Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joe the Plumber,' Who Dislikes Obama Tax Plan, Owes Back Tax

`Oct. 16 (Bloomberg) --

``Joe the plumber,'' the Toledo, Ohio, man whose complaints about Barack Obama's tax plan were featured in the final presidential debate, owes the state of Ohio almost $1,200 in back income taxes.
    According to records on file with the Lucas County Court of Common Pleas, the state filed a tax lien against Samuel J. Wurzelbacher for $1,182.98 on Jan. 26, 2007, that is still active.
    Wurzelbacher was thrust into the national spotlight this week when he told Obama he worried that the Illinois senator's proposals to roll back Bush administration tax breaks for Americans earning more than $250,000 would prevent him from buying a plumbing business that would earn between $250,000 and $280,000 a year.
    Republican John McCain, the Arizona senator, pointed to the exchange during the debate last night when he turned to the camera and said, ``I will not stand for a tax increase on small- business income.'' Directly criticizing Obama, he added, ``what you want to do to `Joe the plumber' and millions more like him is have their taxes increased and not be able to realize the American dream of owning their own business.''
    Today, at a rally in Downingtown, Pennsylvania, McCain said that ``the real winner last night was `Joe the plumber.'''
    Wurzelbacher's home telephone number is unlisted, and efforts to reach him by calling his neighbors and family were unsuccessful. Attempts to reach Wurzelbacher at the plumbing company where he works were also unsuccessful. The address on the lien and other records for him matched the address published by the Toledo Blade, which also noted the lien.
    A Lien
    The state of Ohio places a lien on real property after several steps to try to collect a tax debt, according to John Kohlstrand, a spokesman for the Ohio Department of Taxation who said he couldn't discuss any specific case.
    If a delinquency notice goes unheeded, the Department of Taxation issues a billing notice, Kohlstrand said. If that is ignored, a more formal assessment notice is sent. Failing to appeal an assessment or losing an appeal puts the debt into the hands of the state attorney general for collection. The attorney general typically sends a collection notice and simultaneously files a lien.
    ``The taxpayers may not necessarily know about the lien,'' Kohlstrand said, although they would receive other notices.
    In Wurzelbacher's case, the lien indicated that the notice was sent to a previous address in Toledo.
    Under Obama's proposal, Wurzelbacher would face about $900 more in taxes if he netted $280,000 of income from his new business, said Gerald Prante, a senior economist at the Tax Foundation, a Washington research group that is examining both candidates' plans. ``His average tax burden, the final bill he pays to the IRS isn't going to go up much if he's just making $280,000 a year,'' Prante said. He would face higher marginal tax costs to expand the business beyond that, he said.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=aWDHvDjnDnTs
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Apparently he is not a licensed plumber either. Bwoy these days people can know you life story as soon as you get 15 minutes of fame.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    politico.com

Joe not a licensed plumber, McCain's enthusiasm not diminished

The Toledo Blade is reporting that Joe the Plumber is actually not licensed. But that, combined with his apparent tax lien, isn't lessening McCain's ardor.

He said in an interview with Fox's Carl Cameron today that he hoped to hook up with the instantly famous Ohioan soon.

“I'm probably going to call him this morning," McCain said. "I thought he would probably be up late. I heard that his — that his phone lines were pretty well flooded. But I think we're going to be spending some time together.”
    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

RNC mole
      THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

$XX?
        "Jah Jah see dem a come, but I & I a Conqueror!"

Comment

might as well di 2 a dem a use him as a pawn.....

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Check out Sam's reasoning

John Seery

Posted October 16, 2008 | 06:00 PM (EST)

