Peter Tosh's son Dave gives his perspective

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peter Tosh's son Dave gives his perspective

Diluting the spirit of the 'Stepping Razor'?
    Peter Tosh's son Dave gives his perspective
    Basil Walters, Observer staff reporter
    Wednesday, October 22, 2008

TOSH... For the first time in almost 20 years, the annual tribute to Peter Tosh was not held.
    For the first time in almost 20 years, the annual tribute to Peter Tosh was not held due to differences between the promoter, Worrell King, and family members over the choice of venue. In a valiant attempt to save the day, university lecturer Dr Michael Barnett, in partnership with Livity Vegetarian Restaurant, organised a free memorial event of sorts on Sunday (Tosh's 64th birthday) which never came off in a way worthy of the iconic entertainer in whose honour it was staged.

It was supposed to be a gig where artistes would "pass through" and pay tribute to Tosh in a free jam-session style. This in addition to the showing of the documentary on Peter Tosh, Stepping Razor. But what obtained on the grounds of Livity Vegetarian Restaurant was dull, colourless and lifeless. There were no more than 30 persons at any given time savouring the rich musical legacy of Peter Tosh in the form of recorded selections by Caveman sound system, and the showing of a DVD featuring performances of Andrew Tosh on a tour of Brazil.

There were even fewer people around when, as a prelude to his father's documentary, Andrew gave a live performance of a couple of Peter's finest recordings for which he got an encore from the smallest of gatherings.

But one was left to ponder, how could Tosh's children, mainly the three sons (Andrew, Dave and Stephen) who were present, have endorsed this event while withdrawing their support from what has been Worrell King's vision which led to an annual memorial free concert for 17 years?

Speaking on behalf of his siblings, Dave Tosh told the Observer that the sentiment is strong among family members that the show from here on be held at Tosh's Mausoleum in Belmont, Westmoreland where it started. "Basically the place never up to date for hosting the show. That is Belmont, particularly the Memorial Garden, according to the authorities. So we just decided to go ahead and cancel the show. That's all it is," Dave Tosh said.

Dave was asked to explain his brother's objection to the show returning to Independence Park in Savannah-la-Mar, where it was held for the past three years, and where Worrell King was pushing for in view of the authorities' refusal to grant permission for it to be held at the family's plot in Belmont.

"You see, the show is really a Peter show. The point is, we just agreed fi it deal wid a Belmont because there is where the home is, that's where it belong, that's where it suppose to be and substitute is not accepted. You see whe me a deal wid. We just want it to be at home. So whatever we have to do to make sure it feel comfortable next year, we'll have to do that. The authorities outlined what we have to do. So we acknowledge that we have work to do," Dave added.

For this year's renewal Worrell King, who in 2003 took the Tribute to Peter Tosh concert to Miami, was planning to feature a cast of the second-generation of the Wailers including Sensi Love the daughter of Bunny Wailer, Akila Barrett son of the late drummer Carlton Barrett, and Andrew Tosh.

"Lack of co-oporation from Peter Tosh's children, I had to put off the show this year. Police turned down the application for the facility at Belmont, stating it was not a proper place for us to keep the event. So they did not grant permission. And there's no way I'm going against the law of the land," King told the Observer.

Added he: "Special respect to Bunny (Wailer) for his efforts and everything that he has done for us to go ahead with the show. He did stand up for me. I really apologise to the many people in western Jamaica, and all the people from overseas, the vendors, the government through the JTB who promote it as an international event, the media houses. Let them understand that I'm frustrated."
    Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
    - Langston Hughes

Pure Madness

Instead of supporting Worrell King and have a Peter tribute at Independence Park - them prefer not to have anything of value.

" Cut your nose to spite your face"
    Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
    - Langston Hughes

Comment

To me, Peter Tosh is the most complete musician ever to come from Jamaica.
      Why the Jamaican government or someone with serious money & influence don't throw their weigh behind his namebrand.
      “I am not a politician..I only suffer the consequences”.......Peter Tosh

Comment

well i would not go to that extent as saying the most complete musician...in fact i don't agree. what i would say is that his songs are AWESOME....."rastafari is" remains one of the most spiritually uplifting piecea music, ever to come out of jamaica!!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Man juss a stan up fi
          suppen wha him believe inna, das all.

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
            well i would not go to that extent as saying the most complete musician...in fact i don't agree. what i would say is that his songs are AWESOME....."rastafari is" remains one of the most spiritually uplifting piecea music, ever to come out of jamaica!!
            dat man created the wailers' sound de one Mr Marley tek and conquer de World with.
            the way he played the organ & guitar styling inspired dat sound, only thing Bob & de remaining Wailers did was cleaned it up & make it more internationally accepted.
            Listen de the Wailers album 'Burnin' Deluxe edition......Peter plays lead guitar on the second disc...the live one....Awesome stuff, time of creation 1973......Even through the years after Tosh left the band, they, the Wailers never really improved on dat sound.
            “I am not a politician..I only suffer the consequences”.......Peter Tosh

Comment

Working...
            X