HONOUR for a 'GORGON'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HONOUR for a 'GORGON'

HONOUR for a 'GORGON' - Bunny Lee gets just reward for service to music industry

SPORTING A black top hat and gold suit, record producer Edward O'Sullivan 'Bunny Striker' Lee was arguably the most dapper of the recipients at yesterday's National Honours and Awards ceremony at the National Indoor Sports Centre.
    Lee, 67, received the Order of Distinction (Officer class) for his contribution to the development of Jamaican music.
    "It's great to be alive to get this award. I've gotten a lot around the world but this one is special because it's from home," Lee told The Gleaner. Lee was one of reggae's

top producers during the late 1960s and throughout the 1970s. He started his own labels after apprenticeships with producers Arthur 'Duke' Reid and Leslie Kong.

Keyboardist Glen Adams, who played on some of Lee's biggest hit songs, paid homage to his longtime friend.
    One of a kind
    "Bunny Lee is a one of a kind, he would use accidental things in the studio and make it work," said Adams, who came in from New York City for the ceremony.
    Among Lee's early hit songs were Conversation with the Uniques. In the early 1970s he really made his mark with John Holt whose big hit, Stick By Me, he produced.
    In 1971, along with Tommy Cowan, Lee produced Eric Donaldson's Cherry Oh Baby, which won the Festival Song contest. The following year Delroy Wilson's Better Must Come, which Lee produced, became an anthem for the People's National Party which won the general election in Jamaica that year.
    Embraced roots-reggae
    Lee was not restricted to mainstream hits. He embraced the rebellious feel of roots-reggae, producing hits by Johnny Clarke (None Shall Escape the Judgement, Move Outa Babylon), Horace Andy (Zion Gate) and Gorgon by Cornel Campbell.
    Many of his songs from the early and mid-1970s featured the 'Flying Cymbal' sound, an uptempo beat led by drummer Carlton 'Santa' Davis of The Aggrovators, Lee's house band.
    Lee continues to produce, but in the last 25 years has largely concentrated on licensing his catalogue in Europe and North America.
    Cowan, another music industry veteran, also received an OD yesterday for his contribution to Jamaica's popular music. He has excelled as performer (with the Jamaicans), producer (of hit songs by Ras Michael and the Sons of Negus and Israel Vibration) and impressario.
    Samuel Clayton of the Mystic Revelation of Rastafari, Cedella Marley-Booker, record producer Augustus 'Joe' Gibbs and former Mutual Life Gallery curator Pat Ramsay, also received the Order of Distinction.
    Ms Booker, mother of reggae legend Bob Marley and Gibbs, died this year.
    Sounds of Distinction
    Bunny Lee was one of the first Jamaican record producers to license his songs with European companies like Trojan Records.

Cherry Oh Baby has been covered by the Rolling Stones and UB40.

Tommy Cowan produced Ras Michael and the Sons of Negus' hit song, New Name.

Some of Dennis Brown's biggest hit songs were produced by Joe Gibbs. They include How Can I Live, Love Has Found its Way and Ain't That Loving You.

Peta-Gaye Clachar/Staff Photographer Record producer, Bunny 'Striker' Lee in dapper form at yesterday's National Honours and Awards ceremony at the National Indoor Sports Centre.

http://www.jamaica-gleaner.com/glean.../ent/ent1.html
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Isn't that The Penguin? Where's Batman?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Producers like Bunny Lee certainly made their mark on Jamaica's musical landscape, and in the process helped to elevate our music to the stage it now is. Kudos to Lee, King Jammy's and the other producers/engineers.

The fact is that not all of our highly rated producers actually did any studio mixing. I'm open to correction here, but I think that a producer like Clement "Sir Coxsone" Dodd, for example, functioned primarily as a businessman in that he concentrated on the financial and contractual side of things.

Bunny Lee and King Tubby, on the other hand, were actually engineers as well and so were literally responsible for some of the innovations in our recorded music, much like Lee Perry was. In fact, it's difficult to overestimate the importance of both Bunny Lee and King Tubby in the development of, for example, dub music.

My main grouse against Bunny Lee is the fact that he is one of the producers who introduced that boring style of using one rhythm for countless songs. My other grouse is the haste in which some of those U Roy and King Stitt recordings were produced. A better business plan would obviously be to spread out the releases more carefully over time. But, competition amongst the several producers back in that era, I guess, accounted for poor business practices such as this.

