• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DJ Jigga ruled supreme at Heineken Green Synergy

DJ Jigga ruled supreme at Heineken Green Synergy
    By Dave Lindo
    Tuesday, October 14, 2008

DJ Jigga put all the doubtful Thomases to rest when he not only won the Jamaica finals, but also secured his spot at the Regional Finals to be held in Curacao on October 25.

The Heineken Green Synergy Competition saw a capacity crowd inside the Chinese Benevolent Association headquarters and also a huge crowd on the outside who watched the excitement on big screens set up by the Main Events team.
    Heineken's country manager Frederique Asberg makes the presentation to winner DJ Jigga (Photo: Jermaine Barnaby)
    With the choice drink, Heineken, flowing throughout the night, the stage was set for a wonderful event which was watched by Heineken country manager Frederique Asberg, and brand manager Kerri-Ann McKenzie.
    The Dance Expression Group, with their top man Orville, added much excitement to the proceedings, displaying some dynamic dance moves.
    DJ Jigga was first announced as the winner of the Jamaica finals getting the nod over DJ Rohan. The Jamaica finals was decided by votes. Many thought that if Jigga won the Jamaica finals he would have a hard time competing against his Caribbean rivals who were said to be superior in technical skills such as mixing, scratching and body tricks.
    DJ Rohan, who possesses excellent technical skills, was thought to have a better chance if he won to represent for Jamaica. Jigga, however, proved them wrong competing against DJ Xcess from Cayman, DJ Broke-As-Hell from the Bahamas, DJ Richie from Belize, DJ D from the US Virgin Island sand DJ Flava from Bermuda.
    The deejays were being judged by their musical selections, turn table techniques and crowd response.
    Playing first was DJ Xcess who unleashed an exciting set with on-the-spot remixes which had the crowd in awe. He played an entertaining set with a balanced mix of popular dancehall, soca and hip hop.
    DJ Broke-As-Hell brought to the tables some dazzling scratches and mixes, including using his nose, but failed to keep the crowd entertained with musical selections.
    The man from Belize, DJ Richie, stepped up on stage and first expressed his love for Jamaica. He then blazed a 'wicked fire' playing a well-put-together set, playing from foundation reggae music to some hard-hitting dancehall tracks.
    DJ Richie had the crowd jumping as he played a segment of Mavado versus Vybz Kartel.
    DJ D from the US Virgin island failed to excite the crowd and was boring throughout his set.
    DJ Jigga, with the full backing of the crowd, made his intentions clear as he kicked off his segment with Sizzla's Rise to The Occasion. Although having some early hiccups with some missed timed mixing, DJ Jigga grew from strength to strength and set the crowd on fire, as he played Half Pint's Greetings then Super Cat's Under Pressure. Growing in confidence, he reeled off Bone Crusher's Never Scared and then Mavado's Slow Singing which heated up the crowd. Jigga kept on that high vibes throughout his set.
    DJ Flava from Bermuda, one of last year's regional finalist evidently was not as prepared this time around and displayed a weak set.
    At the end the judges panel, which included Collin Hinds from FAME FM, chose DJ Jigga and DJ Richie out of Belize as the top two DJs to advance to the regional finals in Curacao.
    After the contest Jigga said he was overwhelmed, "It means a lot to my career, I am really happy."
    As to his formula for success, he said with a smile, "It's just giving the people what they want, I play for the people. Some of the DJs do too much scratching and don't play enough music."
    DJ Richie was equally elated. "I knew I could do it, the whole of Belize was depending on me so I had to represent for them." Commenting on the favourable response he got from the Jamaica crowd he said. "It was just a great feeling. I love Jamaica. I keep a lot of shows in Belize with Jamaican artistes. Dancehall is big in Belize. Jamaica is my place. I love the people."
    As winner of the Jamaica finals Jigga received $1,000, 000, a one-month internship at FAME FM and, courtesy of world renowned promoter/ artiste manager Copeland Forbes, Jigga along with DJ Rohan, received a three-month contract to play at the Reggae Pub in Thailand.
    DJ Rohan received $200,000 while semi-finalist DJ Diamond who on the night did an exceptional job as the resident DJ along with DJ Cide received $50,000 each.
    The night culminated with an exciting play-off between top sounds Swatch international with Jazzy J and the Fire Sound with Fire Links.

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/lifes...N_SYNERGY_.asp
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

"DJ Broke-As-Hell " ... well, its a lucky thing he never won cause him would affi change him name.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Working...
    X