'No bail'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'No bail'

Judge gets tough on murder accused, tells lawyer to call human rights groupsBY PAUL HENRY Sunday Observer reporter editorial@jamaicaobserver.com
    Sunday, October 19, 2008

A high court judge on Friday refused bail applications for three persons accused of serious crimes, including murder, and advised at least one defence counsel to contact human rights groups if he felt that his client was denied justice.
    "You can call human rights and all the people you want to call. I'm not afraid of anybody. Bring all the human rights groups you want to," Justice Kay Beckford said following an exchange in the Home Circuit Court between herself and attorney C J Mitchell, who was seeking bail for one of his clients, Ian Ellis, who is facing two separate charges of murder.
    Added Beckford: "The man is on two separate murder charges and you want to make bail application? No bail."
    The judge's decision is likely to add more fury to the debate over bail proposals in an anti-crime bill being examined by a joint select committee of Parliament.
    Since the committee began sitting in mid-September, legal minds, parliamentarians and rights groups have been at odds over a proposal to make an interim statute (in force for one year) for persons charged with serious offences to be detained without bail for up to 60 days.
    As well, a proposal seeking to amend the Bail Act to require the accused to satisfy the court that bail should be granted, and conferring on the director of public prosecutions the right of appeal where bail is granted by the court has been causing conflict among the parties.
    Last week, the committee decided that, despite opposition from local rights groups and lawyers, they would push ahead with the proposals, made in bipartisan discussions between the Government and Opposition in the wake of a wave of crime which swept the country earlier this year.
    On Friday in court, another accused, Neville Barnes, who is on three counts of rape, was on the receiving end of Beckford's sarcasm when she told his attorney that jail was the "safest place" for him because three persons have already "told lies" on him.
    Beckford then instructed the Crown counsel to note "no bail" on each count of rape filed against Barnes.
    Barnes' lawyer, however, told Beckford that none of the complainants in the matter were able to identify Barnes. But the judge retorted, "Take it [the bail application] elsewhere - not before me."
    Shortly after those exchanges, that had the court in stitches, 31-year-old Ingrid Gibson, who is accused of stabbing to death her common-law husband, Omar Mellis, last year was brought before the court.
    During the brief bail application, Beckford seemed to soften, even sharing a laugh with Gibson's lawyer, Tamika Harris, at the end of the application, before refusing the request, to the amusement of those present.
    Beckford noted that Gibson was charged with a serious offence and said that women today like to claim equality "but don't like to be equal" when things go wrong.
    Beckford uttered, in her usual sotto voce-style, that women nowadays were committing all sorts of crimes and expected to get bail because they are women.
    "Dead is dead," Beckford said.
    Gibson, who has a four-year-old son for the deceased, had been granted bail in the Half-Way-Tree Resident Magistrate's Court, but it was revoked when the matter was transferred to the Circuit Court in September.
    Harris told the Observer after court that she would be making an in-chambers bail application on behalf of her client.
    Beckford's firm stand on Friday will no doubt give legislators reason to question the police's push for senior officers to be granted power to enforce the 60-day detention.
    In an effort to support the constabulary's case, Police Commissioner Hardley Lewin and one of his deputies, Mark Shields, last month presented the joint select committee with seven cases of persons charged with serious crimes who, after being granted bail, committed murders.
    In one of the cases, Shields said the accused, after being charged with carnal abuse in 2003, was granted bail after which the carnal abuse victim - who was six to seven months pregnant - was murdered in 2004. The accused was then charged with murder, but was again granted bail, only to be arrested in 2006 for a double murder.
    Shields also outlined the case of a prominent gang leader who was charged with murder in 2003, committed triple murder in 2005 while on bail, absconded to the USA, was eventually held by US authorities and deported. On arrival in Jamaica the gangster was charged with triple murder, was granted bail, breached the bail conditions and was re-arrested, but was again given bail. A witness in the case against the gang leader was murdered and now the gangster is in custody.
    In a third case, Shields said that the murder accused, after being charged, absconded bail then committed a double and single murder. That person, he said, is also a suspect in four other murders as well as one case of arson.
    Lewin and Shields also presented the committee with police data showing that 71 persons charged with serious criminal offences have committed other crimes while on bail.
    Of the 71, the data said, 26 committed murder; of 21 who have murder as a first offence, seven re-committed murder as a second offence; 27 of the 71 committed shooting with intent; and 18 of the 71 were charged with illegal possession of firearm.