Joe the Plumber Meets Sam the Gas Station Guy

A few days ago (which is to say, prior to the Wednesday night presidential debate), I met Sam. Joe the Plumber should really meet Sam, too.
            I was jogging away on the treadmill at my local gym when the guy next to me--who turned out to be Sam--introduced himself. He seemed to want to talk, which was fine by me. He asked what I did. I told him. He immediately replied, "Oh, I've never met a professor before. I never went to college. Seriously, in my entire life I've never read a book all the way through. Please, Professor, don't make fun of me."
            Of course I wouldn't. Besides, I found Sam's humility, curiosity, and affability endearing. As Sam talked, I became only more enthralled in what he had to say. He told me his life story. He grew up in Yonkers, New York and came out to California in his early twenties. At 22 he found himself working as an entry-level cashier at a gas station. Eventually he cobbled together loans and a payment schedule and bought the station.
            Cut to the future: Now 38 years old, Sam owns more than 100 gas stations in southern California and 25 restaurant franchises. He has over 800 employees working for him. He has four kids in a happy marriage. He's a devout churchgoer. He's a proud American and lets you know that.
            We started talking politics. "You know what," he said, "I'd really like some reporter to come and ask me my views on the election. Why don't they ever seek out guys like me? I got something to tell them. Professor, why isn't the LA Times or somebody asking me for my opinion?"
            I probed a bit. "So what is it you want to say to them?"
            Sam opened the verbal floodgates. "Hey, I've always voted Republican. For the first time in my life I'm going to vote for a Democrat. I'm voting for Obama."
            "Why's that?"
            "My gas station businesses are hurting. I make the same profit margin--5 to 8 cents per gallon--no matter whether the price of gas is $1.99 per gallon or $4.99. The big oil companies are the ones raking in the profits when prices go up, not me. I can make money on gas only through volume sales--and if people are hurting, I make less on gas. Or I start to lose money, like now. Where I make money, though, is when they come inside and buy discretionary items--food, drinks, lottery tickets. Right now, people aren't buying. I know 20 of my gas station colleagues are about to declare bankruptcy. It's bad."
            "So I'm fed up with the Republicans. Tax cuts for the rich, the war--all that stuff. The middle class needs help. I'm finally convinced. I'm going for Obama. First time in my life, I tell you."
            I asked him about paying higher taxes.
            "I don't care about that. If I'm making money, I don't care. I'll pay my taxes. But I'm not going to make any money if the middle-class guy doesn't have money in his pocket to buy my gas or my food. I don't need the big tax cut right now. That's not going to bring the customers into my gas stations."
            Joe versus Sam. You could line up economists spouting elegant theories for each side, but the basic arguments can probably be reduced to Joe's and Sam's respective positions on very gut levels. Joe's never made $250,000, but he feels that if he ever reaches that threshold, he shouldn't be "penalized" for his success. He seems to believe that cutting taxes for wealthy individuals somehow serves his current financial interests and his aspirations for the future. Sam's already lived those trickle-down and dream-up Republican talking points but now rejects them with hard-won conviction.
            Were the two of them to meet and strike up a conversation, side by side on adjacent treadmills, I dare say that Sam would be giving Joe an earful, not the other way around.

Comment

Selfish idiot who does not understand the bigger picture.

Nuff a demn nuh want to contribute, but bawl when the bridges collapse!

Comment

He does not make anywhere near 250,000 either

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
                `Oct. 16 (Bloomberg) --

``Joe the plumber,'' the Toledo, Ohio, man whose complaints about Barack Obama's tax plan were featured in the final presidential debate, owes the state of Ohio almost $1,200 in back income taxes.
                According to records on file with the Lucas County Court of Common Pleas, the state filed a tax lien against Samuel J. Wurzelbacher for $1,182.98 on Jan. 26, 2007, that is still active.
                Wurzelbacher was thrust into the national spotlight this week when he told Obama he worried that the Illinois senator's proposals to roll back Bush administration tax breaks for Americans earning more than $250,000 would prevent him from buying a plumbing business that would earn between $250,000 and $280,000 a year.
                Republican John McCain, the Arizona senator, pointed to the exchange during the debate last night when he turned to the camera and said, ``I will not stand for a tax increase on small- business income.'' Directly criticizing Obama, he added, ``what you want to do to `Joe the plumber' and millions more like him is have their taxes increased and not be able to realize the American dream of owning their own business.''
                Today, at a rally in Downingtown, Pennsylvania, McCain said that ``the real winner last night was `Joe the plumber.'''
                Wurzelbacher's home telephone number is unlisted, and efforts to reach him by calling his neighbors and family were unsuccessful. Attempts to reach Wurzelbacher at the plumbing company where he works were also unsuccessful. The address on the lien and other records for him matched the address published by the Toledo Blade, which also noted the lien.
                A Lien
                The state of Ohio places a lien on real property after several steps to try to collect a tax debt, according to John Kohlstrand, a spokesman for the Ohio Department of Taxation who said he couldn't discuss any specific case.
                If a delinquency notice goes unheeded, the Department of Taxation issues a billing notice, Kohlstrand said. If that is ignored, a more formal assessment notice is sent. Failing to appeal an assessment or losing an appeal puts the debt into the hands of the state attorney general for collection. The attorney general typically sends a collection notice and simultaneously files a lien.
                ``The taxpayers may not necessarily know about the lien,'' Kohlstrand said, although they would receive other notices.
                In Wurzelbacher's case, the lien indicated that the notice was sent to a previous address in Toledo.
                Under Obama's proposal, Wurzelbacher would face about $900 more in taxes if he netted $280,000 of income from his new business, said Gerald Prante, a senior economist at the Tax Foundation, a Washington research group that is examining both candidates' plans. ``His average tax burden, the final bill he pays to the IRS isn't going to go up much if he's just making $280,000 a year,'' Prante said. He would face higher marginal tax costs to expand the business beyond that, he said.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=aWDHvDjnDnTs
                He would benefit from Obama's gurantee not to raise tax on incomes below $250,000 and would probably get a tax decrease. He is a republican!
                The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

