Christie/Shaw's war of words to continue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christie/Shaw's war of words to continue

The war of words between the Office of the Contractor-General and the Minister of Finance over the exemption of some state entities from Government procurement guidelines is expected to increase.
    Contractor-General Greg Christie has promised to issue a statement on Monday, in response to claims made by Finance Minister Audley Shaw in a press release issued on Friday.

Mr. Christie said the Finance Minister may have misled the public in his response to criticism to the exemptions granted to Air Jamaica, Petrojam, the Port Authority and the Jamaica Tourist Board.

Mr. Shaw had dismissed the Contractor General's suggestion that the amendments were done without adequate consultation.
    He claimed that they were first considered in March 2007 after petitions from several public bodies.
    Mr. Shaw said the Contractor-General was fully aware of the developments.

However, when RJR News contacted Mr. Christie, he said the Finance Minister had not presented all the facts.
    In a release on Thursday, the Contractor-General strongly critised the decision to release the entities from the guidelines.

http://www.radiojamaica.com/content/view/12172/52/
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

What a Prekeh...Genius backs the Capeman!

I will give Christie the benefit of the doubt over politicians though....

Davies sides with Shaw over contract exemptions
    published: Monday | October 6, 2008

Arthur Hall, Senior Staff Reporter

The Government has found itself with an unlikely ally in its battle with the Office of the Contractor General over a Cabinet decision to exempt four entities from the guidelines regarding the issuing of contracts.
    It appears that the Opposition People's National Party (PNP) will be siding with the Bruce Golding administration, despite the criticisms from Contractor General Greg Christie.
    Opposition Spokesman on Finance, Dr Omar Davies, yesterday made it clear that the PNP understood the reasons behind the Cabinet decision and would not be opposing it.
    "They (the Cabinet) are not saying you can do anything you want but, under certain circumstances, you can do sole sourcing without having to go through the bid process. So if we don't oppose it, you must understand why," Davies said as he responded to a PNP supporter during a meeting of the party's Region Three at The Mico University College yesterday.
    Davies hit a note similar to that of Finance Minister Audley Shaw as he further explained what may have guided the Opposition's position.
    "In certain instances, where firms are involved in certain competitive activities, that rule (the procurement guidelines) can throw them out of business and it is for that reason those exemptions are being made," Davies added.
    According to the former finance minister, the Government's contract guidelines, if followed to the letter, would be inimical to the sustainability of some organisations.
    "Like Air Jamaica flying the A300 Airbus and something happens to a door, what they have to do is to get that door immediately. They cannot say bring me three bids for that door, they have to immediately fix the door," Davies argued.
    Slammed
    The Government and the Office of the Contractor General have been at odds since last Thursday when Christie slammed the Golding administration over its decision to exempt Air Jamaica, Petrojam, Jamaica Tourist Board and Jamaica Vacations Limited from the application of the rules governing the awarding of contracts.
    On Friday, Shaw responded, charging that the Office of the Contractor General was well aware of the special circumstances which caused the Cabinet to decide to exempt the entities from the Government Procurement Procedures Handbook.
    According to Shaw, compliance with the procurement procedures was imposing severe constraints on the ability of the entities to conduct their businesses efficiently.
    Shaw argued that, although classified as public groups, entities such as Air Jamaica and Petrojam are commercial entities operating to make a profit in a competitive environment. arthur.hall@gleanerjm.com

Comment

At stage does government decide which entity is regulated and what is not?

Do your thing Mr.Christie. Get rid of their pork barrell sah. There are other ways of doing it. They must be watched with eagle eyes.
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

LOL!!! this is funny to me!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
          At stage does government decide which entity is regulated and what is not?

Do your thing Mr.Christie. Get rid of their pork barrell sah. There are other ways of doing it. They must be watched with eagle eyes.
          The gov't isn't opposed to the work of Mr. Christie. The examples given by Omar and Shaw should make sense. Even this morning the former Cabinet Sec. sided with the position of the government.

By the way .... how pork barrel come inna dis? Yuh sounding like McSame now.
          "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

"The gov't isn't opposed to the work of Mr. Christie. The examples given by Omar and Shaw should make sense. Even this morning the former Cabinet Sec. sided with the position of the government."

Mr Davis get promotion

Comment

Originally posted by 1of1 View Post
              "The gov't isn't opposed to the work of Mr. Christie. The examples given by Omar and Shaw should make sense. Even this morning the former Cabinet Sec. sided with the position of the government."

Mr Davis get promotion
              A broken clock can be right don't it?

Comment

Lazie how do you make a difference to exclude Air Ja and not Petro Caribe fund.

The excempted agencies can do business with friends and political supporters. I think to exempt them is a way of bypassing the process for political gains, not in the best interest of the people.
                • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Lazie how do you make a difference to exclude Air Ja and not Petro Caribe fund.

The excempted agencies can do business with friends and political supporters. I think to exempt them is a way of bypassing the process for political gains, not in the best interest of the people.
                  They are still open for review by the CG, I hope yuh know that. Did you read the article posted by Willi?

Comment

Lazie the government don't change the law instead of going around it?

Loophole if you ask me. If is in good faith and goodwill then I am sure the OCG with work with them.

Shaw and Omar have fi come better than that.

Comment

Lazie the government don't change the law instead of going around it?

Loophole if you ask me. If is in good faith and goodwill then I am sure the OCG with work with them.

Shaw and Omar have fi come better than that.
                      What kind of a loophole yuh talking bout Sass? The OCG can walk in and review their activities when him want ... suh what kind of a loophole yuh talking bout? As the former CS gave his interview this morning, he used a term, "over prosecute"

Now I see this has moved from questioning the move by the cabinet to questioning if he (OCG) was informed of the move. If he wasn't then there is something to knock the gov't for ....

Comment

Yuh nuh easy yuh nuh,

Comment

mi use to spend taxpayers money and there were some items which were only provided by one or a few vendors, there were cases when we had to purchase emergency parts and in most cases we still had a vendor who was approved with the best possible price and it didn't have to go to bid.

what the government is saying it has to be done now and without any guideline which is what got Kern into trouble.

Comment

Working...
                          X