Comment

It was primarily a local market and the demand was for who can answer who and who have new tunes. People use to be glue to their radio and sound system for the newest tunes. It was not mostly about business but keeping the massive happy. If they only knew they could a make so much money overseas a bet more emphasis would have been on feeding that market.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Good to see the veterans them get honoured including Brother Sam Clayton of Mystic Revelation of Rastafari who was a elder and friend fro a brief while.
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

yes....it was thick thick competition to have as many rotations as possible of your music, to keep fresh.

plus i think that at the time from a sheer volume perspective, there weren't as many artistes and certainly not as mich local music.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
              It was primarily a local market and the demand was for who can answer who and who have new tunes. People use to be glue to their radio and sound system for the newest tunes. It was not mostly about business but keeping the massive happy. If they only knew they could a make so much money overseas a bet more emphasis would have been on feeding that market.
              I agree with you, Assasin, and also with Gamma's points. The one thing I would probably question is Gamma's statement here: "a sheer volume perspective, there weren't as many artistes and certainly not as mich local music."

I have a suspicion that there was more local music being made in the 1970s when compared with today! Of course, I could be wrong in this estimation, and if so I stand corrected.

Anyway, gentlemen, run the following golden oldies through your thoughts as you work:

"Sweet Sensation," by Brent Dowe and the Melodians
              "More Scorcher," by the Sound Dimensions
              "Groovin' Out On Life," by Hopeton Lewis
              "Many Are called," by the I-Threes
              "Delilah," by the Inner Circle
              "World A Music," by Ini Kamoze
              "Greetings," by Half Pint
              "Elizabeth Reggae," The Boris Gardiner Happening
              "Murder She Wrote," by Chaka Demus & Pliers
              "The ABC Rocksteady," by Tomorrow's Children
              "Empty Chair," by Byron Lee & the Dragonaires
              "Wash Wash," by Prince Buster
              "Oil In My Lamp," by Eric "Monty" Morris
              "Burke's Law," by Prince Buster

and my all-time favorite reggae recording, "Book of Rules," by the Heptones!

Comment

No a lot more music made today. The only difference is too many, especially some good ones don't see the light of day.

Lot more artists but only that in Eastern corridor of the US and Ja we tend to only feature a few artists and a few riddims. The imagination of the djs are limited.

Comment

uh.. now Niney the observer would say he produce some of those for Striker Lee ... Anyway congrats

Comment

Well not sure if the comparison between producer and engineer is relevant. George Pang is a good pruducer but he is not around the boards. Some engineers are producers but not all producer are engineer and that goes in any country. Although Jammys is a very good engineer most of the hits of the 90s was mixed by Bobby D and Squingine.. So I get what you are saying..

Comment

I dont think the soundmen take too much risk and to be honest dont think the consumer demmand it. Its one bag of foolishness right now..

Comment

Originally posted by OJ View Post
                        I dont think the soundmen take too much risk and to be honest dont think the consumer demmand it. Its one bag of foolishness right now..
                        Consumer??!!!! Yeah right! Put on Movado's "Which Gal!" and Morgan Heritage's "Love you Right" in a party and see which one get the best reaction. As long as the fooliishness draw such reaction, whats gonna change?
                        "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

thats what I said big man.. I dont think we the consumer buy enough roots music or lovers rock. In Europe (France and Germany it would be the latter of your example that buss the place. not mofrado.. Thats why most of the roots singers target Europe and lovers rock target the UK..

Comment

hey historian...book of rules has an uncanny universal appeal...the melody and arrangement is sooooo captivating....notwithstanding that the lyrics are actually from the poem "a bag of tools" by r.l. sharpe....i would love to hear the inspiration for them doing that song about THAT poem.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by OJ View Post
                              thats what I said big man.. I dont think we the consumer buy enough roots music or lovers rock. In Europe (France and Germany it would be the latter of your example that buss the place. not mofrado.. Thats why most of the roots singers target Europe and lovers rock target the UK..
                              The radio DJs in the NY/NJ area are no better. All they push is dancehall. They only feature the reggae artist dem when dem deh pon a concert being promoted by the radio station. Now check out this Tami Chin called Sweet Love, I just came across this on youtube. Never heard this anywhere before.

Comment

Working...
                              X