Comment

When they finish disecting him, he will never open his mouth again.
                  "Jah Jah see dem a come, but I & I a Conqueror!"

Comment

when him finish give interviews he WILL make more than 250K

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Response to Joe:

Please login to rate.

Even if he weren't the son of a figure in the Keating Scandal, the whole thing would still be weird -- his beef is that IF he had the money to buy the company he works for, and IF that company then had $250,000 in annual profits, he'd have to pay 3% more in taxes under Obama's plan. But he does NOT have the money to buy the company, and we don't know WHAT its profits are.

You know what? IF I had the money to buy Microsoft, I'll bet I'd be paying a lot more money -- more than a puny 3% more -- on MY corporate profits. Good thing I don't have billions of billions of dollars to buy Microsoft, or I'd be in a real bind.

Joe the Plumber and John McCain are claiming that Obama is levying IMAGINARY taxes on our DAYDREAMS. I can live with that, and so can Joe the Unlicensed Plumber Son of a Convicted Felon and Keating Scandal Figure.

"Obama is levying IMAGINARY taxes on our DAYDREAMS."

Classic!

I should take a cue from Joe the Plumber and leave my wife so I can hook-up with Rihanna.

You actually stumbled on a point that not enough people are talking about. The worth of the overall business is $280,000. If he were to buy the business, it only produces an estimated $100,000 of revenue. What's being taxed is not the worth of the company, but how much it made. Thus Joe's hypothetical business would make more money since people and companies making $100,000 get a better shake with Obama's plan. Also, with Obama's plan, only the amount that exceeds the $250,000 mark would receive the higher tax rate, so even if the business did make, not just overall worth but actual revenue, $280, 000/year, only $30,000 of it would be subject to a higher tax rate. That wouldn't break him by any stretch of the imagination.

Of course, he hasn't actually offered to buy the business nor looked into a loan (not that anyone can get one of those right now), he's just talked about it in passing with the guy who currently owns it. Joe currently earns $40,000 a year. He most certainly would do a lot better under Obama's plan and he may even be able to save up the money to buy a business provided he gets his license and takes care of any lingering tax problems. The fact is, even if this guy was a plant and is related to Keating, that he, and his hypothetical business would still do better with Obama. In my mind that should be the focus of this story.

Stuigi 16 hours ago 1 point

Do you already have an account? Log in and claim this comment.
                      The more I hear about Joe, the more he appears to be a plant. According to the Diane Sawyer interview he did today, he has no real plan to buy the business, the business is currently comprised of the owner and Joe, the single employee.

The righteous indignation displayed by McCain's spin-meisters when they declared that Joe would have to lay off his workers and close the business due to Obama's tax increases was hysterical.

I was a bit chagrined that Obama didn't point out that business income and personal income were different things. Joe claimed the business made between 250 and 280k (I think). With expense deductions or by hiring a remotely competent accountant his income would certainly be below the threshold for the increase. The tax increase by going from 36 to 39% for income above 250k, would be about $600 per year. And finally, Joe said that presently he didn't make anywhere near 250K. As such, Obama's tax decrease would be better for Joe than McCain's plan.

By the way, according to NPR Fresh Air, Joe owes $1200 in back taxes to the state of Ohio. No Social Security, hates taxes? No, not a GOP plant.

JIMCT 3 hours ago 1 point

Excellent Post JDLUND!!

Comment

Working...
                      X