1980s
    Business: drugs, weapons
    Region: Jamaica, Miami, New York
    Claim to Fame: showered victims with bullets
    Downfall: massive federal investigations
    Sentence: from 28 years to life without parole
    Lesson: reggae yes, murder no

Case File
    An incredibly violent gang with operations in the 1980s that stretched from Jamaica to New York to Miami and beyond, the Shower Posse got its name because it often rained rounds of automatic weapons fire on its victims.
    Advertisement
    document.write(getADJad('ad' + ++adTile, '300', '250', adTile, 'ontv;sub=betshows;prod=americangangster3;n=americ angangster3_episodeguide_showerposse;dcopt=ist;p=a '));

From their beginnings in the ghettos of Kingston Jamaica, the Shower Posse members and their main posse rivals, the Spanglers, came to prominence as the muscle behind Jamaica’s two major political parties. Their clashes reached a crescendo in the bloody election campaign of 1980, which resulted in an influx of arms to the island and culminated in the election of Shower-backed candidate Edward Seaga. The subsequent emigration of battle-hardened Posse members to the United States, along with the sudden rise of the ’80s crack epidemic, created a perfect storm of violent crimes for money, with the Posse blamed for as many as 1,400 murders.
    The Shower Posse’s acknowledged U.S. leader during this era, Vivian Blake, helps “American Gangster” tell the story of the gang’s rise and fall.

The date of the show?
    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Vivian really making a lot of money out of his informing. Half of the man them him inform on dead anyway, so I guess he isn't in fear of anything.

Comment

Vivian Blake for plea bargain

MIAMI (AP): A JAMAICAN who US officials say is a leader of an infamous drug gang is set to plead guilty to federal charges, his attorney said.

Vivian Blake, who was on the FBI's Most Wanted list for more than a decade, is charged with dozens of counts of murder, racketeering and drug and firearms smuggling and distribution. He is alleged to be a leader of the Shower Posse, a brutal Jamaican-dominated gang that officials say murdered up to 1,400 people.

Attorney David Rowe on Monday would not say what charges Blake would admit, but said he would not plead guilty to murder. He also said Blake, 45, continues to deny involvement in the Shower Posse.

No date has been set for the plea, Rowe said.

The Miami Herald reported yesterday that Blake would plead guilty to racketeering in return for a 30-year sentence. Blake had faced 398 years in prison and US$15.5 million in fines, if convicted.

Prosecutors could not be reached for comment.

A federal grand jury indicted Blake in 1988, but he eluded authorities by boarding a cruise ship in Miami. He sailed to Jamaica, where he remained free until his arrest in 1994.

He fought extradition for five years, but Jamaican courts in July ordered him returned to the United States. He was extradited and is being held at Miami's Federal Detention Centre.

US prosecutors have revealed few details of their case. Most of the details that are available come from the 56-page indictment handed down against Blake and 34 Shower Posse members.

Several co-defendants have already served prison terms and have been deported to Jamaica. Others are still serving prison terms.

The indictment outlined the gang's alleged crimes.

Blake was based out of Miami where he oversaw the gang's drug and firearms smuggling operation. He travelled frequently within the US and to Canada.

Gang members packed marijuana and cocaine in suitcases to be shipped from the Bahamas to south Florida, where the drugs were distributed around the country, either by courier or individuals who would carry the drugs. The gang also shipped drugs to Canada.

Cash from drug sales were either hand delivered to Blake or wired to him through Western Union.

Blake also is charged with aiding and abetting in killings and attempted killings in Miami and Los Angeles

Comment

Hortical the season premier is on october 23 and the shower posse episode 4

Comment

yuh have a fascination with things jamaican that would tickle a psychiatrist pink....

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

oH HERE YOU GO AGAIN GAMMA going ova board I guess when them jamaican come trinidad fuh carnival them have ah fascination with we eh

Comment

YUP!!!!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Naminirt View Post
                  Hortical the season premier is on october 23 and the shower posse episode 4
                  Times have certainly changed! In the 1980s and 1990s we had the infamous, murderous Jamaican outfits the Shower Posse, the Jamaican Posse (featured in movies such as the Steven Seagall-starring "Marked For Death"), and Britain's Yardies.

Today, it is the Haitian's highly feared, extremely murderous Zoe Pound gang that carries the drug and gang weight, particularly in Florida!

Comment

Originally posted by Historian View Post
                    the Jamaican Posse (featured in movies such as the Steven Seagall-starring "Marked For Death"), and Britain's Yardies.
                    That group featured in Seagal's movie was fictional!
                    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by Hortical View Post
                      That group featured in Seagal's movie was fictional!

Hortical: Do I sound dumb to you?!!

The Steven Seagal movie, “Marked For Death,” was loosely tied around Seagal (as cop John Hatcher) battling a drug gang known as the Jamaican Posse, and led by a vicious Jamaican gangster Screwface (played by our very own talented basil Wallace).

Of course I am fully aware that that gang of imbecilic dreads in “Marked For Death” was a fictitious gang, but it is NOT by coincidence that the name given to them was the Jamaican Posse!! The gang in that movie was called the Jamaican Posse because at the time that movie was made (1990), the Jamaican Posse was probably the most feared drug gang in parts of the USA!

And, incidentally, “Marked For Death” wasn’t the only USA movie that featured the so-called Jamaican Posse! Check the movie “Predator 2”, starring Danny Glover, for example.

Comment

actually i was in miami at the time and the term for jamaican gangs was "posse" so it was not at all coincidental...unnuh figget seh seagal has done a dj album (or should i say and album with reggae and dancehall)recorded in jamaica?!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
                          actually i was in miami at the time and the term for jamaican gangs was "posse" so it was not at all coincidental...unnuh figget seh seagal has done a dj album (or should i say and album with reggae and dancehall)recorded in jamaica?!!!
                          ....Although Steven Seagal's reggae album was recorded at least a full decade after the film "marked For Death" was made.

Whatever became of Steven Seagall's album, Gamma? If my memory is correct here, that album was supposed to include Beenie Man on at least one track. And in the same breath I must ask what became of all those other reggae projects that one hoped would at last have pushed reggae beyond what Morgan Heritage, etc. are accomplishing and on to the next level? I'm referring here to reggae material recorded by people like Willie Nelson (with Toots Hibbert on some tracks), by Paul McCartney, and (if I'm not mistaken) other high profile artists?

Comment

toots had a GREAT duets album with willie nelson, bonnie raitt, no doubt, eric clapton, jeff beck bootsy collins, keith richard and ben harper not to mention shaggy, u roy, ke booth and the skatalites..the album is called "true love" and is a fantastic album.

i own a copy...

i don't know what became of seagals album...morgan heritage is always there r thereabouts not quite achieving the rep as a third world or aswad.

Comment

Come fi tek a wine pon yuh woman...
                              Peter R

Comment

Working...
                              X