No announcement yet.

Jamaica land being given away again!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jamaica land being given away again!!!!

Thousand of acres given to Brazilians and not a comment. Guess we too caught up with US politics.

http://www.jamaica-gleaner.com/glean...business3.html

Given away how? They are selling to people who know what they are doing and getting and maintaining a significant interest in the project.

Comment

And they are paying 3 times the sum identified in the heads of agreement.

And they are Brazilian. We love them!

Relax, Exile!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

I don't overstand Exile's comment either. The end of the Sugar Company of Ja is a good ting!
        Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

3 times more to lease the land but the numbers for the purchase of sugar factory and ethanol plant seem low plus the government get's stuck paying the debt.

Comment

31,000 ha (74,00 acres) for 25 years!!! Only 50% to be used for sugarcane. What will the other 50% used for?????

Comment

This has to happen and more will as
              the age of information moves along. it's now apparent why education will
              be seen as national security. We can now clearly see that Dr. henry wilson slept whilst being MOE. One should asked if the deal was penciled so that the students of cast would be coopted in this biofuel deal.

This is why it irks me to see the word intellectual being bandied about in the news media. We are out of our depth and other nations has no choice but to do what they have to.

It's a fact that our system of education was in heited from the colonial period; this system in itself was designed to go nowhere. Only one leader tried tochange it in the 70s but was unsuccessful and now we reap the sour grapes. I do not want to hear about brain drain, this is a tired excuse. If we had a solid system in place"brain drain" would not be an argument. We have a system in track and field, hence the results.

Ja needs to establish a school of history and political science. I'm also happy that Nanny P has brought the island to ponder the word leadership and intellectual.

Comment

25 years? That is a typical long term lease. What is the issue.

Comment

All will be used. The 50% is in relation to what that plant will supply them while the other 50% will be supplied by local farmers.

Comment

Originally posted by Exile View Post
                    31,000 ha (74,00 acres) for 25 years!!! Only 50% to be used for sugarcane. What will the other 50% used for?????
                    Football fields maybe??
                    TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Originally posted by Exile View Post
                      Thousand of acres given to Brazilians and not a comment. Guess we too caught up with US politics.

http://www.jamaica-gleaner.com/glean...business3.html
                      The whole thing is a sweet as sugar deal for Infinity.

Essentially they got 75% of the state owned sugar cane infrastructure plus a valuable ethanol plant in exchange for merely committing to capitalize the business.

Jamaica gets stuck with a mere 25% stake and the task of liquidating US$300m in debt.

Perhaps this was the best that could have been done .... but I doubt it.

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

Comment

Not sure how much better they could have done seeing that they received bids from 8 entities.

My concern is the financial health of the brazilian company.

Comment

Originally posted by Me View Post
                          All will be used. The 50% is in relation to what that plant will supply them while the other 50% will be supplied by local farmers.
                          If that is true.. you must be using another information source.. the article does not support your statement.

It says:

Government still has not disclosed the SCJ's total land holdings, but Donovan Stanberry, permanent secretary in the Ministry of Agriculture, said the lands being leased to Infinity represented the greater portion controlled by the five sugar factories - Bernard Lodge in St Catherine, Monymusk in Clarendon, Duckenfield in St Thomas, Frome in Westmoreland, and Long Pond in Trelawny.

He said a small portion would be allocated to displaced workers either to farm sugar cane, or alternative crops, and for the development of social [COLOR=orange! important][COLOR=orange! important]housing[/COLOR][/COLOR] and infrastructure in the cane-growing communities. Infinity will be using the 31,000 hectares to grow just about 50 per cent of the 2.5 million tonnes of sugar cane it needs for its business lines - sugar, molasses, ethanol - and electricity by 2013.

Comment

There is no definitive statement in that article regarding what portion of the land will NOT be used for cane.

I see mediocre reading and comprehension continues to be a plague on the site.

Comment

[quote=Maudib;I see mediocre reading and comprehension continues to be a plague on the site.[/quote]
                              You prove your own point!!

Thanks for supporting my position.. and at the same time embodying your own point about poor comprehension.. that takes real talent!
                              Last edited by Don1; October 10, 2008, 09:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X