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/...__NO_BAIL_.asp
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

finally!!!! a display of CHUTZPAH!!!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Well them nuh want pass the Golding bail thing into law and then we constantly talk how them let out people fi commit crime.

How can you lwt out a man suspected of more than one crime as bad as that?
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
        finally!!!! a display of CHUTZPAH!!!
        Don't celebrate too quickly, Gamma boss. Trust me, this brief display of commonsense will not last for long! Incidentally, do we all acknowledge now that Commissioner of Police Lewin's one-day resignation wasn't a ploy to get the political support he needed, but rather, was the action of a man who realized that he was making no headway (in other words, failing)?

Off topic: Why is it that whenever I look at Guyana's collapsing economy and society, I am reminded so much of Jamaica?

Comment

you nd i both know the answer....although guyana has more natural resources (vastness) it also has less human resources nevertheless...sad.

that is one reason why bvi will cling to its overseas territory status.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
            you nd i both know the answer....although guyana has more natural resources (vastness) it also has less human resources nevertheless...sad.

that is one reason why bvi will cling to its overseas territory status.
            Yep, you are totally correct! And Guyana's human resources is becoming even less as the massive migration (and corresponding brain drain) continues from that English-speaking South American country. I'm not sure if many people realize that Jamaica's outward migration pales in comparison to Guyana's (and, I believe, Suriname's).

This is one of several reasons why I've always been against the placing of CARICOM's headquarters in Georgetown! But then again, the way that CARICOM has been going, its headquarters may as well have been placed in Port au Prince!!

British territories like the BVI, the Cayman Islands, the Turks & Caicos Islands, Montserrat, and Bermuda are probably taking notice and thanking their lucky stars that Britain still owns them. Maybe independence in 1962 for Jamaica was not such a great idea after all !

Comment

Lets see if this is an isolated incident. The judicial sh!tsim is broken in Ja.
              Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

you can have the BEST system in the world but if you do not have the personnel with the wherewithal to make it work...fahgeddaboudit!!!

Comment

Its the personnel run the sh!tsim, and Ja's need a whole leap of reform.
                  Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

reform...true enough..but if you reform and leave the same people in charge...consider christie as the CG, he has made a difference...true it is that mckoy his predecessor also showed a similar commitment to his job...

Comment

This is not an isolated case at all. One would have to be familiar with the justice system to know.

There are several men in jail in MoBay for more than a year some as long as two and half years on murder charges but unless witnesses come forward the cases cannot proceed and you just cant keep people in jail if no one will come forward to give evidence.

Quite often witnesses end up dead or all of a sudden leave the area where they used to live or get amnesia and what happened under the mid day sun suddenly get foggy.

There is a case where a man killed an Australian tourist two yearts ago in a hotel room, his DNA was found in the room and after lying that he was no where near the hotel on the day, they found he had signed into the hotel under a fake name.

They first time the cas ewnet to Circuit, they started it but realised they did not have enough time and so they abandoned it and put it at the top of the list for this past circuit...the case last over two weeks of the three weeks circuit and the jury could not come to a decision.

Fifteen witnesees testified including DNA experts and hand writing experts and otjers who saw him there etc but rhe jury of his peers could not come to a unanamous decision and so the case has to be tried again, massive waste of time and money.

Some of the jurors were smiling when they left the just box, they just did not care especially since it was not even a Jamaica who died.

See these are some of the hurdles that the system faces..not that I am trying to make excuses cause the system needs an overhaul like yesterday.
                      Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
                      Che Guevara.

Comment

Justice Kay Beckford is a fool. Such bravado is not necessary, and worse, trying to drag human rights organisations into this.

Do your freaking job and stop gwaan like di very bad man dem yuh preside over!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

I had a run in with her some years back when I was a young reporter covering the MoBay RM. She used to abuse the court staff from the bench, calling them dunces and they were afraid of her but one day they sent me a letter which I did a story about for the Jamaica Record and she was huffing and puffing when she came into court and nearly shouting spoke about how she will not stop doing what she is doing while looking straight at me.

One day there was some one with my name who was on a charge and when she heard the name called out, she nearly jumped out of her chair but the lawyer who was appearing for the man, laughed and said to her that he knows she would love to get a certain person by that name infront of her but it was some one else.

I know if it was me on even a traffic ticket, I would still be in jail to this day.
                          Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
                          Che Guevara.

Comment

Yes, you wonder if a character like her would be able to dispense justice fairly, given her unnecessary emotion.

Fool!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

jamaica needs more courageous judges like her...
                              'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

Working...
                              X