sort of" do this. Where it is misleading is that it is impossible to give 95% of Americans a tax cut simply because far less than 95% of income earners pay any income taxes!

Basically what he is doing is sending most of the low income earners (that pay no income taxes) a check that he calls a "tax credit". Its basically a way to "spread the wealth around" but not call it welfare.
                    Well as you noticed I made a comparison of what he says on one hand [95% taxes (incidentally the matter of that being "income taxes" is most often not made by Obama and his surrogates)] and what he says on the other hand [raising taxes on those making over $250,000.00 per annum & the 'large' companies].

We know who pays for such increases in the cost of 'living expenses' and 'cost of doing business' and how it plays out. Where the individual is concerned, curtaining of 'living expenses' i.e. spending less whether or not it is purchasing less or cutting the number of household help or whatever...and where companies are concerned putting the 'new increased costs' into the prices the goods and or services are sold. Bottomline as most services and goods affect each individual - the voters i.e. including his 95% pays for the increases! Does anyone of us think Obama does not know that?

Why I think McCain's plan is more suited for us now - more modest spending and taxation.

I know that companies deciding to move jobs offshore is complex...but it always has a lot to do with 'profitability'. If the cost of doing business in the good old USA is more expensive than offshore...then it would not be unreasonable to think that a business would be inclined to move offshore.
                    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

China et al will be always less expensive than the US. With that logic, the US should not be able to keep any business.

What if Sandals used that logic to relocate to Bahamas, or St. lucia?

Comment

Originally posted by Willi View Post
                        China et al will be always less expensive than the US. With that logic, the US should not be able to keep any business.

What if Sandals used that logic to relocate to Bahamas, or St. lucia?
                        ...and what is the logic?

btw - On another note:
                        If history is any indicator...China shall rise, and then fall!

Is the USA falling?

Comment

Jawge says if the US falls the world will go back to the bronze age. Get your sword and shield ready for battle!

Always remember, twenty-five years ago when Japan was on the rise people believed the fall of the US as the dominant power in the world was all but certain. Then Japan went into a financial crisis not unlike the one the US faces now and even today thier stock market is less than 50% of what it was in the late 80s. Its still one of the great economies of the world but never really came to rival the US economy.

My personal view is that for the forseeable future the US will not be as dominant as it has been since the fall of the Soviet empire, but will still be the driving force of the world economy. I don't see Great Depression 2 but I see a period of economic stagnation while the economy comes to terms with its level of debt.

The rise of China is inevitable , and I think India has a great future ahead.

Brazil and Russia are the other two to watch.

Comment

Gamma, whe mi tell yo? Karl get di 401K check inna di mail

yo notice Karl give valid reasons why him support Obama but then claim se a because of race? LOL.

Karl identified the singular reason why i support his campaign, he surrounds himself with powerful people. and yes Karl, we know they all have ulterior motive but as i said, lets see what good can be accomplished before he becomes corrupt.
                            Karl commenting on Maschaeroni's sending off, "Getting sent off like that is anti-TEAM!
                            Terrible decision by the player!":busshead::Laugh&roll::Laugh&roll::eek::La ugh&roll:

Comment

have you ever been on freerepublic or redstate?

**************************** zombies hay?
                              Karl commenting on Maschaeroni's sending off, "Getting sent off like that is anti-TEAM!
                              Terrible decision by the player!":busshead::Laugh&roll::Laugh&roll::eek::La ugh&roll:

Comment

Working...
                              X