Rantings of a bruised ego – Dr. Davis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rantings of a bruised ego – Dr. Davis

Former Cabinet Secretary, Dr. Carlton Davis, has weighed in on the on-going war of words between Contractor General Greg Christie and Finance Minister Audley Shaw.

Reacting to Mr. Christie's strident release to the media on Monday, in which he accused the Finance Ministry of circumventing his office in the granting of exemptions to four public bodies, Dr. Davis said the Contractor General was overreacting.

He said Mr. Christie's reaction to the exemptions sounded like the rantings of a bruised ego.

"I must say with great regret that I think that there's an ego matter at play here and not a matter in which one side is certainly careless about how taxpayers' money is spent and another side that feels that he and only he knows exactly what to do and I really can't accept that in governance," said dr. Davis.

Mr. Shaw had dismissed the Contractor General's suggestion that the amendments were done without adequate consultation.

He explained that they were first considered in March 2007 after petitions from several public bodies.

Mr. Shaw said Mr. Christie was fully aware of the developments.

Poor handling by the Gov't - PNP

And the People's National Party (PNP) says it is surprised at the turn of events concerning the exemption of the four entities from Government Procurement Policies.

PNP Chairman Robert Pickersgill says the situation has been poorly handled by the Golding administration.

"I gather, I don't know for sure, that they were talking with the Contractor General, but I don't know where it ended because the Contractor General is up in arms and I think I heard him say that the Minister of Finance has misled the country," he said.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)
Working...
X