Meanwhile, in Trinidad & Tobago....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meanwhile, in Trinidad & Tobago....

My Source: An extract I took from from a speech by Trinidad & Tobago’s Prime Minister Patrick Manning as he launched the construction of the Tamana Intech Park in Wallerfield, April 9, 2007.

As a location, it is clear that Wallerfiled is emerging as a geographical indicator of north eastern development in Trinidad, a development which must in time bring Trinidad and Tobago even closer to each other in all kinds of ways. The consequence of closer ties must redound to the benefit of both islands, in terms of transportation, shared development of all kinds and a genuine forging of mutual identity.

But more than that, the Wallerfiled Estate, the home of The University of Trinidad and Tobago and The Tamana InTeck Park now for me the nucleus of a new city to emerge in the East. Balanced with ecological sensitivity to industrialization, I see no reason at all to prevent the outcome of prosperity in an environment, which is healthy and beautiful, for all of our people.

Today, therefore, is undoubtedly one of celebration. Anchored in our tradition, driven by our new University of Trinidad and Tobago with its cutting edge education for contemporary thought and action, and sustained by solid governmental support, we can be certain that Vision 2020 will achieve its objective long before the year 2020.

There are of course those who have never understood the government’s industrial development policy since 1976.

Some, either ostensibly or otherwise, appear unwilling to relate positively to any aspect of what we have achieved and are seeking to do.

Ladies and gentlemen, I recall very vividly the coming into being of Point Lisas which has since then taken us into natural gas, iron and steel, ammonia, urea and methanol.

Point Lisas constitutes our first industrial revolution. Let us make no mistake about what is happening here today.

We are today taking the industrial development and transformation of Trinidad and Tobago into a whole new realm, into the start of our second industrial revolution.
    This will see the realization of our industrial revolution in terms of the non- oil sector.
    New sectors, Merchant Marine, Printing and Packaging, Music and Entertainment, Yachting.

This is the newest industrial centre in Trinidad, at which new non oil industries are going to be developed so that in respect of these industries Trinidad and Tobago will take its rightful place in the world regarding any of the products and services to be developed here, in much the same way as we have already done in respect of natural gas, ammonia, urea and methanol and so on.

Ladies and gentlemen, Tamana InTeck Park and Wallerfiled now forms the core of the new industrial sector of Trinidad and Tobago, and all aspects of the development of the non energy sector have now been placed in the hands of eTeck.

The long desired path to outright economic diversification is now firmly in our grasp, and the government is extremely confident about the rapid industrial development that will now take place in the non oil sector and in the industrial zone, so much so that, in light of our full employment situation, the Government believes that it is now necessary to review our position on immigration.

We are determined to press ahead for the fullest development of the Caribbean Single Economy and trade liberalization within our region and in the external context.
    The fact of the matter is that Tamana InTeck Park now promises us a forum for present and future producers and leaders to develop knowledge, products and services so as to shape the next economy of Trinidad and Tobago.

The Happy Fiddlers

While Manley, Patterson, Simpson-Miller and Golding fiddled and played their dancehall tunes, Trinidad blossomed and prospered!

Comment

3 murders in 2 weeks in the BVI.....this place is getiing pretty violent. years ago it used to be 1 and sometimes none!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
        3 murders in 2 weeks in the BVI.....this place is getiing pretty violent. years ago it used to be 1 and sometimes none!
        This is a sad and surprising development for the British Virgin islands, Gamma! I haven't seen any statistics from Bermuda recently, but I would be surprised if they are not facing a similar increase. Even isolated, crime-free Tobago was in the news a few days ago for the wrong reason (murder of an elderly European couple)!

The truth is, however, that virtually every Caribbean country is experiencing sharp increases in violent crimes, including homicide! None, however, displays the impressive statistics as our beloved Jamaica with its more than 60 homicides annually per 100,000 of the population! Surely that ranks us in the big leagues with places like South Africa and Brazil.

And whereas some of these countries have immensely high homicide rates per capita (example, Trinidad, the Bahamas, St Lucia and Guyana), at least their crime problem is "balanced" (to put it crudely) by some measure of economic prosperity (except for Guyana, of course)! St Lucia is quite stable economically, Bahamas has the strongest economy in the Caribbean region, and Trinidad is the region's industrial power.

But Jamaica....?

Comment

Originally posted by Historian View Post
          But Jamaica....?
          A we have di whole a dem a dance Gully Creepa, so stay deh!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

heheheeeeeee

i jusss doh what else to do wid you.....
            The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Working...
            X